I'm having the same problem as the others. Heroselect doesn't seem to be working, to the point where even clicking accept and then starting the game normally isn't working. I've tried this, in addition to ensuring that both heroselect and herostatxml2.cfg point to the correct file location and deleting the settings.dat file created under My Documents. It would be great to finally be able to add some characters to the game, but I'm not sure how to work around this problem and any help would be appreciated.
BTW, sorry to necropost, but jacobprater already had a thread in the technical issues section that hadn't been answered and I figured I'd get in less trouble doing this than starting another thread.
EDIT: I was just looking at the files. If it wasn't for some getting this to work successfully, I'd think the problem was the presence of "xml2" in herostat (herostatxml2.cfg) and the references to it in heroselect.
Looking at it more, I just noticed that, unlike your MUA heroselect (which is very well-made), this one isn't updating any of the files under the data folder. passvalues.hero is being populated, but the selected character information isn't making it to the data files, leading me to believe the specific segment of your code dealing with this is the problem.
EDIT: disgaea and I finally got everything to work correctly. If anyone's curious, check out the topic below.http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,9034.0.html