I've got a comic related mystery on my hands

Started by Oddark123, June 14, 2012, 07:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 14, 2012, 07:09PM Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:27AM by Oddark123
I know this place has a great community from around the world, so on my current loss for ideas, i'm going try to put this here and see if anybody can swing me in the right way, after all this does partially involve a comic book.

So let me catch anyone stumbling upon this thread what's going on,

So i'm in the process of collecting old cartoons on DVD. most of the forefront for me is Hanna Barbera, well Warner Brothers owns most of their library now and their wonderful Warner Archive program has been helping the fans out a lot but one series in particular seems to be causing quite a lot of confusion, that is Foofur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foofur

So here's the deal, while every internet site seems to be thinking Warner Brothers owns the rights to the show, straight from their mouths, "they do not." As in they don't just need someone to sign off on it for a dvd release, they flat out don't have it at all. Someone else does and this is what my quest is, i speak for plenty of fans that want the series on dvd, but currently no one seems to know exactly who does own it

So here's where my leads have gotten me.

From doing my research (beyond wikipedia) it appears two men are credited for creating this blue dog Phil Mendez and Freddy Monnickendam. Now Mendez was a HB staffer who worked on plenty of others shows (all of which the WA has plans to release) so i don't see why the he would own the series. Monnickendam is the man who also outright owns the Snorks (another series that the WA is planning to release) so again it doesn't make sense that if he did own it, the dvd wouldn't be pegged for a future release.

So if the creators seem ruled out to own the show, this takes me to the comics. Star Comics released a comic of it, but why exactly would they out buy the rights to it? They did comics for many other tv shows that they didn't want to buy the rights out too, so why would this be done to Foofur and not any other? Now my other question here is that in an article i read it credits Monnickendam as getting Foofur "into Belgian comics". Does anyone possibly know if this means a different company printed his comics in Belgium? Because as of right now if that is the case, getting the name of that company is about the only lead i can think of left to explore.

However if Star Comics was also the label in Belgium then i'm just not sure who in the world would own this show.

I'm not sure if anyone here can help me, but i figured it was worth a shot given there is a chance someone here or someone related to some one here may have been a kid during this time and might be able to tell me if there was another company i should be trying to contact.

Thanks regardless to anyone who takes the time to read this

EDIT: I have made progress, i found out with the help of a friend who speaks Dutch that there was a region 2 set of releases in 2008 of the series. We are trying to track down the company that put that out, so the region 1 fans will know who to contact to send their requests.
I'm a writer with big goals and ambitions
Influences: Classic Literature, Horror Movies and Hanna Barbera Cartoons and wouldn't have it any other way