Thoughts on X-Men Apocalypse?

Started by BaconWizard17, May 30, 2016, 06:59AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I agree with what you said Outsider.

This movie is the exact opposite of sexist. Mystique is one of, if not the front running actor. She plays a major role in the movie. And not only that but Jean Grey, Storm and Psylocke are all prominent characters as well. Without Jean everyone would probably be dead. Without Mystique Erik would probably still be a villain.

Just because he is holding her by the throat doesn't mean people should start point fingers. Apocalypse doesn't care who he kills. She was just someone in his way that he wanted to get rid of.

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

FINALLY got to see this movie.

I thought it was overall very enjoyable, but the most uneven of the X-bunch. The first half felt like a clip show to me where the scenes were either good or bad and didn't necessarily connect well, and there were some plot gaps or holes too (just one example: Storm and Apocalypse suddenly shifting from Cairo to the not-so-public mutant hub in Berlin).

Apocalypse was shown to be WAY too powerful, being able to kill a bunch of people with the blink of an eye. That power would have made him impossible to fight against, it didn't really gel with how they actually could fight him in the end.

I didn't like how they did the horsemen & what function they had in the movie, especially Archangel only seemed to be done in respect to the guy being a famous horseman in the comics, but there was no reason for Apocalypse to select him in the movie and Archangel hardly did anything. Psylocke's story-arc went nowhere.

My biggest issue was how light they made of mass-destruction, death and danger:
-Quicksilver had another cool, funny scene like in DOFP, but seeing how many students were in serious danger I thought they went too far with him being silly around the various saves, taking more time than he could have known that he had with the explosion blowing all through the mansion. On the other hand, he DID save all but one student and nobody ever thanked him for it! Shortly after, in the plane, he told the others that he considered himself to be a loser. Couldn't anyone have pointed out that he had just saved a huge amount of lives?
-Jean unleashed Logan on the Weapon X facility and the guy goes on a gruesome killing spree. The only serious reaction this gets from anyone is Nightcrawler's shock and prayer. But shouldn't Jean be horrified by the consequences of her action? Shouldn't Wolverine, after Jean cleared his mind, have looked at the blood on his claws in horror?
-Magneto's enhanced power results in mass-destruction all over the world. Thousands of lives are lost. Thousands! But in the end... they won! Disaster averted! All's well again! The world leaders are reassured and Erik and Charles have a friendly chat back at the mansion. Nobody makes an issue out of the fact that at that point, Magneto is a mass-murderer.

BUT for all of the above, for all of its flaws, for all of the gaps and holes - I did enjoy the movie and I LOVED the final fight against Apocalypse. Superhero/Action movies often just 'play out' in the end, just revolving to their logical conclusion, but I thought this fight was extremely exciting. Xavier's "You'll never win, because you are alone, and I am not!" was perfect.

I was disappointed with Psylocke since she was one of my most anticipated characters for this movie. She had kind of a small part. I'm hoping they use her for X-Force and make her more prominent in the future. Besides that I thought it was pretty good and I'm really happy that they redid Wolverines origin after that atrocity that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It wasn't the best movie ever but I enjoyed it 7/10.

I agree with what you said about Psylocke and Angel. I really wish they did more with Angel but it really did only feel like he was there because he is an iconic Horseman. And Psylocke's story didn't really seem to go anywhere, but I hope they bring her back.

I also see what you are saying about Apocalypse, he did seem to show off how incredibly powerful he was at some points and then while fighting the X-Men he didn't seem to put up as much of a fight as he could have. But I'm sure that was only for the reason that they didn't want him to wipe out the X-Men.

And with the destruction I can also agree on that, a lot of the world was destroyed and it didn't seem like many people cared. Though this at least was an end of the world scenario and not just heroes and or villains being stupid and destroying everything in their path. So I am sure everyone in the world is happy to be alive having avoided a possible nuclear attack and Apocalypse all in the same day.

The only one I can kind of look past is the Wolverine killing people. I believe Jean did what she had too. Charles was in trouble, the world was at stake, and several of her teachers/ friends were either captured or in trouble. And for all they know Stryker could have just killed everyone he had captured so I am sure Jean just wanted to help save everyone and attempting to break the others free while not killing anyone probably would have been a challenge. Now if it were the Jean, Cyclops and Kurt from the future I believe they could have handled it without Wolverine killing people (Or at least not killing everyone) but they hadn't ever been in a situation where they needed to fight or use their powers as of yet and were probably pretty terrified. It's kind of like in X2 when Wolverine kills a bunch of Stryker's men that break into the mansion, I believe it was necessary same as how it is handled in Apocalypse.

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5S5u60eeNg

This video shows about how fast Quicksilver is in the movie. The dude estimated his top speed to be 38,595,840 m/s, which is 86,336,435.2183 mph (million!), which is equivalent to about mach 112... THOUSAND!

Just thought I'd share.