HUD portraits release thread (Now with a new name!)

Started by Joshco, December 28, 2006, 07:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 28, 2006, 07:06AM Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:24AM by Noelemahc
Has anyone had any success at fixing/converting (or creating new) HUD portraits for the PSP characters? It'd be much nicer to see their smiling faces down there than those boxes...

Thanks!

Converting? No. Creating? Maybe. I'm still waiting for THX to hold up on his promise to provide PSP materiel like screenshots from which I could extricate januwine PSPer portraits, which could then be packed into the PC-version-compatible IGBs.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I need to break it out and see what's what.  Is it confirmed that we can't pull the raw images from somewhere on the disc?

I guess taking screenshots would be easier, but by that do you mean pulling out my digicam and snapping a few shots or is there a way to do it all digitally, PC style?

I suppose there is - Piccolo's doing it somehow, ain't he?

I have the raw images - I just can't decode them into actual pictures. If you take the time to look at my PSP dump, it includes the PSP portrait files... They just don't work very well :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Yes please. Even just general directions would help. If I knew what colours they have, it would already be a start -- there's a trick to decoding swizzled images when you know you're on the right track once you fiddle it to the point where the colours start matching the correct set.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Some screenshots from psp

screen9.zip - 1.05MB

i'm very busy this time :s

Okay, thanks a lot :D This should get me going places. If not to find a way to convert the things, then at least to base new portraits on. I think I can make high-res ones from actual comic book art -- after all, Mahr Vell's, Echo's and Yelena's look like they were snagged straight FROM the art, not drawn anew like most of the other characters' portraits.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Alright, I've found a solution to the Moon Knight problem. The files for his second and third costumes were in the wrong damned format - the rest of the players use DXT1 with no alpha. That's what caused all the errors and corruption.

I'm rebuilding him, and the PSPers, on the base of Daredevil's (because it's the cleanest, prettiest, 256x with properly aligned mipmaps HUD head out there).

Just a final poll... Would you guys rather see genuine, but VERY low-res portraits of the PSP characters from the PSP version... Or high-res lookalike (i.e. similar-looking to ones used on PSP) portraits of the same characters ripped from the comic book art?

Crimson Dynamo says:

Okay, here's a WiP.
http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/Portraiture1.rar (unpack into HUD folder, back stuff up, if you want to)
This replaces Dead Man Wade as the second Deadpool portrait to the proper Ultimate Wadey Wilson one, made from art of Ultimate Spider-Man #93.
Adds a Yelena Belova portrait (Black Widow's second costume) based on art from Black Widow MAX #01; and a Classic Black Widow portrait (fourth costume) based on art from Uncanny X-Men #268. I know it's low-tek, but it's Jim Lee, for crissakes! -- for Black Widow.
Adds a Ronin (costume 1, New Avengers #11 art) Unmasked Ronin (costume 2, New Avengers #13) and Echo (costume 3, Daredevil v2 #10) portraits for Ronin.

Sample screen (also showcases the fixed Ultimate Moon Knight portrait to be found for d/l in other thread):

I'm working on procuring sufficiently high-res art to make Ultimate Black Widow and Ultimate Hawkeye from. If you have any, feel free to share them :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

QuoteWould you guys rather see genuine, but VERY low-res portraits of the PSP characters from the PSP version... Or high-res lookalike (i.e. similar-looking to ones used on PSP) portraits of the same characters ripped from the comic book art?

Those look fantastic! If they look that good, I for one have no problem with them being pics straight outta the comics.

QuoteI'm working on procuring sufficiently high-res art to make Ultimate Black Widow and Ultimate Hawkeye from. If you have any, feel free to share them

If you haven't got any by the time I get home from work I will scan some for you... I can probably find a good classic Hawkeye as well.

Josh

I'm glad you approve :D
QuoteI can probably find a good classic Hawkeye as well.
Yes please :D Because I've got zilch on classic Hawkeye, and the Web ain't of enough help.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Hitch and Neary don't give you much to work with, but here's what I could find after thumbing through my ultimate books (yes I downloaded them, yes I have the actual books as well):

http://www.geocities.com/smokebogey/Ultimates8-02.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/smokebogey/utu14_p12.jpg

Thanks a bunch. I'll see what I can do with that :D

Once I square these off, I'm gonna go lookin' for Mar-Vell's pictures (I've already got sources for Genis (and since the two are interchangeable, it's just a colouring issue) and Ultimate).

Crimson Dynamo says: