Would you recommend getting a PSP or DS?

Started by jonchang, August 26, 2007, 12:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cmon guys, lay off him a bit!  (unless there's some insider thing I'm missing out on, in which case I encourage you to carry on).

Either way, it depends on what you're looking for.

The DS has way, way more genre diversity in its games.  Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars, New Mario Bros, Pokemon Diamond and so on and so forth.  The PSP has more faithful-to-console games.  It has some serious fighting games (Import Guilty Gear Judgment>all) as well as games like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and, as you all know and love, Marvel Ultimate Alliance. 

Both are haxxable, though.  Flash carts for the DS allow you to download the games and play em.  And the PSP has all that downgrader business. 

Hax-wise, the PSP has alot more in the advantage department.  The PSP can competently emulate the GBA, PS1, SNES, NES and so on and so on.  Great stuff.  The DS has the GBA, is all. Not that this is a bad thing, as the GBA is good stuff.

Ultimately, it boils down to which kind of games you're looking for.  If you're looking for a combinaion of classical and unique appeal (there's more than enough in the way of non-kiddy DS games to the point where you can't label the DS as "kiddy") then the DS is it.  If you're looking for portable versions of PS2 games with a big amount of haxxability, get the PSP.

What would I recommend?  Being a tactical RPG and Fighting game fan (though I love all genres), the PSP looks better to me.  The DS, though, is objectively the better of the two.  (Another thing is that no PSP games last longer than 20 hours, which may or may not be a bad thing for you)

Quote from: Midnight Curse on September 03, 2007, 10:18PM
Well, my friend's b'day is coming out soon, and it's a favor I'd like to return for getting me mine.

then get him what he got you
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

The psp is great even got the Spawn movie for it the anima one,but don't play it very much its been in a charge caddy I got for it over a year now but thats just me I'm a pc gamer.
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

i hav a ds because i like the majority of nintendo branded games like mario , pokemon (somtimes) and others and because they have games like sonic the hedgehog , custom robo , spectrobes, metroid prime

I would recommend the PSP as it has more features and Sony is more trusted.

The psp and the nds has the same features u ust hav to buy the $50 media manager cartridge thing for movies etc and u can buy the wii browser and surf the net (Marvel mods on the run) and its wifi compatiable ....
And wat do u mean sony is more trusted ?????

Yeah, you can't cay that Sony's more trusted due to how long they've been operating - Nintendo dates back to the 19th Century - making card games

Well.... I mean Sony offers more high-quality material IMO

Quote from: Venom on November 24, 2007, 01:56AM
The psp and the nds has the same features. . .

Huh?  They're nothing alike.  If that was the case the PSP would have a touch screen and the DS would have an analog thumbstick.

In the end by the system based on the games.  If you want more mature games, buy a PSP.  If you like Mario-esque stuff, buy a DS.  Both have lots of incredible games, and when it comes down to it they're pretty much even.  So buy what plays the games you like.

QuoteI would have to say DS, because the PSP has some decent games, but the controls suck, the graphics, are crappy
How could you say that PSP's graphics are crappy, their awesome for a console that size! Might be crappy compared to a PS3 on a 46-inch LCD HDTV....=P

I say stick with PSP you can play GBA games in it. but can you play PSP games in DS? no

Quote from: Crescent_jason on December 25, 2007, 03:01PM
I say stick with PSP you can play GBA games in it. but can you play PSP games in DS? no
...that's a terrible rationalization.

Lol, of course you can't play PSP games in DS, you cant play DS games in PSP either....

ok.  lets talk facts here.
PSP has a larger homebrew community, but DS is infinitely easier to mod. All it requires is a simple flashcart, either a slot 1 or slot 2 device.
DS homebrew has everything I need, emulators, media players (audio and video), VoIP, book readers, AN INCREDIBLE TACTILE COMIC BOOK READER, and even an (ugly) web browser.

PSP may have emulators for NES, GBA, SNES and PS1
and DS does have emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and GBA (although you can only do GBA emulation through a slot 2 flashcart)

on specs, yes PSP has far superior graphics and sound, but in gameplay it is drastically behind.

it just comes down to personal preference, if you like racing games, 3d action games(like GTA) or sports games, get a PSP. if you like RPG's strategy games and puzzle games get a DS (oh and FPS's too,  Metroid Prime Hunters and Brothers in Arms are great).  There are great Action and Adventure games for both handhelds.

PSP and DS are relatively evenly matched in emulation prowess. Sure, the DS supports GBA natively, but the PSP is strong enough to handle it fully. Plus, the PSP also has the PSOne and N64 emulation, something unreachable to DS owners for quite a while, I suppose :)

And then there's MAME, which I'm not sure the DS even is friends with. And all of its subbranches (Neo-Geo, anyone? Or maybe CPS?)

Gameplay-wise, both systems have their own uniques, although the DS is obviously in the lead for novelty. But you can't play XML2 on the DS, can you? You can play MUA, there's a GBA version out there, too, but...

It all boils down to which games you like more; like all other console wars, this one is won by your choice in exclusive entertainment.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.