Reviews on Marvel Comics

Started by MarvelFan12345, January 27, 2011, 07:20PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 27, 2011, 07:20PM Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:23PM by MarvelFan12345
This being a forum on marvel I thought I'd make a thread where you can review any marvel comics you have from the newest releases, back-issues, trade paperbacks, hardcovers, etc. more. People can post reviews and others can comment on them. One thing that everyone should caution with is that this thread will have spoilers for the newest stories and if you don't want them then you should probably not look at the posts. All reviews that are posted, I'll add to the table of contents here for fast access. If anyone knows how to change the format of the table of contents so that the url dissapears and you get the link by clicking on the comic's name, then that would be appreciated.

Total Reviews
Age of X: Alpha - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,5690.msg111440.html#msg111440

This being my first review, just wanted to say that it probably isn't very good so don't judge to harshly. I have a feeling that I included more info and pics than most people would probably prefer.

Age of X: Alpha Review

The opening of Age of X, we get a look at this alternate universe's world as well as the people in it. A lot of characters seem very different without Xavier. This issue also gives us the backstories of Scott Summers/Basilisk, Cannonball and Husk, Dr. Kavita Rao and Wolverine, and Fortress X (home of the mutant rebels).

Basically in this world humans fear mutants even more than in the 616 universe. Drastic measures have been taken like the ones in Days of Future Past due to the actions of the mutant terrorist Magneto and the accident in Albany caused by Phoenix. Now these mutant rebels are at Fortress X, expecting an attack by the humans and their dreaded leader who is called the Governor. After their scouts detect no one these rebels gather around the campfire, remembering their past which turned them into their present selves.

Scott Summers/Basilisk is the first we are introduced too. He remembers how in his past he was the prisoner of Arcade, the leader of a facility which exterminates mutants. Scott's eyelids were cut off so that his optic beams would always be turned on and he would be forced to kill the innocent mutants, just because of their x-genes. Arcade taunts Scott but Scott manages to escape from his bonds and after defeating the guards he murders Arcade in the same way Arcade forced him to murder the mutants. Afterwards Scott leads the remaining mutants at the facility and they leave.

Next we are introduced to Cannonball's backstory which features Husk. Husk is on the run by soldiers sent on killing her. She defeats them easily and regroups with her brother, Cannonball, as they find several trucks filled with captive mutants. The two are searching for their mother and siblings but Husk is shocked to find their dead bodies in a garbage truck filled with corpses of other mutants. Husk is furious but shocked to find that Cannonball does not show remorse or take the lives of the soldiers who killed their family. Husk then vows never to return to flesh and blood form for as long as Cannonball does not show emotion for his lost family.

Next is Kavita Rao's backstory which features Wolverine. Rao is a scientist working with the Age of X's reality version of Pandemic. The two have created a mutant cure although Rao regrets making it and Pandemic's intentions for it. Suddenly Wolverine arrives, on a mission to destroy the cure. Rao reveals that the only way is for Wolverine to take it himself. With no other choice Wolverine injects himself with the cure and loses his powers but is then attacked by Pandemic. To save Wolverine, Rao is forced to kill Pandemic only to find Wolverine asking Rao to kill him. Wolverine reveals that without his healing factor, the adamantium in his body will kill him and Rao should finish him off now. Rao is relucant and has no idea what to do until guards come for Wolverine. Remorsefully Rao ends Wolverine's life quickly and to this day wonders if she saved him or cost him.

Finally we get to Toad's narratation which is about the creation of Fortress X. Toad, Forge, Dust, and several other mutants are in Chrysler Building surrounded by human soldiers. The mutants fear for their lives until Mystique and the Mastermind sisters arrive and hold off the guards. Magneto then arrives, shocking the humans and mutants as they had believed Magneto to be dead. Magneto claims he is not here to hurt the humans but to save his fellow mutants and raises the Chrysler Building and multiple other buildings into the sky, which become Fortress X.

With the stories at the campfire over the mutants realize that the humans are here and they rush off, prepared for battle.

Writing
As I said before this is the opening for the Age of X event and really helps get an understanding for the world and the character's backstories. Interesting to note that this is not considered the official chapter 1 for Age of X. I still enjoyed the writing of the issue and this is one of the few X-Issues I have enjoyed in the present day (besides Uncanny X-Force) but that is probably because we are away from Earth 616. What I really loved was how we got to see flashbacks from the characters and I was longing for more by the end of the story. I suppose Age of X Universe 1 and 2 will give us more background info but it won't only include the Age of X's version of the X-Men.

Art
We get gorgeous art out of 5 artists and everyone probably has their own favorite depending on their personal art style. My favs would be the artists who drew Rao's flashback and the present day although the others are not bad at all. However neither Chris Bachalo nor Olivier Coipel, who drew the covers, draw the inside of the book.

Total Score
Full 10 out of 10!
Pretty good score for my first review. I certainly don't plan to continue with this genorosity though :) My only complaint for this issue was that there should have been more but four stories is better than less. I would certainly recommend this issue, mostly to X-Fans as they will enjoy it the most. Its the best for X-Fans who have become disillusioned with the current stories of the X-Men so I would totally put it on my pull list. The story is continued in X-Men Legacy 245.

MarvelFan12345,

What a superb review!!!  I really enjoyed your style and how you organized everything.  And, for me, you included the right amount of pics.  Thumbs up!
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927

the review is very good, i like it. the story was good, but i actually expected them to explain what happened at the day the original X-men were supposed to assemble, but i think it will be explained in the first chapter

Who else of you clowns think I'm crazy and ugly??? None? Good, 'cause I need to go to the next circus and kill other clowns. Why, you ask? 'Cause I HATE CIRCUS!!!

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

This is like a Hugely Awesome review!!!! Fantastic job!

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

OMG I totally didn't even realize that! Thanks so much :D

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS