Advanced Lighting --- On or Off?

Started by Teancum, August 23, 2007, 01:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Personally I think the game looks cheap with it on.  It's bloom central, rather than doing quality lighting, they just throw lots of bloom in.  Plus, I think it more Marvel-ish with regular lighting.

I much prefer the colours without advanced lighting, but I like the bump-mapping.
I tend to play without the lighting by choice.

I usually play with it off, but snap pics with it on. Not by choice (I only get 40 fps with it on)

I play with it on.  I get excellent frame rates (not sure how many, but it runs just as smooth on my Alienware with advanced lighting on as it did on my Dell Lattitude D820 with advanced lighting off, which ran pretty fast), so I have absolutely no problem playing at 1920x1200 with high shadow detail.  Some of the lighting is really done well, and some of it is mediocre.  Even so, the bumping is more than enough reason to use it regardless of the lighting in my opinion.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

I can't imagine playing with the advance lighting off. It looks sooooo much better with the advanced lighting on.

I don't like how AL looks, it's like everything is so glowy and costumes look all latex-covered-in-oil-with-difuse-light-and-fog, and you loose too much detail with the visual data overload in your eyes. I don't need sparkling armors as much as I didn't need the cel-shader in XML2. I didn't even like the DLC previews because of their looks.

Yeah I heard that Boreman.  Latex-covered-in-oil sums the look up perfectly.

They went overboard with the lighting effects on Human Torch.  When he's flying he pretty much looks like a blotch of light.

A lot of the "latex covered in oil" stuff can be fixed simply by editing the specular maps.  Those seem like they were done kind of quick, so that's why everything is shiny.  However, you can use them to your advantage to make some sort of "skin shaders", as well as make cloth and leather shine differently.  There's a lot of potential with the advanced lighting, it's just that the specular maps were a little insane.  It's not as bad with low shadow detail on.  I don't know it it would work, but you could probably hex the specular map reference in the .exe to not recognize the specular maps in the models, or replace all the models' specular maps with just flat black textures (which would take forever).  I guess that would allow you to enjoy the bump maps without the overly-glossy specular maps, and make your system faster by just rendering the bumps instead of both.  *shrugs*
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

ok i definitely need a new video card :nervous:
if i put AL on my game runs well only at 800X600... :bawling:

anyhow the maps are better with adv lights (there also are shadows!!!)

i bought an nvidia geforce 8600 gts and it works perfectly.... and i'm still FOR adv. lights

i play with advance lightning, shadows - low. (8800GTS 640mb 1440x900) :)

I like it on. Looks too much like XML2 (as fun as it was), but I'm into the glowy/realistic look.

the game doesn't give me the option to enable it...
do you have to have a specific video card to enable Advanced Lighting?

Possibly. I have an 8600gt in my machine.