Weird beginning to game

Started by fox456, October 27, 2009, 06:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't know this was possible:

I have several modded characters in my game, but decided to see how Thor would do in the first level by himself in a new Normal mode game.  Well, guess who showed up to fight along side him -- Spider-man, Captain America and Wolverine -- NONE of which are in my game according to Heroselect!  That was really a surprise.  I didn't think it was possible for them to appear since they aren't in my 27 characters.
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927

Are they in your NPCstat?  Perhaps the game is somehow still finding them.

Yes, they are in NPCstat.  The only modification I have ever made to that file was to add Nick Fury so that his icon would show up when he talked.  The NPCstat doesn't list any powers for them, but they had all their powers too.

Did they level up? Are you 99% certain they weren't in the herostat? This is all mighty interesting.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I just double-checked the herostat, and know they weren't in it.  Incidentally, even though this was Normal mode, they had all their powers and were able to build up to their extremes.  Of course, they weren't shown as mannequins on the character selection screen.

So if you'd unselect them, they'd stay unselected? This is rather... intriguing, really, as it might give us four extra character slots, no?

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

it is very odd indeed. have you edited charinfo.xmlb?

this line: "start_game = e3,normal,demo1,demo2 ;" should only be under the characters you want to start the game with.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Just to be clear -- did you take those other characters out of the herostat and put them into the NPCstat?  More than likely that's why they're spawning.

I'd just double check the herostat inside the actual data folder just in case you have the right one there.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

October 28, 2009, 11:40AM #9 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:51AM by Teancum
Did you only take them out of the CFG? Or the ENGB? YOu may want to take them out of all herostats.

Lots of interesting comments and questions...  Let me address them.

First, since I found out that this site existed in February (Thank you!) and started incorporating mods, I have never chosen Wolverine to be in my roster EVER again!  HA!  So, I have no idea how he would be in my lineup.

Also, I have never replaced a character by exchanging their herostat files.  I have only used heroselect to choose my lineups.

Quote from: Noelemahc on October 28, 2009, 03:41AM
So if you'd unselect them, they'd stay unselected?

When I first started the game, I had three "empty" slots and Thor.  The three empty slots read as "Captain Marvel" although I hadn't selected him to join the team.  Captain Marvel was one of my 27.  Incidentally, with Thor and the "three Captain Marvels," I also got the team bonus of "Air Force."

The three Captain Marvels turned out to be Spiderman, Captain America and Wolverine.  After meeting Nick Fury and going back to the selection screen at the first "hud," I deselected the three Captain Marvels (again they appeared as empty slots except for the "Captain Marvel" name) and chose three new characters to go along with Thor.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 28, 2009, 06:07AM
it is very odd indeed. have you edited charinfo.xmlb?

this line: "start_game = e3,normal,demo1,demo2 ;" should only be under the characters you want to start the game with.

I definitely have not edited that file -- I've never read it before today.  However, I just decompiled it and it has Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine and Captain America with the "start_game" line you listed above.

Quote from: Dihan on October 28, 2009, 09:17AM
I'd just double check the herostat inside the actual data folder just in case you have the right one there.

I did double check and I was indeed looking at the "in-game" herostat in the Data folder.

Quote from: piutebob on October 28, 2009, 11:40AM
Did you only take them out of the CFG? Or the ENGB? YOu may want to take them out of all herostats.

I use Heroselect to choose characters.  I just add new mods into the game and modify the herostat.cfg and let Heroselect take care of everything else.  (I hope that made sense).

Quote from: Teancum on October 28, 2009, 09:01AM
Just to be clear -- did you take those other characters out of the herostat and put them into the NPCstat?  More than likely that's why they're spawning.

Good clarification question (and I think you may be onto something!).  There is an entry in the NPCstat file for each of these characters that is similar to the ones in my herostat file.  Spiderman's entry looks like this:

stats {
   ailevel = 1 ;
   autospend = bruiser_light ;
   body = 7 ;
   characteranims = 09_spiderman ;
   charactername = Spider-Man ;
   level = 1 ;
   mind = 8 ;
   name = Spiderman ;
   playable = true ;
   power1 = power1 ;
   power2 = power2 ;
   power3 = power3 ;
   power4 = power4 ;
   powerstyle = ps_spiderman ;
   scriptlevel = 3 ;
   skin = 0901 ;
   skin_01_name = Classic ;
   sounddir = spider_m ;
   strength = 6 ;
   team = hero ;
   textureicon = 7 ;
      talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p1 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p2 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p3 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p4 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p5 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p6 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p7 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_p10 ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_tied ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_zip ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = spider_dodge ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = fightstyle_default ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = block ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = might ;
      }

talent {
      level = 1 ;
      name = melee_moves ;
      }

StatEffect {
      anim = menu_action ;
      bolt = Bip01 L Hand ;
      effect = char/spider/menu_idle ;
      fxlevel = 1 ;
      }

StatEffect {
      anim = menu_idle ;
      bolt = Bip01 L Hand ;
      effect = char/spider/menu_idle ;
      fxlevel = 2 ;
      }

}

*** NOTE: I just compared my current NPCstat file to the one I was using before I updated to the 1.2 version of the Official Characters Mod.  My old NPCstat file did NOT include the above code for Spiderman (or any of the others).  Hmmm, why is this code in the NPCstat file now?

Sounds like Teancum was right!  Does this really allow for the possibility of four additional characters as Noelemahc stated?

Perhaps, but switching the non-herostat char out for one who is in the herostat makes it useless, unless the limit is cracked.

BUTTTTT this can be combined with the NPC > 27 or something mod right?

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, no matter who you have in your npcstat, as long as that line I pasted is only under the character you want to start the game with, it's impossible to star with others. I have it under Black Widow and ONLY Black Widow. Makes sense to me cause she's a shield agent. Anyways, I always start my game with only one character - her.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Looks like no cracking the character limit for us.  If they were in the NPCstat it ties back to things we've tried before.

November 08, 2009, 06:41PM #14 Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:43PM by Rugos
I know what happened (or some of it)
theirs a file that defines the starting chars, I think its in the level file, and it defines thor, spidey, america and logan,
and no matter who is in your roster, they always start the game. (except for that time with black panther) they all have their powers unlocked,
cap is at level 99, with neagative 3000000000000something exp, and 90 skill points for powers. the rest are at level 1, but with 1 skill point each, and each skill is unlocked. the weird thing is, cap can assighn a normal power to his xtreme power slot (I use a gamepad on pc)

they dont show up in the char select slot, but if you leave their "emty" spots open, they are still their in game(unless you replace them, then theyre gone)
try starting a new game without them in your roster and beating my record of 2 minutes to the nearest chrselect.

Live as if you will die today. Dream as if you will live forever.