Thoughts on X-Men Apocalypse?

Started by BaconWizard17, May 30, 2016, 06:59AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Although it didn't get great reviews, I enjoyed the movie. I liked the new actors, the plot flowed well, and finally it wasn't wolverine-centered. One of my biggest issues is how they did apocalypse. His voice was too feeble and he wasn't big enough. I also feel like the studio has backed itself into a corner with the timeline, because if they plan on bringing it up to present day, the X-Men characters are going to have to be in their 50s and 60s while the actors are still going to be in their 20s and 30s. Overall I give it 7/10.

Some things that should've been in X-movies in the first place (Phoenix raptor, Wolverine's classic weapon X costume, Jubilee) finally made it in and that's something I really enjoyed.

I don't feel like they've cornered themselves. In the comics the Age of Apocalypse also took place around the time the X-men were grown up, so they simply take stories and put the young X-men in them. The group dynamic worked incredibly well, Nightcrawler was amazing.

My Release topic : http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8934.0.html

Newest Release : Raven

Quote from: Polygone on May 30, 2016, 10:39AM
Some things that should've been in X-movies in the first place (Phoenix raptor, Wolverine's classic weapon X costume, Jubilee) finally made it in and that's something I really enjoyed.

I don't feel like they've cornered themselves. In the comics the Age of Apocalypse also took place around the time the X-men were grown up, so they simply take stories and put the young X-men in them. The group dynamic worked incredibly well, Nightcrawler was amazing.
I wanted to see more of  Jubilee!! :storm:

I thought it was a great movie.

I do agree with BaconWizard though. The way they jump forward 10 years every movie can't continue unless they do age the X-Men. The future we see at the end of Days of Future Past most likely exists in 2023 the same year the bad future also existed. Meaning they only have about 40 years until that time. Charles, Magneto, Beast and Mystique as well as Alex and Moira, and anyone else from First Class haven't seemed to age in 30 years. And we know they all eventually age into the original actors so they don't have much longer to do that. And Mystique is really the only one who doesn't have to age.

I did enjoy all the new actors. I think Scott was much more likable this time around, and they finally pulled off plot points that have been messed up in the other movies. I hope we get to see another X-Men movie, though they seem much more focused on New Mutants and possibly X-Force.

I thought Apocalypse was pulled off really well in the movie, the one thing I wish we got more of was action. I feel like the few scenes we got weren't enough. Even Apocalypse himself didn't do a whole lot. And Jubilee should have been included more. There was no reason to put her in the movie unless they planned on using her. At this point they keep tossing her into movies and leaving her on the side lines. Not to mention the fact that her hanging out with Jean, Scott and Kurt gives off the impression that she could have been and should have been an X-Man herself.

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

Quote from: Midnightphoenix on May 30, 2016, 04:53PM
I thought it was a great movie.

I do agree with BaconWizard though. The way they jump forward 10 years every movie can't continue unless they do age the X-Men. The future we see at the end of Days of Future Past most likely exists in 2023 the same year the bad future also existed. Meaning they only have about 40 years until that time. Charles, Magneto, Beast and Mystique as well as Alex and Moira, and anyone else from First Class haven't seemed to age in 30 years. And we know they all eventually age into the original actors so they don't have much longer to do that. And Mystique is really the only one who doesn't have to age.

I did enjoy all the new actors. I think Scott was much more likable this time around, and they finally pulled off plot points that have been messed up in the other movies. I hope we get to see another X-Men movie, though they seem much more focused on New Mutants and possibly X-Force.

I thought Apocalypse was pulled off really well in the movie, the one thing I wish we got more of was action. I feel like the few scenes we got weren't enough. Even Apocalypse himself didn't do a whole lot. And Jubilee should have been included more. There was no reason to put her in the movie unless they planned on using her. At this point they keep tossing her into movies and leaving her on the side lines. Not to mention the fact that her hanging out with Jean, Scott and Kurt gives off the impression that she could have been and should have been an X-Man herself.
I totally agree with you!!! We need to see Jubilee in action more because my friends keeps saying she sucks but little do they know she can actually be really powerful! And i loved how Kurt, Jubilee, Cyclops, and Jean hanged out :storm:

Am I crazy or the Marvel Logo show up in the movie? Not the default one, the MCU logo, and in the credits it say "In asociation with Marvel". That's something in my opinion.

They did this film very well. Apocalypse was very different from his comic counterpart, but I thought it was done well, except at some point he should have grown gigantic (besides at Xavier's astral plane), as that's kind of a trademark for him. Once again, Magneto looked like a god -- as well he should. The Phoenix was portrayed as the unstoppable force it really is -- unlike in X3, and Quicksilver stole the damn show! He was hilarious. All of the characters had good spots, though I admit I was distracted by Nightcrawler's Thriller jacket lol. Overall, great film. The critics don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The general consensus I'm seeing here is that Jubilee didn't have her chance to shine -- I agree. Lana Condor was robbed. I damn sure loved the Wolverine cameo, as he is my all-time favorite comic character. They did this right, with him looking like a damn monster, a killing machine -- which he is. Even though I've heard the next Wolverine film is based on the "Old Man Logan" storyline, I had hoped that it would feature his time in Madripoor, along with Psylocke and Jubilee. Those were some great adventures. That would give Jubilee some well-deserved time. Speaking of Psylocke, hopefully Olivia Munn will return. They showed Psylocke mysteriously walking off. She and Wolverine have an interesting relationship to say the least, so hopefullt they'll do something with that. And I wonder who they will cast as Mr. Sinister and X-23.

Quote from: Julio Cabral on May 31, 2016, 05:29AM
Am I crazy or the Marvel Logo show up in the movie? Not the default one, the MCU logo, and in the credits it say "In asociation with Marvel". That's something in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure it is the old Marvel Logo intro before Marvel upgraded to the new one. Maybe they didn't give Fox permission to use it. And I am sure they have to give credit to Marvel.

@Outsider, I hope Psylocke returns as well. They have a bunch of supposed upcoming movies they could use her in. Deadpool, Wolverine, X-Force, New Mutants. I am very excited to finally see Sinister, I have been wanting him to show up for awhile now.

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

I think if this switched release dates with Deadpool it would have better reviews.Its a good movie but its hard to follow up Civil War.

I loved this movie so much!! Already watched it twice!! To me, it's by far the best X-Men movie, Apocalypse was awesome ( even though he wasn't as big as he was in the comics, he was really scary. Oscar Isaac made him imponent! Love the way he acted like a true god it was fantastic! Jean's stunning!! Sophie Turner is the ultimate Jean Grey!! Loved her since the first time we see her in the movie!! Scott is now showing the true leader he is!! Jubilee could show more (and she would. In the original version of the scene in the mall jubilee would use her powers, Lana Condor said that while they were shooting this scene she got electric shocks from the equipment on her hands to make light effects). Even though Psylocke didn't get much screentime, she still was awesome!! The real savage wolverine showed himself. Loved everything about his movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im actually shocked that they didn't use Jubilee much in this movie because in the Xmen Animated television series she was one of the main characters. :storm:

An actress recently considered this pic promoting the pic sexist and started to complain a lot about it. What are your thoughts?

I see no problem in it cause Apocalypse is the bad guy. He doesn't represent anything that people should follow. Not to mention he was defeated by a girl.

Well if we follow that logic then the picture promotes blue on blue crime.

Honestly I'm so sick of this whole SJW thing in which we try to reach so far in search of a problem. I'm trying to not get all too deep in it but it's like recently people WANT to see problems with stuff that literally isn't there.

Mystique tried to stop Apocalypse
Apocalypse is a bad guy
Apocalypse grabs Mystique by the throat

(If I remember correctly moments before Mystique sliced Apoc open disguised as Psylocke, which, lmao, makes them pretty even)
My Release topic : http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8934.0.html

Newest Release : Raven

Mystique represents the face of a revolution, and was looked up to by many in the film, including Storm, so it makes sense that they show the ruthless villain trying to take her out. There's nothing sexist about that. On the contrary, it promotes female empowerment, as it shows that women can take such leadership roles. They get attacked, but they bounce back and they keep fighting, just as their male counterparts would.

And I'm willing to bet money that if it were a male character being choked by Apocalypse, it wouldn't be an issue at all. I don't look at that picture and see "a man choking a woman," I see "the god-like villain choking the heroic protagonist." Who cares of their gender? And at the end of the film, the big bad villain is taken out by a woman -- Jean Grey. Oh yeah, that's real sexist...   :rofl: