Modding rundown: Sound

Started by Noelemahc, December 05, 2006, 11:53PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, here's the news: put the file together, loading up... Didn't crash which is good. Doesn't work which is BAD. So bad, in fact, I want to kill someone. Preferrably someone who took part in the creation of this file format. With a teaspoon. A blunt and worn-out teaspoon, just to enjoy it more.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Here are both variants. One built with VOX (closest I got to the game's native format) and another with WAV.
Neither works, but maybe someone will tell me where I screwed up. Wishful thinking, bleh.
These are the power sounds for Hawky, in case you're wondering, ripped from the Box version, converted and put back in. To check if they work, get into the game, select Hawky and jump or use a power, checking your herostat to use hwkeye_m as the sound set first.
http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/hwkeye_m-examples.rar

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I looked into Vox Studio 3 but wasn't able to dig up anything. :\  Not many people use the program it seems.

Thanks for the updates though.  How nice would it be to have one dev from Ravensoft on this board? :D

If Raven, or Activision for that matter, knew, do you think they'd help us, hire us or sue us? LucasArts likes to sue the crap out of ANYONE doing things they don't want to see done with their games. They only wisened up less than a year ago. On the other hand, id software HIRED the guys who made the classic CTF mod for Quakes 1 and 2 and they went on as part of the team that made Quake 3. *shrugs*
QuoteNot many people use the program it seems.
Uh-huh. Because not many people use unfashionable VoiP sound formats either. *points accusing finger at Raven* And neither should YOU!

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 21, 2007, 08:21AM #34 Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:27AM by Noelemahc
Okay, fresh nothings: XML1 (both PS2 and X-Box) formats conform to my above format description statements fully (except that they, again, have a different hash calculation principle, which is starting to grate on my nerves). Not that I doubted it for a second, but I just had to mention it. I've just finished ripping all the voice files of XML1 playables (and Marrow, because I want me a playable Marrow!), so it's the power sounds next.

Not that I can do much with them right now, considering how I hate NWN and have quit playing Baldur's Gate and no other game I've played allows one to fully enjoy custom voicesets (sorry FF fans, but that's the way it is!) and that I'm still no closer to uncovering the secrets of the ZSS's grail :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

What's wrong with NWN?  :P  I love that game....

Anyway, when you get a chance, could you upload Emma and Betsy's voice files please?  Thanks.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

You do realize they'll be raw WAV dumps neither of the two games will run, right? Right.
Here are the voices (haven't covered the power sounds yet, sorry):
http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=db1c0d63cc8d31c770f09559dcbe9239
http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=20e56f25ac5659fb0a6fc2dd68bfae5b

Crimson Dynamo says:

That's fine.  I'm going to experiment with a few things while I'm waiting to talk to one of the Raven guys.  My teacher expects someone to come to my college here within the next couple of weeks, and they are working on a day to schedule.  Thanks a bunch.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

February 26, 2007, 12:18PM #38 Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:38PM by GuyIncognito
Having nothing better to do at work and after combing across most of Google to find out what ZSND is, I decided to take a different approach and look for articles regarding the "Intrinsic Alchemy" engine itself.

Based on what I found, I have a strong gut feeling(note: no real concrete evidence, just a strong hunch) that the modified SMartTools SDK (Analog Devices SoundMAX) which was incorporated into the Intrinsic Alchemy Engine is the basis for ZSND; and that ZSND was name slapped onto it by Vicarious Visions.

VICARIOUS VISIONS®, INC. ANNOUNCES PURCHASE OF INTRINSIC ALCHEMY® TECHNOLOGY ASSETS FROM INTRINSIC GRAPHICS™, INC.
http://ps2.gamezone.com/news/05_13_03_09_51AM.htm

Intrinsic Graphics Alchemy Engine Integrates Analog Devices SoundMAX SPX Audio Rendering Technology.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-1963038/Intrinsic-Graphics-Alchemy-Engine-Integrates.html

I was under the impression that it spreads wider, as ZSND is used in quite a few games by Activision that don't list Alchemy as their engine and Vicarious as the developers or even participants -- meaning that the thing is Activision's proprietary format; but if this si the case, then we're on our own regarding sound then. Sad, real sad :(

Crimson Dynamo says:

March 04, 2007, 08:32PM #40 Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:14PM by GuyIncognito
Snagged this off a Russian Forum discussing sound ripping for MUA.

http://www.ctpax-x.ru/
Couldn't figure out how to get the ToWav.exe to work due to lack of documentation.

Edit: I found out why I couldn't get it to work, I have the PSP sounds. I think this prog only uses the PC / X-Box ones.

Could you link to the original post? Your quote screams "automatic translator" at me, and I expect I'd do far more with the source post in russian.

The program I will go experiment with, however, as Game Extractor refuses to work with MUA's music files.

Crimson Dynamo says:

http://www.extractor.ru/ipb/index.php?showtopic=1515

Никто не в знает где в игре музыка, и чем ее достать?

Вот что знаю сам: игра порт с Х-ящика, движок очень похож на тот который был и игре Gun.
Папка Sound, занимает 2 гектара, думаю в ней музон.
В этой папке дофига файлов идут по групам blsim_v.zss и blsim_v.zss.
blsim_v.zss весит 15 метров (сам контейнер наверно)
blsim_v.zss 370 килобайт
и т.д
и так все файлы с примерно одинаковым размером заголовок файлов ZSNDPC

March 04, 2007, 09:42PM #43 Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:45PM by Noelemahc
Alright, that was just a request. Neato. I'm off to try the program now :D

EDIT: YESS! Not that this will help a LOT (no support for file insertion), but it will help a BIT :) Leastways I can now tear the musick out :P Thanks, man!

Crimson Dynamo says:

Awesome. So it just works on the music files? Not the audio clips?