[All Games] Ultimate PS2-Format Re-Skinning Tutorial

Started by BaconWizard17, March 12, 2018, 03:36PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 12, 2018, 03:36PM Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:46AM by BaconWizard17
XML1, XML2, and MUA: Ultimate PS2-Format Re-Skinning Tutorial
By BaconWizard17

This is a tutorial I've been wanting to do for a long time, and now that I have collected as much knowledge as possible, I am able to make it. My goal with this tutorial is to create the most thorough PS2 skinning tutorial on this entire site. I'm going to get very basic in my descriptions so that everyone, from veterans to newcomers, can learn from this tutorial. If you would like to suggest any additional information, or if something is inaccurate, please let me know. Feel free to ask any questions.

Table of Contents

Section 1: Introduction

PS2 models are the igb model files from the PlayStation 2 versions of X-Men Legends, X-Men Legends II, and Ultimate Alliance. They are used for essentially every visual element in those games, from character skins, wallpapers, HUDs, icons, and mannequins, to menu buttons, map files, and objects.

PS2 models provide a unique set of advantages:

• PS2 files can be used on X-Men Legends II and Ultimate Alliance without any need for conversion.
  • PS2 files do not need to be RGB-BGR switched to be used between the two games; they work seamlessly between the two.
  • PS2 models can seamlessly replace their PC equivalents.
  • Unlike PC files, which require a lengthy chain of offsets to be found, PS2 files only require two offsets to extract the texture.
  • Using PS2 models is the only way to get Ultimate Alliance content into X-Men Legends II.
  • The generally flatter nature of PS2 character models allows for a greater level of customization for each model. Some models can be used for dozens of different characters and outfits.
  • Due to the fact that custom models cannot be created in PS2 format, using PS2 models allows for a consistent style of model for all content, which, in my opinion, is far more pleasing than having several clashing styles of custom models.
  • Outfits present in both X-Men Legends II and Ultimate Alliance are identical. This means that versions both with and without cel shading can be created.

Version-specific information for PS2 models:

• The files for X-Men Legends only exist in PS2 format.[1]
  • The PS2 files for X-Men Legends II are identical to those found in the PC version. The only difference is the size (PS2 models are generally slightly larger than their PC counterparts, but the difference is essentially insignificant), internal format (including offset format), and the fact that PS2 models do not need to be RGB-BGR flipped to work with Ultimate Alliance. The only model, to my knowledge, that is different in its structure from its PC counterpart is 10901.igb, Angel's Ultimate skin, which does not have wings.
  • The PS2 files for Ultimate Alliance are significantly different from those found in the PC version. The styling is much more similar to the style of models found in the X-Men Legends games. The are generally of lower resolution and are more flat. However, compatible files work seamlessly with X-Men Legends II, and do not need to be RGB-BGR flipped.
  • The PS2 files for Ultimate Alliance 2 cannot be used in any prior games. They also cannot be edited like PS2 models for X-Men Legends, X-Men Legends II, and Ultimate Alliance. This is because the game was created much later than the first 3 games by an entirely different group.

That pretty much does it for introductory information. Sections 2 and 3 will follow in the coming days, and then the rest of the sections will be added progressively. Again, feel free to ask any questions.

[1]They technically exist in the formats for XBOX and Gamecube as well, but those formats are not used on these forums due to the greater difficulty in finding the offsets and potential incompatibility. I'm really not an expert on the subject, but I'm sure there is information on this in the Knowledge Base.

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 2: Necessary Programs and Files

There are several programs that are needed in the process of editing PS2 model textures.

• MUAPS2Skinner with all Offsets. This is the most important program, as it allows you to actually get to the texture to edit it. This version includes all of the offsets for all of the Ultimate Alliance PS2 skins, as well as their texture files.
  • FB Extractor Tool. This is used to get PS2 igb files out of the fb packages they are found in. More on this in Section 3
  • TextureFinder 1.32 and 2.1. These are both used to find texture offsets. You need both to programs to find offsets because they perform two separate functions. More on that in Section 4.
  • GIMP. This is my preferred image editing software. It is free and works just as well as Photoshop.
  • The GIMP dds plugin. This allows GIMP to handle dds files, the main image format our textures will use.

Additionally, there are several files that are needed.

• MUA PS2 Assests. These are all of the files from the PS2 version of Ultimate Alliance, already extracted from their original fb format into igb format
  • XML2 PS2 Assests. These are all of the files from the PS2 version of X-Men Legends. They are all still in their fb packages, and as such will need to be extracted. I will add a tutorial for that in Section 3.
  • MUA PS2 Skins and Skeletons. Ultimate Alliance PS2 skins and skeletons separated out for easy use.
  • XML2 PS2 Skins and Skeletons. X-Men Legends II PS2 skins and skeletons separated out for easy use.
  • XML1 PS2 Skins and Skeletons. X-Men Legends PS2 skins and skeletons separated out for easy use.
Other useful links:

I believe that is all. If I missed anything, please let me know. If any links are down, check the Resource Backup Database, and if the file isn't there either, request the file there.

March 18, 2018, 07:43PM #2 Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:05AM by BaconWizard17
By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 3: Extracting PS2 igb files

Before I begin this section, it is important to note that this process is really only necessary for getting the PS2 igb files from X-Men Legends II. They have already been extracted for X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance.
If you are retexturing skins only, you won't need to worry about this step. All skins have been extracted from all 3 games and can be found in section 2

Since this process is incredibly straightforward, I won't be adding screenshots.

• The first thing to do is download the FB Extractor tool (see Section 2). The download contains NR-fb_pack.rar, and this file contains five files:

• cfgBuilder.exe
    • cfgBuilder_info.cfg
    • fbBuilder.exe
    • fbExtractor.exe
    • Readme.exe
    I'm not exactly sure what each file does specifically, but I know that they are all necessary.

Once you have extracted the files, place them into a folder on your desktop (such as C:\\Users\(Your User)\Desktop\FB Files)
  • The next step is to download an fb from the XML2 PS2 assets (see Section 2). The file structure is slightly different, with most of the main files located in the Packages folder. Leaf through to find the one you want.
  • The next step is to place your fb file into the same folder on your desktop that you put your extracted fb files into
  • Launch Command Prompt. There are numerous ways to do this. Read this to see several ways.
    By default, Command Prompt should say
    QuoteMicrosoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.309]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\XXXX>
    where XXXX is the name of your user profile. Your version may differ from mine, but that won't change anything.
  • You'll need to change the folder that command prompt is acting in. Type the following:
    Quotecd\users\XXXX\Desktop\FB Files
    Where XXXX is the name of your user profile
    Now, command prompt will say
    QuoteMicrosoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.309]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\FB Files>
    Now you're ready to extract. Type the following into command prompt:
    QuotefbExtractor.exe YYYY.fb
    where YYYY is the name of your fb file, and press enter
  • The Command Prompt will dash through several lines of code, and then it will tell you it has extracted everything.

FB Extractor will have created several folders in your folder. They have the exact same names and organization as the standard game files.

That is the extraction process. If you have any questions, or if anything is unclear, please let me know.

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 4: Finding PS2 Offsets

PS2 offsets are fairly easy to find. Offsets for every type of PS2 file are found in the same way. Note that the offsets for Ultimate Alliance PS2 skins have all already been found, so there is no need to find them yourself.

In order to find PS2 offsets, you'll need TextureFinder 1.32 and TextureFinder 2.1. Both can be found in Section 2

A small note on these programs: certain antivirus softwares will target them as harmful, and will delete them when you try to open them. To get around that, go to your antivirus software's active scan settings, and set these two programs to be excluded from active scanning.

Now, onto the offset process.

• The first thing to do is launch the two TextureFinder Programs

• I generally align them with TextureFinder 1.32 on the left and Texturefinder 2.1 on the right, because that's the order they're needed in

• Next, load up the skin you want to find the offset of. To do this, click the dropdown arrow right next to the bar that says
      Quote---no SOURCE file loaded---

and select
      Quote---Load File
      You'll want to look through your files to find the place where your PS2 skin file is. For this example, we'll be using 0101.igb, Cyclops' Astonishing skin from X-Men Legends II

Press "Open" to load the skin
    • Initially, the preview window is going to show a rather garbled mess.

This is because it's not set to the right mode. Since we're looking for the color offset with TextureFinder 1.32, we'll want to go to the section that says "With Palette" and select 8bits (256 Color)

We don't need to change the source page width at this time, as PS2 skins for X-Men Legends II and Ultimate Alliance are usually 256x256 in size. At the end of the section, I'll list common widths for different files
    • Now, we need to find our color offset. First, you're going to want to change your palette bit format from 24 to 32

Then, you're going to want to press the right upwards arrow by the text that says "trim, line, page." Clicking the right upwards arrow will increase your page number. Do so until you encounter a gradient (a soft transition of colors). This gradient will generally be either red, blue, or green, but sometimes you can encounter it in the skin's colors. In our case, it's green.

Now, we want to use the middle pair of arrows to adjust the line offset. Move the gradient until it is across the top of the window

Lastly, we want to use the left pair of arrows to adjust the offset number by number. Move it until the first three squares are black, white, and black, and the skin in the preview window shows the right colors.

Leave TextureFinder 1.32 and its palette window open. You'll need that number later.
    • The next step is to find the texture offset. We do this in TextureFinder 2.1. Load the skin in the same way you loaded it in TextureFinder 1.32

Again, we have a jumbled mess. Change the pixel format to 332=8

You'll also need to change the width to make it correct. In this case, you'll need to set it to 256.

Now, we can find the texture offset
    • Scroll the right scroll bar down until you find your texture

Next, we'll need to get our texture to line up with the top of the window. This can be done by clicking the arrow under the window, or by entering a value into the window. I usually start with 4000

Conveniently, 4000 brought our skin up to the top, but that isn't always the case. We still need to align the top left corner of the texture with the top left corner of the window. Notice how there is a clear break in the texture about 2/3 of the way from the left of the window. That is is the edge of the texture. Increase the shift using the arrows until that edge is lined up with the edge of the window. You can right click the arrow to make it move in intervals of 16, and left click to move it one value at a time
    • Now, we can write down our offset.
      • Always start with the skin name. In this case, it's 0101.igb.
      • Then type ps2, because this is a PS2 skin
      • Next, type the width and height of the texture. Most textures are square. In this case, since our width is 256, our height will be 256, and as such, we type 256 256
      • Next, we type the color offset, which can be found in the smaller window of TextureFinder 1.32

It is shown circled in red. Always add 1 to this number when you write down the offset. Since the value is 35650, we write 35651.
      • After that, we type our texture offset. This can be found in the bottom left of TextureFinder 2.1.

It is shown circled in green. We don't have to add anything to this value. Just type at the number shown. In this case, it is 146739. Do not add a comma.
      • Lastly, add a space and a period
    • So, our offset is
      Quote0101.igb ps2 256 256 35651 146739 .
    • The general format is
      Quote"Skin Number".igb ps2 "Texture Width" "Texture Height" "Color Offset +1" "Texture Offset" .

All in all, a simple process. Let me know if anything is missing or unclear.

Common widths for files

• Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends II skins: 256
      • Some exceptions exist, so be careful
    • X-Men Legends skins: 128
      • Some exceptions exist, so be careful
    • Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends II HUDs: 64
    • X-Men Legends II Floating Heads: 256
      • A few exceptions exist, so be careful
    • Wallpapers: 512
    • X-Men Legends II power icons: 256

[/list]

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 5: Extracting the Texture

Everything from here is a lot more simple. For this section, we'll need MUAPS2Skinner. See section 2 for the download.

• When you extract MUSPS2Skinner, you'll see a number of files contained in it. There are 3 folders: MUAPS2 skins, Original DDS, and XML2PS2 Skins. There are also a series of dds files, as well as MUAPS2.cfg, NRskinnerSE_MUA.exe, and a readme file.
    • My personal preference is to set things up in a manner so that X-Men Legends 2 skins and Ultimate Alliance skins are separate. To do this, I copy everything in that folder (except for MUAPS2 Skins and Original DDS), and put it in a different folder, which is called XML2PS2Skinner (because it has the XML2 PS2 Skins).

So now we have 2 different folders, MUAPS2Skinner and XML2PS2Skinner. There's just a bit more setup to do

• In MUAPS2Skinner, all that I do is add a folder called Custom DDS. This is where I keep my edited texture files. I have a folder in there for each character, the same way that Original DDS is set up

Since the skin we're going to be working with is an XML2 skin, we'll leave MUAPS2Skinner like it is.
      • XML2PS2 needs a bit more setup. First, we want to create a custom dds folder and an original dds folder, to keep everything organized.

After that, the only thing to do is open MUAPS2.cfg with notepad and delete the contents.
    • So now that we have our folders set up, we can move on. We won't be messing with the MUAPS2Skinner folder any more in this tutorial, but the process to use the program in it is the same.

Open MUAPS2.cfg (the one in the XML2PS2Skinner folder). It should be blank, since you deleted the contents. (Reminder: do not delete the cfg in the MUAPS2Skinner folder). So we're going to start adding offsets to this folder. Every time you add a new character into the cfg file, start with a line that goes
      Quote;"Character Number" - "Character Name"
      So in this case, we'd put
      Quote;01 - Cyclops
      Then, on the next line, you add the offset. Your file will show
      Quote;01 - Cyclops
      0101.igb ps2 256 256 35651 146739 .
      As you add more characters and skins, your cfg file will feature more lines.
    • Now that we have our offset, we can get the texture. First, go into the folder XML2PS2 Skins. That folder has all the PS2 skins and skeletons for X-Men Legends 2 already in it. Go into that folder and copy 0101.igb (never remove anything from that folder, only copy), and paste it into the XML2PS2Skinner folder.
    • Then, scroll down to NRskinnerSE_MUA.exe, and run it. The screen will pop up, and you are prompted to select if you are exporting a DDS or BMP file. Since we are going to be creating a dds file, we press 1, and then enter
    • Next, we enter the name of our igb file. Since the file is 0101.igb, we type 0101.igb and press enter. Always be sure to have .igb at the end.
    • You're then prompted to enter the name of the dds file. Since we're exporting the default texture, we should make the name the same as the igb, so we type 0101.dds and press enter. Always be sure to have .dds at the end.
    • If it says "Decompiled 0101.igb to 0101.dds," that means you've done it correctly. If anything else pops up, make sure you entered your offset correctly. Also check that you entered the igb name correctly.
    • Now, when you look in the XML2PS2Skinner folder, 0101.dds will be there!

Congratulations! Now you can extract dds files from igb files

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 6: Editing the Texture

Now we get into the fun stuff. For this section, we need GIMP and the GIMP dds plugin.

First, you need to install the plugin. It goes in GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. This will allow you to open up dds files with GIMP.

Now we can edit

• Launch GIMP. It may take a second for it to start up
    • Once it starts, go to file>open, and find your file, and press open. A dialog box will pop up. Don't worry about clicking any boxes, just click OK. The only box you would ever use is "Show this dialog," which I uncheck whenever I load multiple textures at once in order to speed up the process
    • Now our texture file has been loaded
    • The first thing I always do is zoom to 300%. That way you can see the texture more clearly. This can be done with the zoom tool, the zoom box, or by holding control and scrolling the mouse wheel.
    • The next thing to do is to go to the toolbar and press Image>Transform>Flip Vertically. This will put the texture in the correct orientation.

• After that, you need to go to the toolbar and select Image>Mode>RGB. This allows you to work with the texture. It won't change it visually, however.
    • Now, we can actually take a look at the texture. The texture contains multiple parts, each corresponding to an element on the model. The top left has the legs, the top right has the torso, the middle left has the head, the middle has the hands, the lower middle has the arms, the middle right has the feet, the lower right has the visor, and the rest is for the accessories of his skin. Every skin looks different at the texture level and has a different layout.
    • Notice how there is only one of each part: one leg, one arm, one side of the head, etc. This is the case for most skins. While a few have asymmetrical components, most don't. This means that if we do something to one side of the skin, it'll happen on the other side, too. To demonstrate this, let's put several marks on the skin, with each body part getting a different color. In section 6, when we compile, we'll see where these marks go.
    • Now, all that's left is to save the skin. First, go to the toolbar and select Image>Transform>Flip Vertically. This will put our skin back in the correct orientation
    • Next, go to the toolbar and select Image>Transform>Indexed. When the dialog pops up, select "Convert"
    • Lastly, go to File>Export (or press Ctrl+E). Change the name to something different. The formula I usually go with it
      Quote"Character Number"XX_"Skin Name".dds
      so for this skin, we'd do
      Quote01XX_Test.dds
      . Then press "Export." When the next box pops up, switch from "No Mipmaps" to "Generate Mipmaps" and press "OK"

And that's how you edit a skin. In section 10, I'll go into some tips and tricks on how to edit skins and make them look nice.

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 7: Compiling and Testing

So now, we can get on to compiling and testing.

• First, open up your XML2PS2Skinner Folder again
    • Scroll down and launch NRSkinnerSE again
    • Since we're not creating a new dds or bmp, we type 0 for the first section, and press enter
    • Next, type in the igb name. In this case, it's 0101.igb. Don't forget to type .igb. Press enter
    • Lastly, type in the name of the dds file. In this case, it's 01XX_Test.dds. Don't forget to type .dds. Press enter
    • If you've done it correctly, it will tell you that it's successfully compiled. Press enter one more time
    • Now, open up your game files, and go to the actors folder. You can use either Ultimate Alliance or X-Men Legends II, but I prefer X-Men Legends II, because of the lack of shiny effects on the skin
    • Scroll through and find the skin you want to substitute. In this case, since our skin is 0101.igb, we'll substitute it for 0101.igb in our game files. You can do any skin, as long as it's defined in your herostat. Now, we don't want to replace this file, since we're just going to be testing our skin. So, change the name of the skin in the actors folder from "0101.igb" to 0101 .igb" (notice the space I put after 0101)
    • Copy and paste the skin you're testing into the game files
    • Launch your game. You can start a new game or use an existing game, as long as the character is in that game
    • Select your character. Now, we can see that all the marks we made on our dds file translate directly onto our character.

• Each time you edit your skin, recompile it and then test it, and your game will show the changes made.

And that's how you compile and test skins

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 8: Hex Editing

Hex editing is an important step for skins you will be using. It's not important if you're going to be sharing the skin with others, because everyone uses different skin numbers for different characters. The importance of hex editing comes mostly in skin swapping, as if a character's skins aren't correctly hex edited, they won't be able to swap skins correctly. However, I like to hex edit all my skins, even if they're not involved in skin swapping. (In Ultimate Alliance, you should hex edit all of your skins in order for the evil robots on Murder World to show your skin).

In order to hex edit, you need hex editing software. I use HxD, but you can use any software.

• First, launch your editing software
    • Next, you'll want to open your file
    • Now, identify the number of the skin. In our case, it's 0101. If you aren't sure if the internal number and the name of the skin are the same, use the find feature (ctrl+F) and search for "Actors." There is usually a text string that is something like
      Quoteravendata3\xmen2\art\models\Actors\01_cyclops\0101.png
    • Now that you know your number, figure out what number you want to change to. Let's say that we want to use the skin we've made as a skin for Bishop, such as 1803. So our number will now be 1803
    • Use the find and replace feature (usually ctrl+R) to replace the number. In the blank labelled "Search for" or "Find," type your original skin number, in this case 0101. In the blank labelled "Replace with," type the new skin number, in this case 1803. It's ok to use the "replace all" button, because you want to replace every instance of 0101 with 1803.
    • Lastly, save your changes, and then rename the skin from 0101.igb to 1803.igb. You can now use it without worry.

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 9: FAQs and Further Information

FAQs:

• My skin is crashing my game when I put it in. Why is it doing that?
      • Most likely, you are using the wrong skin format. Be sure that you're using a PS2 skin. However, there are a handful of PS2 skins that crash the game when you edit them. I have a short list here, but it's by no means complete.
    • My texture is showing up as a solid color. Why is that?
      • You most likely didn't type the name of your dds correctly. Double check your spelling and compile agian.
    • My texture is showing up black with weird lines. What's going on?
      • This means that you forget to change your color mode to indexed before you exported your texture

If there are any more questions, I can add then to this list.

By BaconWizard17

Table of Contents

Section 10: Editing Tips and Tricks

Here is a collection of some of my more commonly used editing tricks

• Colorize Tool: The colorize tool is one of the tools I use the most.
      To Start, make a selection of some kind

Next, go to the toolbar and select Colors > Colorize

You can do a lot of things with the colorize tool. You can mess around with the presented values, pick a color from the screen,

Or use the color picker to pick something.

Playing around with the values will change the color

• Brightness/Contrast Tool: Another tool that use, generally hand in hand with the colorize tool.
      To use it, again make a selection of some kind, and then go to Colors > Brightness - Contrast

If you're doing a skin tone, you'll want to increase the brightness and contrast quite a bit, and then use the colorize tool to make it match the skin tone

If you're trying to make something look metallic, you'll need to increase the brightness and contrast a lot, and then use the colorize tool to make it the correct metal color

As a general rule of thumb, metallic textures have the highest contrast, then skin, then tight clothes, and then loose clothes
    • Smudge Tool: The smudge tool is a useful tool for smoothing things out or for going over things to "wipe" them out in a way. For "wiping," I usually set my rate to about 75 or 80, and for smoothing, I set it anywhere between 25 and 50, depending on the sensitivity

• Solid Texture Technique: This technique is useful for applying the textures of solid objects (wood, stone, metal, bark, etc) to non-moving aspects of the costume, including belts, bracelets, and weapons. I also have used it for fur textures on the costume.
      The first step is to go to google images and look up a texture. It's usually best to add "seamless" to the end of your search (ex: seamless wood texture). Then, resize that texture so that it'll fit over the element you want to replace

Then, just cut the correct section and paste it over the part you're replacing
    • Fluid Texture Technique: This is a rather difficult technique, but it's useful for applying patterns to the outfit, such as camouflage or denim.
      First, create a new layer and name it after the texture

Then, find a seamless texture, and resize it so that it'll fit over the element of your skin. Paste it in on the second layer

Next, hide that layer and select the area that you want the pattern to cover

Unhide the layer, make sure it's selected, and then press ctrl+I to invert the selection. Then, press delete. The only thing left will be the area covering your skin element

Recolor the top layer to match the area under it using the colorize tool

Increase the brightness and contrast of the pattern layer

Hide that layer and increase the brightness and contrast of the area underneath

Decrease the opacity of the upper layer. 60 is usually a good place

Merge the layer down to make everything flat
    • Dot Texture Technique: This technique is slightly more cumbersome, but overall not as difficult as the fluid texture technique. It's useful for making a material look porous.
      Create a new layer, titled "Dots"

Start a simple pattern of dots. Make it a color that you can see easily

Repeat the texture all over the area you want. You can do this one by one or by copying and pasting

Hide the dots layer and select the area that you want the dots to be on

Unhide the dots layer, press ctrl+I, and then delete. This will leave the dots covering only the area you want them on

Select all the dots, then hide the dots layer and move down to the background layer

Decrease the brightness. -50 usually works well

And here's what you get. Don't forget to delete the dots layer

And here's what all that looks like in game:

September 09, 2018, 04:33PM #10 Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:44PM by jayglass

How do i fix this?

I don't know. I've never worked with the PS2 version of the game before. I don't think that's a texture problem though

It's the same thing when i use xml2 icons from ps2

With the new ability to make custom models in the PS2 format, I will be revising this tutorial in the coming future to cover a bit more information and include more accurate terminology for this tutorial. It will still only cover re-skinning, as there are many good tutorials about rigging and model making