Help with creating my own skin (Spider-Man: Web of Shadows)

Started by D_47, July 19, 2010, 02:37PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How exactly do I make my own skin?

I realize I can grab a texture from the game with Texmod, but there is 1548 I believe (give or take). Do I just have to sit through all of them and find the right picture to edit in photoshop?

Or am I just missing everything when it comes to creating my own skin?

Anything would be appreciated!
Scarlet Spider needs to be in a Spidey movie!

July 19, 2010, 04:37PM #1 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:53PM by edwardfools
skins are located at:C:\Program Files\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\actors (as default) it might as be C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\actors
They are named by number, each character has it's own number for example blade number is 01, so all the skins starting with 01 and ending with two other numbers are his like 0101, 0102, 0103, and so on.
Look here: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4266.0.html as you can see some are three number ending and two.

It's really quite simple follow this:

1.Download the pack that nodoubt_jr made that has all the ps2 skins for mua, xlm2, and xml. (Search for it)
2.Download NRskinnerV1_6 and install it.
3.For mua theres a ps2offset topic in the knowledge base. Copy all the offset into NRskinner.cfg on the program folder.
Example:7802.igb ps2 256 256 52311 85019 .
4.For xml2 non ps2 skins there is a offset center to...you would need to post the offset starting with the skin number, dxt3, and all the sizes with the start number.
Eample:10202.igb dxt3 256 256 82619 128 128 49707 64 64 69331 32 32 35015 16 16 36119 .
5.Put in the skin you want to edit into the NRskinnerV1_6 folder, if your not sure what skin there pictures here and the ps2offsets have the name of the skins.
6.run NRskinnerSE.exe press1 to get a bmp(picture) file, type the ign file like example: 0101.igb, then whatever you want to call the bmp file ending with bmp.
7. Now run Gimp or photoshop load your bmp, change the setting to rgb you do this by going to image, mode, rgb.
8. Edt the image how ever you want, now change the setting to indexed by going to image, mode, indexed and press ok.
9.Now go to save as, and save it as a dds file by changing just the bmp part into dds, check the Generate Mipmaps option, AND IF ITS A XML2 NON PS2 THEN MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AS DXT3 and save it.
10.Now go back to NRskinnerSE.exe press 0, type the igb, then the name of the dds, and press enter, your done! Place it in the actor folder from the games dictionary(remember to name it the what ever skin your replacing or make a copy of a skin you want to keep and place it as that one just to test it out.

I had trouble at first but I think this would help you.

Also remember that ps2 skin could be use on both xml2 and mua, mua pc skins are dxt1(I think) and xml2 pc skins are dxt3.

More info? look into mr.law instructions: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,2398.0.html

Quote from: edwardfools on July 19, 2010, 04:37PM
skins are located at:C:\Program Files\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\actors (as default) it might as be C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\actors
They are named by number, each character has it's own number for example blade number is 01, so all the skins starting with 01 and ending with two other numbers are his like 0101, 0102, 0103, and so on.
Look here: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4266.0.html

It's really quite simple follow this:

1.Download the pack that nodoubt_jr made that has all the ps2 skins for mua, xlm2, and xml. (Search for it)
2.Download NRskinnerV1_6 and install it.
3.For mua theres a ps2offset topic in the knowledge base. Copy all the offset into NRskinner.cfg on the program folder.
4.For xml2 non ps2 skins there is a offset center to...you would need to post the offset starting with the skin number, dxt3, and all the sizes with the start number.
5.Put in the skin you want to edit into the NRskinnerV1_6 folder, if your not sure what skin there pictures here and the ps2offsets have the name of the skins.
6.run NRskinnerSE.exe press1 to get a bmp(picture) file, type the ign file like example: 0101.igb, then whatever you want to call the bmp file ending with bmp.
7. Now run Gimp or photoshop load your bmp, change the setting to rgb you do this by going to image, mode, rgb.
8. Edt the image how ever you want, now change the setting to indexed by going to image, mode, indexed and press ok.
9.Now go to save as, and save it as a dds file by changing just the bmp part into dds, check the Generate Mipmaps option, AND IF ITS A XML2 NON PS2 THEN MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AS DXT3 and save it.
10.Now go back to NRskinnerSE.exe press 0, type the igb, then the name of the dds, and press enter, your done! Place it in the actor folder from the games dictionary(remember to name it the what ever skin your replacing or make a copy of a skin you want to keep and place it as that one just to test it out.

I had trouble at first but I think this would help you.

Also remember that ps2 skin could be use on both xml2 and mua, mua pc skins are dxt1(I think) and xml2 pc skins are dxt3.

Thanks, that really helped!

Quick question: Will this work for Spider-Man: Web of Shadows if I manage to get the package containing Spidey's costume, or is Web of Shadows a whole new ball park? On top of Ultimate Alliance I was interested in modding Spidey's normal red outfit, it just looks bad to me.

Oops sorry I didn't notice this wasn't on the mua side. I'm sure someone else could help you.(really I was just trying to help)

Quote from: edwardfools on July 19, 2010, 04:55PM
Oops sorry I didn't notice this wasn't on the mua side. I'm sure someone else could help you.(really I was just trying to help)

No! You did a great job of explaining things, and it's really going to help me here soon (I'll soon be buying MUA). Thanks so much, again!

Actually for Nrskinner you press 1 hit enter type in a igb name.(o4o1.igb) hit enter and type in a something like storm.dds and it has to be dds or it's not gonna work.

It in the knowledge base for MUA

^Lies^ Have you tried it(beside pressing enter which should be logical)? I'm not trying to argue but I have done ps2 and xml2 pc this way and the knowledge base could be a little confusing.

Yes i have tried doing saving as a bmp.Maybe it didn't work for you cause you didn't install the dds plugins for GIMP.Once i open it in GIMP i save as a bmp and edit

That's the thing You don't have to save as a dds then convert it, and yes I have the dds plugin. It's just bmp/dds not dds/bmp/something/dds. Maybe you did mua pc skins which I never done.

no i used the ps2 skins that i downloaded in the Xml2 mod releases.Maybe it doesn't work for me when i save it as 0401.bmp but i'll probably work for other people.Your tutorial looked great btw.I just wanted to point something out :)

So is there a thread explaining how to create Spider-Man WoS skins, or something else that can help me?

nothing difficult, check it:
at first you have to install Texmod somehow :3 It's better to create a folder with it somewhere in the folder of game,
just like
"D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod"- for example ^^

after that you have to open texmod.exe, select an application and  choose "Logging Mode". There, mark points "Show Texture..." and "Replace Texture...". choose the button for logging and folder for putting textures in. I recommend you to call it somehow like "Backup".

then, click buttom "run" and during the game press buttons + and - using the NumPad to scroll textures. Every time you watch some texture, in the game model covered with this texture will become green. I hope you will find Spidey's textures (6 for costumes, 1 for webs, 2 for shilds, 1 for tentacles and more-more-more, I believe you need costume textures)))), then log every texture and freely leave the game. In the marked folder you will find your textures and file called texmod.log.

Here you will see something like that:

0x1D51ED58|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x1D51ED58.bmp
0xFBFCE874|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0xFBFCE874.bmp
0x1327B796|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x1327B796.bmp
0x6C03F0A0|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x6C03F0A0.bmp
0x4728B4B4|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x4728B4B4.bmp
0xA893AD3A|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0xA893AD3A.bmp

so, the first part means the texture how is it named in the game. I reccomend you to not to touch it.
next part is the path to your texture, its name and filename extension.

so, copy your folder with textures, call the copy with the name of your future skin (to know what this folder contains), then in CS2/3/4 edit textures (i can not teach you how to do that, try it many times) and in texmod.log change the destination of files to needed. Check it for mistakes.

Now, open texmod.exe and choose "Package Build". Then, choose the definition file (modded texmod.log), creator name (your own ^^) and description of your mod. Then, press "Build", choose the path for your mod, name of your mod and... it seems that's all!))

Aww, I hope you know how to use packages)))

P.S.: excuse me for my English)
Why so Ultimate?

Quote from: kolbaser on July 23, 2010, 12:13AM
nothing difficult, check it:
at first you have to install Texmod somehow :3 It's better to create a folder with it somewhere in the folder of game,
just like
"D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod"- for example ^^

after that you have to open texmod.exe, select an application and  choose "Logging Mode". There, mark points "Show Texture..." and "Replace Texture...". choose the button for logging and folder for putting textures in. I recommend you to call it somehow like "Backup".

then, click buttom "run" and during the game press buttons + and - using the NumPad to scroll textures. Every time you watch some texture, in the game model covered with this texture will become green. I hope you will find Spidey's textures (6 for costumes, 1 for webs, 2 for shilds, 1 for tentacles and more-more-more, I believe you need costume textures)))), then log every texture and freely leave the game. In the marked folder you will find your textures and file called texmod.log.

Here you will see something like that:

0x1D51ED58|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x1D51ED58.bmp
0xFBFCE874|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0xFBFCE874.bmp
0x1327B796|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x1327B796.bmp
0x6C03F0A0|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x6C03F0A0.bmp
0x4728B4B4|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0x4728B4B4.bmp
0xA893AD3A|D:\Games\Activision\Team JPN\SpiderMan Web of Shadows\Texmod\backup\SPIDER-MAN WEB OF SHADOWS.EXE_0xA893AD3A.bmp

so, the first part means the texture how is it named in the game. I reccomend you to not to touch it.
next part is the path to your texture, its name and filename extension.

so, copy your folder with textures, call the copy with the name of your future skin (to know what this folder contains), then in CS2/3/4 edit textures (i can not teach you how to do that, try it many times) and in texmod.log change the destination of files to needed. Check it for mistakes.

Now, open texmod.exe and choose "Package Build". Then, choose the definition file (modded texmod.log), creator name (your own ^^) and description of your mod. Then, press "Build", choose the path for your mod, name of your mod and... it seems that's all!))

Aww, I hope you know how to use packages)))

P.S.: excuse me for my English)

Thanks so much, exactly what I needed!

It´s not for Wii, only PC.

Can tell me anywere which texture i must change to eliminate the purple glow at the Black Suite Texture ?

Maybe can tell me which Texture i must directly change the Red and Black Suites only suite ?

Sorry for my bad english :-)