For Admins: Yet another question about releasable content

Started by Quentin Hex, July 12, 2011, 05:11PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How altered from the original state does a non-Marvel character have to be? For example if I wanted to make one based of a singer's public persona...

i'm kind of over the whole no non-marvel skins/mods rule, but since we still have it i guess as long as it appears "inspired by" instead of a direct copy i wont say anything
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

haha alright maybe you should bring that up at the next admin meeting :P
well i'll be sure to make it not a direct copy then ¬.¬

I'd agree. If we're talking MUA or XML2 at this point I don't think it's an issue. Initially that was to protect us from any legal implications, but these games have been off publishers' radars for some time.

Quote from: Teancum on July 12, 2011, 07:43PM
I'd agree. If we're talking MUA or XML2 at this point I don't think it's an issue. Initially that was to protect us from any legal implications, but these games have been off publishers' radars for some time.
so would that mean it's a complete non-issue as the forum rules go or should i still be careful with the obscuring/changing of details?

Maybe hold on, let me bring it up to the mods/admins and see what they think about the rule
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

The question has been asked and..

We all agree, till the day comes we might get in trouble ofcourse. We've been safe for years. And there's enough communities making skins and models from both Marvel and DC (for example) and never got in trouble.

So another words, our limit to creating superheroes in these games have just expanded tremendously? :/ We need a lot more sections on here... lol

I agree, if non marvel people become avaliable to make, I would be happy :D Im sure everyone on here would be, it would be a very big leap for this fourm!

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

Well, the admins and several moderators and modders agreed on it. We have been an active community, even if small, for some time. Other communities make mods with all kinds of game characters in it. For example MUGEN. None of the creators of characters were ever brought to court. Bid For Power people were warned however (DBZ related stuff).

So yeah.

It makes sense, but at the same time, if this is official, wont we need to make seperate areas for each thing? Like for example, DC characters have their own section. And that would be a lot to put up, wouldn't it? I'm not trying to bust anyone's bubble here, I just think maybe there should be a certain "range" of non-Marvel characters we all can do. Cause if it's just anyone, I can't see it being very organized. (I could be wrong on that, not downing you administrators.) Unless you assign certain members moderation in certain sections...

Well the same logic that let's you post fan art online (especially if you're not making money off of it) should apply in the same way. I think we should always be careful about properly crediting/acknowledging copy-writes for minimal risks.

Quote from: Scabbia on July 13, 2011, 06:31PM
It makes sense, but at the same time, if this is official, wont we need to make seperate areas for each thing? Like for example, DC characters have their own section. And that would be a lot to put up, wouldn't it? I'm not trying to bust anyone's bubble here, I just think maybe there should be a certain "range" of non-Marvel characters we all can do. Cause if it's just anyone, I can't see it being very organized. (I could be wrong on that, not downing you administrators.) Unless you assign certain members moderation in certain sections...
Why couldn't people just post things in their ordinary release threads? The mods or skins would still be for mua or xml2 like normal. A different section of the mod catalogue might be necessary though XD

Quote from: Dee❖Dooo on July 13, 2011, 06:38PM
Why couldn't people just post things in their ordinary release threads? The mods or skins would still be for mua or xml2 like normal. A different section of the mod catalogue might be necessary though XD

That's what I meant (sorry). Yeah, our releases would stay in our personal threads of course, but...i guess what I'm trying to say is stuff like the Additional Skins thread that fox has so kindly done for everyone. Wouldn't we need to have a seperate thread for "other comic characters" or "movie characters" and so on... It's already bad enough we got people constantly making new threads requesting skins or mods that have either been made or are in the process of being made. (I probably sound like I'm lost with my own words). I just think making a seperate section for non-marvel characters would be best, personally. Like I said, this is a "Castle Door" opening up for modders and skinners...and meshers. There's too many characters that can be created...

July 13, 2011, 07:00PM #14 Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:05PM by midnightphoenix123
I agree, they should post them in their release thread, or a new section can be made that is Non Marvel Mods section. That makes it easy. And its anything and everything non marvel. That way we don't have to figure out what we can and can not make

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS