How to Install Characters?

Started by Disgaeafan1, November 09, 2013, 12:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 09, 2013, 12:16PM Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:27PM by Disgaeafan1
Hiya, I'm new here. Just wondering how to actually install these character mods. There's a link at the top of the character mod page that details how, but it leads to the front page.

Also, what would some 'essential' mods be? As in the most popular ones? Thanks!

The only essential mod is the latest official characters mod, you must download and install this before any other mods. To install, if the mod doesn't unpack into the gamefiles but rather it's own folder; you should move the file to their proper folders, actors in actors, data files in data, etc. after that you add their herostat to the herostat file which is included in the official characters, in the heroeselect folder. And then you open heroselect and and type in hero's heroselect name and herostat name and add them

Other mods I would suggest are the xml2 pack, Dazzler, Whiteking's Emma, nowehereman's rouge, Dihan's Psylocke, Nightcrawler, and New X-men, and Shadowcat, Quicksliver, Angel, and Vision.

November 09, 2013, 02:38PM #2 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:44PM by Disgaeafan1
Awesome, thanks! This is exactly the info I needed.

Also, can I add characters and costumes whenever I want? And is the X Sound still needed?

November 09, 2013, 02:58PM #3 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:03PM by Techon 7
Yes you can, costumes have to be renamed to replace ones you don't want, (you can only have four with passives, six total) Some mods do require new skins to hexedited like Emma. x-sound has the callouts and menubreaks of the majority of mods, so if you want names to be called out when you select characters, it's needed.

edit: whoops, there is one thing, every time you change the roster, you need to start a new game. As long as you don't change the herostat you  can change costumes as much as you want.

What do ya mean by 'costumes have to be renamed?' And with Emma's costume being hexedited.. Is that automatic, or do I need to do something?

Thanks again for all the help btw.

Let's say you want to replace Storm's Third costume with her AOA outfit, you would need to rename the AOA igb to 0403 and replace that file in actors. For hexediting you need a hexeditor, And it's usually a matter of replacing the skin number that the skin originally had with the new number. It easy to do than explain for me. It usually does have a bit of trial and error, so backup files.

November 09, 2013, 03:33PM #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:45PM by Disgaeafan1
Ah ok I see. My only problem now is actually adding characters. I assume I just merge the folders, and the only issue is with the herostat thing? I'm pretty much a mod noob, so do you think you could give me a super noob explanation of what to do? Like the play by play. I'm trying to add Psylocke and Emma for starters.

Again, if you don't have time that's totally okay. I should be able to figure it out eventually.

*Edit- ALso, my Xbox controller is having issues with hotkeys. The game doesnt seem to recognize whats what. At least for using powers. It thinks my start button is R2...

Here are two tutorials to get you started. the first detaisl the official character's mod only the secound goes on to adding other characters
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4446.0.html
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,6868.0.html
And since I use the keyboard, I don't really know anthing about Xbox Controllers, sorry.

Thanks again. I got it to add Psylocke, although all the characters besides her ended up with names like Data:Wolverine. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with my controller though.

November 09, 2013, 09:29PM #9 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:32AM by Disgaeafan1
Alright... Now I have another problem.

I solved the controller costume. No sweat. But now I can't seem to get the Hero select to activate. When I start the game, it says that Emma Frost is unlocked. However, when I get to the save point, she is nowhere to be found. Additionally, when I click Assemble Team, the little background program fails to run, stating 'Input File Could not be Opened." I'm lost...

*Edit- Neevermind. Finally figured it out. It was my fault. I didn't change the path at the beginning of the .cfg. Now its all hunky doory. ...And I get to put Psylocke and Emma back in. T.T

**Edit2= My only question now= I was able to get Emma just using HeroSelect. Is xmlbcui still needed? Or is that no longer neccessary?