X-Pantheon

Started by MarvelFan12345, March 03, 2011, 06:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 03, 2011, 06:23PM Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:29PM by MarvelFan12345
Saw somebody make this thread at CBR and I liked it enough to make a thread of it here. Basic objective is to name an X-Man and what role he or she would have if he or she was a god or goddess.

Here are some of my own.

Jean Grey - Goddess of Cycles (Life, Death, Resurrection) and Family
Storm - Goddess of Nature
Cyclops - God of Leadership
Iceman - God of Water and Ice
Magma - Goddess of Earth
Sunfire - God of Fire
Gambit - God of Thieves and Food
Cable - God of War and Weaponry
Bishop - God of Time and Space
Northstar - God of Light
Danielle Moonstar - Goddess of Illusions and Fear
Husk - Goddess of Form
Dust - Goddess of Sand
Colossus - God of Strength and Nobility
Nightcrawler - God of the Arts
Magneto - God of the North Magnetic Pole
Polaris - Goddess of the South Magnetic Pole
Scarlet Witch - Goddess of Reality
Wolverine - God of the Hunt and Alcohol
Havok - God of Energy and the Sun
Beast - God of the Forge
Emma Frost - Goddess of Manipulation and Cunning
Angel - God of Flight and Birds
Quicksilver - God of Speed
Professor X - God of Wisdom and the Mind
Mystique - Goddess of Stealth
Psylocke - Goddess of Combat

Can't think of anything for Rogue and Kitty Pryde.

Maybe kitty could be goddess of strategy or intellect since she is very smart.  Maybe prof x can be god of the gods

I would say petra could also be goddess of earth and nightcrawler could be god of ethics, or of the night.

Mystique could be goddess of trickery.
MY deviantART account: http://blacklynxkuroi.deviantart.com/

Really good ideas. I knew Kitty was really smart but strategy or intellect didn't ever occur to me. I guess Magma would be better off as the Goddess of Volcanos or something and Petra being the Goddess of Earth. I like your ideas for Nightcrawler much better than mine btw and same for Mystique. Although it is similar to Emma's I think Mystique could be the Goddess of Stealth and Trickery. BTW you don't just have to go off from my list, you can make your own for other characters I listed unless you agree with them all.

I didn't even see mystique on your list.  I guess she just blended in so well with your list (no pun intended)

I guess dazzler could be goddess of song
Domino goddess of luck or arm (like weapons)
maybe rogue could be goddess of might/strength if she had ms marvels powers

Didn't think of Dazzler or Domino. Those are great suggestions. Colossus already is the god of strength, but maybe for Rogue we could relate it to her absorption power. Maybe Goddess of Life or Energy but not sure if those feel like Rogue. Goddess of the South probably would make her a joke amongst her fellow gods and goddesses lol.

I thought of life and energy but jean is that.  Yeah I don't think the south would be a good one LOL.

OOH OOH OOH maybe rogue could be goddess of talent and gifts, since she can absorb various talents/gifts (powers)

Talent and gifts is great. Fits Rogue perfectly.

or goddess of borrowing since with most versions thats what she does with powers, memories and all... idk lol

Аpocalypse has told somehow about Rogue (X-men TAS): "an excellent combination of beauty and strength". Maybe this?

† Reach Heaven before the devil learns of your death †

March 04, 2011, 01:06AM #9 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:11AM by Nowhere Man
I'm gonna make a top X-Men comparison to the greek mythology:

Magneto would be Zeus: The god of gods that all men feared would strike from the skies. He was the god the drew the line on the ground separating men from gods at once. The one that wanted to be revered above all else. Same thing Magneto thinks about mutants/humans.

Emma Frost would be Hera: The goddess who is generally benevolent but has a very mean streak that emerges when somebody crosses her. Much like Emma, she normally tries to do the right thing, but is extremely vindictive and sadistic when someone steps on her toes.

Professor X would be Poseidon: The god that created safe islands and calm seas for those who worshipped him but caused devastating catastrophes for those who were infidels. Reminds me of how Xavier built a sanctuary for mutants willing to play along, but can be extremely manipulative and use others as pawns from time to time.

Gambit would be Hades: The misunderstood god, because he's not a bad god (no worse than the other ones anyway) but since he represents something people fear - death - he's generally seen as a bad guy. Same thing with Gambit. He's not such a bad guy, but people tend to expect the worst from him. Plus, he was Death when he was a horseman.

Iceman would be Dyonisius: The god of idilic behaviour. That's what Iceman is. Unwilling to explore his full potential as a god or to take thing so seriusly. He's just light hearted and tries to go through all the x-men drama using comedy and general good mood to cope with everything.

Beast would be Hermes: He's the god that thinks fast and represents all communication, science and literature. Since Beast is always the intelectual and inspite of his great strength his greatest asset is his mind, he's the perfect Hermes. He likes literature, he's always inventing things and he's so sociable with other X-Men and all the superhero community which makes a lot of sense if you compare him to the god of communication.

Jean Grey would be Hestia: The goddess of domesticity and family. She's the guardian of the sacred fire which was used to bless any home. Well, Jean has a big family as you all know and she's the guardian of a divine fire, so it seems pretty obvious.

Colossus would be Hephaestus: Being the god of metallurgy seems a pretty obvious choice for a guy that turns to metal. Hephaestus is also the god that's ugly (not that Piotr is) and got to marry Aphrodite herself because of his kind heart. Kinda reminds me of the brute image Colossus has that hides the sensitive heart of an artist underneath.

Nightcrawler would be Apollo: The god of faith, arts and music. I know, the dark guy being the sun god seems weird, but hear me out. Being the god of faith it's pretty clear why I chose him. Another thing is that despite being the most handsome of all gods he never found love because of his quiet, introverted nature, which caused him to generally feel very lonely and needy, struggling to feel accepted. I think it's something NC feels as well.

Psylocke would be Artemis: The goddess of hunting, with sharp senses and an extreme sense of honor. Much like Psylocke's warrior code and spirit. They have very similar tempers and great fighting skills. Plus, she's the goddess of initiation to maturity, which I think is totally Psylocke considering all the transformations (powers, appearance and personality) in which she started as an enthusiastic hero wannabe with no great skills and limited powers to a mature and stoic warrior woman.

Rogue would be Aphrodite: The whole story of Rogue is centered on love. Her powers emerged during her first kiss and ever since the main drama about her being a mutant is her wanting to be loved and to express that love. Chosing the goddess of love is no mistery.

Storm would be Demeter: The goddess of the 4 seasons, of agriculture and so on. Very easy to think about Storm when you think of the seasons, but there's also the aspect of the nature that provides what people need to survive. That's kinda what she is for the X-Men. She's a student, a sister, a mother, a counselor, a leader, whatever she has to be for the greater good of a cause or an individual.

Wolverine would be Ares: The god of war seems an obvious choice for Wolverine. Also because for the ancient greeks war didn't mean what it means for most of us (death and destruction). It was about honor, courage and valor. Things that Logan has in abundance.

Shadowcat would be Athena: Goddess of wisdom and war strategy. Shadowcat is brilliant, that's already a great parallel to the goddess of wisdom. But she's also a warrior and a very skilled fighter. Unlike Beast who uses his mind and his first and favourite tool to achieve whatever is needed, Kitty is willing to get her hands dirty and occasionally let go of diplomacy to just do some good old ass kicking.

Cyclops would be Hercules: Hercules is the demi-god who became a god through hard work. That's what I think of Scott. He was never the most powerful, the smartest or the richest. Most other X-Men have had much greater assets than he did thoughout their tenure as an x-man. Scott's greatest asset is his perseverence. He's the underdog that through hard work, training and study became a leader figure for several mutants around the world.

Angel would be Eros: Eros isn't the god of the same type of love Aphrodite represents. He's that sexual primal instinct we have. That first more passionate and obsessive love that comes before true love emerges after you really get to know someone. That's the kind of love that gives you the best and worst moments in your life. From wonderful dreams and romance to terrible wishes of revenge and wrath. Much like Angel, who's beautiful, angelic and heals others and Archangel, created to be death and is filled with rage.

how do you all like my list? ^^
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

I love your analysis Nowhere man :)
But I thought that when Eros just showed up, he became the god of pure love while Aphrodite was the goddess of physical beauty and sexual love, that's why I always saw Emma as Aphrodite, someone who cares on her physical appearance and is confident about her sexuality.
And I also think on Athena when I look Storm, fearless warrior and capable leader, and at the same time calm and regal ;)
Jean was always my Hera lol, goddess of marriage, who, as you said it, is benevolent and caring, but that also can be extremely dangerous.

Still your arguments are pretty much convincing to me, especially on the 3 ladies on my post. I never thought of then on that way, until now ;)
Phoenix Force: No. He loves Emma Frost.  He loves me.
Jean Grey: He wants her. Not you. Not US. And now it's time... to leave this behind.
Phoenix Endsong #5

Nowhere Man It's great!

† Reach Heaven before the devil learns of your death †

LOL. I also thought of Storm as Athena and Jean as Hera, but I had to include different gods to each character and I wasn't gonna make Kitty be demeter. plus, demeter is a first generation goddess while athena is second generation. I also thought of Psylocke as Persephone, the Crimson Dawn being like Persephone being forced to live in hades.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

I really love your thinking Nowhere Man particularly the Jean and Storm ones. But like Whiteking I also felt as though Emma is better suited as Aphrodite.

Besides, Aphrodite is also vain and rather cold with the people that surround her, she's also the less cared goddess between the Olympians, most of the other gods distrust her or envy her (especially the other goddess) much in the same way that Emma is not fully trusted by the other X-men (and again, especially the other X-women), but at the same time she's loves deeply and passionately and has a good heart in nature. I don't know I still find more similarities between Emma/Aphrodite lol ;)
I agree on Psylocke/Persephone too, but I still prefer Betsy as Artemis ^^

I don't care too much to which generation belongs certain god or goddess in order to "link" them to an X-men, I try to find some similarities on their personalities, stories and myths ;)
Phoenix Force: No. He loves Emma Frost.  He loves me.
Jean Grey: He wants her. Not you. Not US. And now it's time... to leave this behind.
Phoenix Endsong #5