If you could, what hard-coded aspects of MUA would you change?

Started by Maegawa, May 30, 2016, 12:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, I was recently playing XML2 and noticed how some of its elements were cut or changed in the transition to MUA.

That said, most of the hard-coded stuff from MUA I'd change is based on their XML2 incarnations:

- XML2's character select system (no more mannequins, but pictures. Would also make modding easier, BTW) and screen (I just loved how it changed from act to act);
- XML2's costume system (press one button to change the character's skin, would get rid of the outfit tab);
- And the costume passives? Since there would be no more an outfit tab, I'd rename it to passives, and they would be stored there rather than in the skills tab (this would get rid of the player being forced to use a costume he/she doesn't like in order to get some bonuses);
- Aside from XML2 stuff, I'd also add a new damage type: Magic Damage ($DMG_MAGIC), which would be used by characters like Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch etc;
- Also, who wouldn't like to expand the limit of things like skins, playable characters, team bonuses members etc, if possible?

Those are the hard-coded MUA stuff I would change if I had the chance (if anything I mentioned isn't hard-coded, please let me know, as my knowledge in this area is rather limited). Also, keep in mind that since this is just a Game Talk topic, none of what is said here is planned or doable (thus the hard-coded part).
Click here for my releases.
And here for my workbench.

The Holy Grail would really be to be able to include more than 27 characters, and still allow them to level up as normal.

(I wonder sometimes if there isn't someone we can contact who worked on the game as a lead programmer or something...)

Interesting topic for discussion. Let's see, what would The Outsider do...

(1) I would definitely change the character limit, as 27 characters is not enough. I'd say an even 30. That would have been ideal for my "Marvel & DC United" roster, or any other roster.
(2) I like your idea where the background for the Character Select screen is different in each act, as that default one is an eyesore after a while. For the Hellcarrier -- somewhere there where some of the backdrop is destroyed. For Act 1 -- somewhere in Stark Tower with windows out at NYC. Act 2 -- somewhere in the Sanctum Santorum. Act 3 -- somewhere in Valhalla. Act 4 -- somewhere in Attilan with views of Outer Space. Act 5 -- somewhere in Doom's Stark Tower. Disk Missions -- a holographic virtual reality background. Maybe the background change is possible through a script, but I'll have to look into that.
(3) Allow some kind of music to be played during the character select screen. (Unsure if this is possible -- might be.)
(4) More outfits possible, as the current max amount is six. I'd make it 10, and all of them allow for passives.
(5) No strange shutdowns if a certain team of four is picked!!!! That's very annoying. So far, we've found no answer as to why that happens.
(6) You won't have to start a new game if altering your herostat or changing the talent/powerstyle files for characters. Saved games will "adapt" to your changes.
(7) An even harder difficulty, as I feel the game is still too easy.
(8) You can add as many disk missions as you want without ruining the current ones. Julio Cabral made some cool ones.
(9) The tag team fusion system was one of the very few things I liked about MUA2. I'd incorporate that in somehow.
(10) Mannequins and loading screens would go based on skin numbers, not mod numbers. This makes for multiple mannequins & screens, which makes multiple mods sharing the same mod number not a problem at all.

Quote from: Hobgoblin on May 30, 2016, 02:08PM
The Holy Grail would really be to be able to include more than 27 characters, and still allow them to level up as normal.

(I wonder sometimes if there isn't someone we can contact who worked on the game as a lead programmer or something...)

I believe someone was contacted, and he said it was impossible to have more than 27 characters. I found that convo through the search engine.

What I do think is interesting to mention is the character select expansion which is linked in the character catalog, you basicly talk to someone to change characters bypassing the 27 limit. It's still in beta and from what I remember buggy, but it might be worth it to try and expand upon it.

As for me, not neccesarily bypassing limits, but maybe ways to make things easier. Giving diffrent animations to skeletons without complicated hex-editing. Maybe a more user friendly way to alter effects, preview textures, that sorta stuff.
My Release topic : http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8934.0.html

Newest Release : Raven

I think it would be cool if the game had a built-in simple character designer. Pick base stats, pick the powers you want, customize your look, and go. Then again, that would really change the way the game goes, so I don't know.

Quote from: BaconWizard17 on June 29, 2016, 07:02PM
I think it would be cool if the game had a built-in simple character designer. Pick base stats, pick the powers you want, customize your look, and go. Then again, that would really change the way the game goes, so I don't know.

That was what we had all hoped X-Men Destiny was gonna be lol

I would want to be able to add new animations and maps to the game. That would have allowed us to create some really awesome mods.

July 06, 2016, 01:43AM #6 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:17AM by Dr. Bruce Banner
The built in character designer is a really cool idea !
What I would change is squarely the game difficulty.
Maybe it will be more thrilling if the characters are stay dead after they died once.
So the game would have a little pot.
" The day you stop racing,
is the day you win the race "

The PSP version had bonus game modes were heroes couldn't be revived.Do you think the game modes could be converted to PC ?

Well honestly, coding isn't my strong point, but I read around the forum that there are a lot of things which was converted from PSP to PC ( skins , mannequins ... )
So maybe there is a chance to do it.

I felt the character slot maxes bypass to above 27 from PSP's 30 max slots won't be make to be converted to PC version
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

I like the idea of being able to make maps. It would be cool to try and make a whole new custom game.

Yes , creating new maps to the game will open a lot of new possibilities in modding.
But apropos , does anybody have the character select screen menu model in obj format ?
Or other, wich I can convert to a readable file to 3DSMAX.
I want to try to make a few versions .

QuoteBut apropos , does anybody have the character select screen menu model in obj format ?
Or other, wich I can convert to a readable file to 3DSMAX.
I want to try to make a few versions .

Here is a rip of the Character Select in it's rawest form.
>>>>>>>>https://www.mediafire.com/?agc83ncgln43cmg<<<<<<<<

I've also included textures and shaders, although the later may not be needed.
model(s) obviously need to be re-sized (needs to be much bigger) and positioned to be facing the right direction (which I'm sure you are aware of)
Let me know if you need anything else from me. I'm interested to see what you plan on doing w/ it.

Which makes me wonder, is this model referred to anywhere within the game's exe? (Outsider?) Or,what .engb file calls for that model and can it be accessed by hex-editing the game's exe?
If so, it could possibly be hex-edited to point to a new (custom) Character Select screen, which would work perfectly for those of us who use a custom EXEs to access alternate herostats.

^^view MelloMods' Mods^^

Quote from: MelloMods on July 08, 2016, 03:13PM
Here is a rip of the Character Select in it's rawest form.
>>>>>>>>https://www.mediafire.com/?agc83ncgln43cmg<<<<<<<<

I've also included textures and shaders, although the later may not be needed.
model(s) obviously need to be re-sized (needs to be much bigger) and positioned to be facing the right direction (which I'm sure you are aware of)
Let me know if you need anything else from me. I'm interested to see what you plan on doing w/ it.

Thanks Man !!!  :thumbsup2:
I don't have a plan in factual.First I have to figuered out how to manage this process.
I think it's have to compare to the mannequin process.
But I have to find the right size and the right possition of the model. After this the creative part ensue ...

I actually did resize it and position (somewhat) it for you in Max, but only uploaded the obj rip. I can export the whole scene in a 3ds file, if you'd like.

^^view MelloMods' Mods^^