The Phoenix/Jean...thing

Started by Nowhere Man, March 03, 2009, 01:24PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 03, 2009, 01:24PM Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:19PM by Nowhere Man
I'd like to discuss how Jean became so popular after the X-Men movies.

I remember when my friends and I watched the 90's animated X-Men series and the everybody discussed who was better Storm ou Rogue. Some people even liked Jubilee. But Jean had almost no fans.

I think that all these Jean fans that are showing up are actually Dark Phoenix fans. Think about it...every Jean fan uses pics of Phoenix, not Jean. Jean herself was never a very interesting character...kinda insecure, not much personality or charisma. A character who didn't really make a stand. Every time in the comic books when she was just Jean with no Phoenix thing she didn't shine at all and generally just disappeared when in the presence of other far more charismatic x-men. On the other hand, we all like to imagine what it would be like to be just a regular person with power enough to destroy the world if anyone messed with us. There's also the visual aspect with the firebird, the red and gold, the great pictures and so on. And I think everyone sometimes would just like to blow dozens of people to oblivion like she did in the movies.

Some people started liking her cause of X-Men evolution, but she was way out of character. Secure, bossy, know it all, holier than everybody else. That's definitly not the Jean from the comic books.

Dark Phoenix was a GREAT character for the dark phoenix saga. But there's only so much you can do with that old "too much power for a person" issue. Plus, they have used several other people to do this kinda thing (scarlet witch, proteus, franklin richards, jamie braddock) and it got old.

My personal favourite is the White Phoenix. To me it's like Jean finally accepted and embraced a destiny and duty far greater then herself (for the first time) truly merging with the phoenix force and embracing her powers and responsabilities as such. Now she's a character that's not worried about her romance with Cyclops or her attraction to Wolverine, she's worried about the cosmic balance on which all existance depends. I hope I don't see Jean Grey with the X-Men ever again. Now she's perfect. She's a human, a mutant and has the ever so charismatic Phoenix with her to actually make her likable. There's a lot of great stories that can be written with this version of Jean/Phoenix.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

March 03, 2009, 02:49PM #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:52PM by Faure
Tbh, I'm an Marvel fan since the current hype of movies, mostly supported by X-Men 1/2/3. They fired up my interest in the X-Men and Marvel-hero's, which was later extended by Fantastic 4 and Iron Man.

I never read the comics, but right now I'm catching up with the X-Men Animated (and after that the Evolution) cartoons. Currently I'm halfway Season 2, so I haven't been to the Phoenix Saga's yet.

My favorite 'thing'  always have been (control over) nature. Things like being one with animals etc etc etc bla bla. This is why Storm remains my most favorite character.

Why I got interested in Jean Grey (not the phoenix), as far as I know her and her abilities, is actually the fact she's played by Famke Jansen. Not only a favorite actress of mine, also I share her nationalty (dutch). In the movies the Dark Phoenix is obvious a 'bad guy' while Jean Grey (the pre-phoenix one) is a good person. I personally like Jean Grey. Telekinese I find very interesting (and cool :P ). Dark Phoenix has more the destructive-based powers (what I know of), which I like less.

Maybe it's the fault of the movies making her more interesting then she's always been intended, but the movies are the reason why I like Jean Grey.
On a different note; one who i really didn't like in the movies, but started likeing after the cartoons is Rogue. In the movies she's this moaning stupid  weak person, while in the X-Animated she's a real fun, happy girl, with a sexy accent.

I actually prefer Jean Grey to the Phoenix. The Phoenix is too much of an "I win" button.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

QuoteOn a different note; one who i really didn't like in the movies, but started likeing after the cartoons is Rogue. In the movies she's this moaning stupid  weak person, while in the X-Animated she's a real fun, happy girl, with a sexy accent.

I couldn't agree more! Jim Lee's Rogue is soooo much better than this depressed rogue from the movies and x:Ev
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

OT - Rogue

Way before Jim Lee, Rogue was already a lot of fun! Early in the 90's, she had this enourmous sadness, all right... but she would often take away bad guys's powers by just giving them a huge lip lock!

March 03, 2009, 06:06PM #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:09PM by xlehnsherr
Jim Lee actually revamped Rogue in the 90's.

As for the movies, think of this way: If you really put a storyline following EXACTLY as the comics, the movie would be soooooo long and still wouldn't be enough! She was put in the movie because of her popularity in the comics, but not in a way readers liked, cause it simply won't fit.

They'd have to include Ms. Marvel, the entire original Brotherhood, and etc, etc, etc. AND, Wolverine could have never been the main focus character that way!
What Would You Do... If You Only Had... One More Day?

I was there, friend. lol

It all started on savage land, I think...?