Bext and Worst X-MEN costumes!!!

Started by P.Frost, September 13, 2012, 03:29AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 06, 2013, 03:04PM #30 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:12PM by DeeDooo
Actually I am a fan of the new Uncanny X-men uniforms, but then again I can't resist a bad-ass modernized costume. I would say that maybe they aren't characteristic of their past, but the costumes are evolving with the characters. It shows growth. They have much less support now, they're enemies of the Avengers and other X-Men, they've lost their island/home, they've grown more and more militaristic over the past few years, and to top it all off their powers are on the fritz, and all that is shown through their costumes. It's really quite beautiful what the artists have done with the design. They've gone from more organic, eclectic, heroic costumes to this unified aesthetic, all futuristic and monochrome with a huge emphasis on right angles and strait edge contrasts. Even Cyclops, the leader and the only one who is wearing color, has consolidated from his usual two colors to one (red is a particularly interesting choice because of the emphasis it puts on his mutation). There are even more unified design elements, from the siding, knees and belts of Cyclops and Magneto to the belts and the panties-with-really-high-boots look of Emma and Magik, which really brings the team together.

Magneto is weaker than ever, and he is more of a "bad-guy" again (In the eyes of authorities) than he has been in years. His helmat is much more closed off than the past and his cape comes all the way around his neck, closing him off even more from the world.  The artists could have easily given him a black costume like Emma and Magik, but they specifically went with white, which is interesting because the last time he wore white was in AoX, when he was the savior and the leader. This could be fighting back against being subordinate to Cyclops or it could be trying to feel like a hero again, or both. Also, thank god he lost the red underpants on top of his costume. Just sayn'...

I'd say Emma looks great in black. Granted, I think pretty much every character looks better in black, but still it shows how AvX left her broken and questioning her identity. She is the kind of person who shows a lot of her identity through her manner of dress and so when she is exploring who she is as a person it shows through her costume. And with so little costume to show it with, I think the color is an easy way to play with that idea. It also makes her stand out less from the team, which is usually her "thing." Not sure exactly what that means for her character, but it's definitely significant in the way we view her as part of the team. Maybe being on the run and significantly less powerful means she must rely more on her team a lot more and therefore does not resist being part of it so much.

I do agree that Cyclops' face looks a wee bit strange, but I still don't hate it. You don't have to like the designs in your personal aesthetic but you must admit that the artists really knew what they were doing when they created them. Maybe I should make a few of these skins if I can write so much about how I love their designs? :P

Quote from: DeeDooo on April 06, 2013, 03:04PM
Actually I am a fan of the new Uncanny X-men uniforms, but then again I can't resist a bad-ass modernized costume. I would say that maybe they aren't characteristic of their past, but the costumes are evolving with the characters. It shows growth. They have much less support now, they're enemies of the Avengers and other X-Men, they've lost their island/home, they've grown more and more militaristic over the past few years, and to top it all off their powers are on the fritz, and all that is shown through their costumes. It's really quite beautiful what the artists have done with the design. They've gone from more organic, eclectic, heroic costumes to this unified aesthetic, all futuristic and monochrome with a huge emphasis on right angles and strait edge contrasts. Even Cyclops, the leader and the only one who is wearing color, has consolidated from his usual two colors to one (red is a particularly interesting choice because of the emphasis it puts on his mutation). There are even more unified design elements, from the siding, knees and belts of Cyclops and Magneto to the belts and the panties-with-really-high-boots look of Emma and Magik, which really brings the team together.

Magneto is weaker than ever, and he is more of a "bad-guy" again (In the eyes of authorities) than he has been in years. His helmat is much more closed off than the past and his cape comes all the way around his neck, closing him off even more from the world.  The artists could have easily given him a black costume like Emma and Magik, but they specifically went with white, which is interesting because the last time he wore white was in AoX, when he was the savior and the leader. This could be fighting back against being subordinate to Cyclops or it could be trying to feel like a hero again, or both. Also, thank god he lost the red underpants on top of his costume. Just sayn'...

I'd say Emma looks great in black. Granted, I think pretty much every character looks better in black, but still it shows how AvX left her broken and questioning her identity. She is the kind of person who shows a lot of her identity through her manner of dress and so when she is exploring who she is as a person it shows through her costume. And with so little costume to show it with, I think the color is an easy way to play with that idea. It also makes her stand out less from the team, which is usually her "thing." Not sure exactly what that means for her character, but it's definitely significant in the way we view her as part of the team. Maybe being on the run and significantly less powerful means she must rely more on her team a lot more and therefore does not resist being part of it so much.

I do agree that Cyclops' face looks a wee bit strange, but I still don't hate it. You don't have to like the designs in your personal aesthetic but you must admit that the artists really knew what they were doing when they created them. Maybe I should make a few of these skins if I can write so much about how I love their designs? :P

I do agree with you, the artists know what they are doing.

I don't hate the costumes I just don't really like them, and they all look weird on them all. It will just take time to get used to I guess.

And yes skins are always nice!

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

Quote from: DeeDooo on April 06, 2013, 03:04PM

Its like my post on the next lvl xDDD couldnt agree more

I also like that Magneto is white idk y xD

but I understand Midnight 2
also many ppl dont like changes
I on the other hand am used to constant changes so its nothing big for me xDDD
But I think it was time X-MEN got an futuristic upgrade on costumes
ALL of them
Including Wolverine who's constant for years would be interesting to see him wear something new....
And I also really really enjoy new Storm costume and Psylocke I think shes better covered up it suits her style more since she fights a lot moves and crawls its kind of a more protection + her being in extreme distress with her self lately...

April 08, 2013, 02:34PM #33 Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:43PM by midnightphoenix123
Quote from: P.Frost on April 08, 2013, 06:37AM
Its like my post on the next lvl xDDD couldnt agree more

I also like that Magneto is white idk y xD

but I understand Midnight 2
also many ppl dont like changes
I on the other hand am used to constant changes so its nothing big for me xDDD
But I think it was time X-MEN got an futuristic upgrade on costumes
ALL of them
Including Wolverine who's constant for years would be interesting to see him wear something new....
And I also really really enjoy new Storm costume and Psylocke I think shes better covered up it suits her style more since she fights a lot moves and crawls its kind of a more protection + her being in extreme distress with her self lately...

I do hate changes haha XD

I will get used to them eventually, I mean I kind of am already. I'm in the middle of dislike and like right now.

I believe Storm just looks awesome in anything haha, so I always love her costumes!

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

xD Yea noticed that
Idk she had some bad costumes but she pulls it off xDDD