Captain America: Civil War (spoilers inside)

Started by Hobgoblin, May 08, 2016, 02:04AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Saw CW on April the 30th, now the rush of just having seen it has passed I thought to reflect on it a bit on this forum.
As someone who has liked or loved all of the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' movies to date, it will come as no surprise that I adored Civil War. I'm not sure if I'd place it as my number 1, as it's a bit of a draw between this one and Winter Soldier.
Winter Soldier was more intense, threathening and scary; Civil War overall did not put a focus on direct dramatic consequences for the non-superpowered (not a bad thing, in fact I'm delighted that this didn't end with the heroes having to overcome their differences in order to stop a bomb blowing up New York or something).

The one issue I had with CW was that it was a pretty big coincidence for -only- the trio of Cap, Bucky AND Iron Man to go to Siberia, conveniently playing into Zemo's hands so he could show them the security footage. I could come up with explanations afterwards, like this wasn't Zemo's masterplan (he already successfully completed that by helping initiate the 'war' and killing the soldiers) but it was a bonus. Still, it seemed too much part of the plan, while he couldn't have planned for these circumstances. I would have liked them to explicitly address this.

As for sole issues with movies, I've always had (and still have) a high opinion of Age of Ultron but the one thing I really minded with that film was that the Avengers didn't end up taking a lot of flack for the fact that everything that happened was their fault. Civil War is an excellent natural continuation of the storyline which, when seen in sequence, makes AoU even better IMO, but also a bit worse as I thought AoU's biggest strength was the fact that it handled so many characters so well, leaving plenty of space for good dialogue/interaction, characterization and humor - but Civil War does the same and does it even better, thereby surpassing AoU's biggest strength!

In any case, Civil War feels like an excellent sequel to Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and also Iron Man 3 (seeing how that one ended with him blowing up his armory & he subsequently appeared in Age of Ultron - they address it in Civil War!), it also makes great use of Ant-Man. The MCU is getting stronger and stronger.

Last but not least, I LOVE Tom Holland as Spider-Man! I liked Tobey Maguire a lot, but my issue with the Raimi movies was that Spider-Man didn't make any jokes whenever he was in costume. Andrew Garfield was better in costume but to me completely unrecognizable & unsympathetic as Peter Parker (I also thought those two movies were pretty bad). The MCU Spidey is perfect in and out of costume. Can't wait for the next Spidey movie, 'Homecoming'.

And I really hope to see new MCU skins for MUA appearing in the near future - especially Spider-Man and Black Panther!

Oh man, I agree with everything that you said! Tom Holland is amazing Spider-Man! And, damn, I love his eyes :D
I just was hopping on fight between Captain America and Baron Zemo, but final picture awesome too ;)

With finale totally agree!
And I like them eyes of Spider-Man, they twitch, as in animated cartoons about Spider-Man!