How to convert XML1 stuff (includes UltimateAlphabetizerV1.2, extentConverterV1)

Started by Norrin Radd, August 06, 2007, 04:12PM

Previous topic - Next topic
To make XML1 load points MUA compatible

these are things you can replace/add to make xml1 extraction points MUA compatible

replace something that looks like (int the xml1 eng file):
   entity {
   actleader = true ;
   actmatchteam = true ;
   actonuse = true ;
   actscript = extractionPointLite('_OWNER_','false','false','false','false','false') ;
   actsound = common/game/xtraction ;
   acttogglesanim = false ;
   animstarton = true ;
   classname = gameent ;
   description = Xtraction Point ;
   ignoretelekinesis = true ;
   model = puzzles/beacon_xtraction_saveonly ;
   name = xtraction_point_sidemission ;
   nogravity = true ;
   nopickup = true ;
   nopush = true ;
   quickuse = true ;
   team = hero ;
   toggleonact = false ;
   }

with something that looks like:

Quote   entity {
   actleader = true ;
   actmatchteam = true ;
   actonuse = true ;
   actscript = common/extraction/exp_activate ;
   actsound = common/game/xtraction ;
   acttogglesanim = true ;
   acttogglesloopfx = true ;
   animstarton = false ;
   classname = gameent ;
   description = S.H.I.E.L.D. Access Point ;
   extent = -30 -30 0 30 30 60 ;
   fxlevel = 1 ;
   ignoretelekinesis = true ;
   loopfx = base/misc/extraction_loop ;
   loopfxstarton = false ;
   model = common/extraction_point ;
   name = xtraction_point ;
   nogravity = true ;
   nopickup = true ;
   nopush = true ;
   quickuse = true ;
   resetstate = true ;
   spawnscript = common/extraction/exp_spawn ;
   team = hero ;
   }

replace something that looks like this (in the xml1 eng file):

Quote   entinst {
   type = xtraction_point_sidemission ;
      inst {
      name = xtraction_point_sidemission ;
      pos = 951.436 1533.19 6.60472 ;
      }

}

with something that looks like this (note you should change the 'pos' location numbers so they match the ones you are replacing them with, which i have done here):

Quote   entinst {
   type = xtraction_point ;
      inst {
      name = xtraction_point ;
      pos = 951.436 1533.19 6.60472 ;
      }

}

add something that looks like:

Quote   entity {
   actcountremove = 1 ;
   acteffect = base/misc/extraction_burst ;
   actleader = true ;
   actmatchteam = true ;
   actontouch = true ;
   actscript = common/extraction/exp_trig ;
   actsound = common/game/extraction ;
   actteamplayer = true ;
   acttogglesloopfx = true ;
   boxcollision = true ;
   classname = gameent ;
   extent = -120 -120 0 120 120 72 ;
   fxlevel = 2 ;
   loopfx = base/misc/extraction_loop ;
   loopfxstarton = true ;
   name = expt_trig ;
   nocollide = true ;
   nogravity = true ;
   nopickup = true ;
   nopush = true ;
   persistent = false ;
   resetstate = true ;
   team = hero ;
   }

now you'll have mua extraction points where you can save and change team instead of extraction points that potentially dont work

in xml1 the level automaps are stored as igbs as oppose to zam files (which is what xml2 and mua use) so i'm not sure it they will be usable.
if you dont include a zam entry in the pkg file, then an automap wont load, and if you do call a zam entry from the pkg file (just not the one for the xml1 level loaded) and use the entry in the original xml1 eng, which is:
   automap_offset = -50 -30 ;
   automap_texture = automap_texture_file ;
then it still only loads the zam file as the automap as oppose to the xml1 automap igb

so automaps are unusable?  i had not even noticed it was gone until you mentioned it.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

i think they are unusable, i tried different things to get them to work, but they never did

i do remember when i started playing with the level that i saw a map that closely matched the xml1 level i was playing, but i must have not seen it clearly

if you get them to work, let me know please

ok i will. i just looked at the zam file with texture finder and nothing really shows up that looks like anything, while the igb automaps for XML1 show up like a little map.  I agree with you they might not be usable.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0

yeah, i did the same thing, haha,
the zam file might just contain boundaries and other info instead of an actual picture such as the igb has

yeah im guessing that too, its just a layout.  Nothing readable shows up if you open it with a hex-editor.

yeah, i checked that too, haha, its really too bad that they dont seem compatible. Its not a huge loss, but its still a loss nonetheless, ah well, after working on it for a while trying to get it to work i just gave up and figured it wasnt worth it any more

hopefully we will be able to convert complete levels

By the way, I call nyc_fb4.  It's the fourth part of the NYC Flashback.  I just happened to start it, and I've got quite a bit of it done.  I figure I'll do it and add it to any other flashback levels others have.  It also is the perfect size for a Danger Room level, so I'll be turning it over to nodoubt when it comes time for that.

I'm also calling Wolverine's flashback mission.  I sooooo want to replace Wolverine's sim mission with the flashback. :D

***EDIT***

ZAM files might just be coordinates like Norrin said, but the automap itself might actually be stored in XML2 world IGBs.  Someone should open a XML2 level in TextureFinder and look for the minimap.

August 11, 2007, 11:11PM #25 Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:39PM by Norrin Radd
How to include effects into xml1 levels without importing them (see later in this thread for more examples)

i remember Teancum saying somewhere that the effects for xml1 are present in the xml2 game. Some of them are also present for MUA, so if you are using the converted xml1 level eng file, you need to change instances of the xml1 effects for those in MUA.

for example, for a wood breaking effect, i needed to change
Quote   deatheffect = break/break_wood ;
which is in the xml1 level eng file (this effect file is also present in the extracted fb)

with (notice how they are similar but slightly different)
Quote   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_wood ;
because the effect for MUA is stored in a different location. There may be multiple instances of these effects within the file, so they will need to be changed. Once they are changed to point where the actual effect file exists, the effect will show up in game.

Awesome work, Norrin :thumbsup: Hopefully you'll be able to get some fully playable levels up and running soon :)

Quote from: BliZZ on August 11, 2007, 11:15PM
Awesome work, Norrin :thumbsup: Hopefully you'll be able to get some fully playable levels up and running soon :)
thanks, i hope so too!

Here is a list of effects that i came across that can be changed without having to convert them from xml1. They are devided into groups, the first line is what was in the original xml1 eng level file, the second line is what it can be replaced with. I verified and these should also work for XML2 (looking your way nodoubt_jr) because xml2 has all these effects in the indicated folders. MUA seems to be missing some of them, so i had to take them from xml2. By the way, the game looks WAY better when these effects are added, so stuff actually looks like it broke instead of just disappearing, but i'm sure you guys know all about this already.

Quote   deatheffect = break/break_plastic ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_plastic ; (had to take this one from xml2)

deatheffect = break/break_rubber ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_rubber ; (had to take this one from xml2)

deatheffect = break/break_wood ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_wood ;

deatheffect = break/break_metal ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_metal ;

deatheffect = break/break_paper ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_paper ;

deatheffect = break/break_glass ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_glass ;

deatheffect = explode/explode_metal ;
   deatheffect = base/material/explode/exp_metal ;

deatheffect = break/break_junk ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_junk ;

deatheffect = break/break_electric ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_electric ;

edit:
by the way, anyone who wants to can add to this list

Quote from: Norrin Radd on August 11, 2007, 11:34PM
I verified and these should also work for XML2 (looking your way nodoubt_jr) because xml2 has all these effects in the indicated folders.

oh yeah, i didnt convert anything, i just looked for the folder (the only one i couldnt find was called break-t-mansion, or something like that).  They all work perfect.

heres some other breaking ones

deatheffect = break/break_astral ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_astral ;

deatheffect = break/break_carpet ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_carpet ;

deatheffect = break/break_plant ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_plant ;

deatheffect = break/break_upholstery ;
   deatheffect = base/material/break/brk_upholstery ;

@Teancum "It also is the perfect size for a Danger Room level, so I'll be turning it over to nodoubt when it comes time for that."
sure, im having lots of fun with the two arenas i converted.

im probably going to start working on a level that takes place inside the mansion, is there a dangerroom mansion mission/level?  First im going to go check out my conversions and check and add anything that might not be here yet.