Question about resistances in MUA1

Started by jmmiller33, December 29, 2017, 09:56AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 29, 2017, 09:56AM Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:00AM by jmmiller33
Not sure if this is the right section for this, just joined the MM forum today.  If I've put this in the wrong place, let me know.

My question is about MUA1 (the default version of the game, non-modified) and resistances.  When something says "all resistances" does this include Physical damage attacks, and does it include enemy melee attacks, or does it only include things like Energy/Fire/Cold/Electricity/Radiation?

To be more specific: the Rhino's Horn item says "+10% to all resistances (except Mental)".  Does this mean that a character who equips Rhino's Horn will resist 10% of all damage (effectively 10% damage reduction), or does it include only certain damage types?

Same goes for the New Avengers team bonus (+5% all resistances).  Does this mean that every character on the team will resist 5% of all incoming damage, or does this not include Physical and melee?

EDIT: Also, I don't yet know how to look into the code of the game (I'm not a modder myself, though I'd like to learn how).  Do the characters in MUA1 have innate resistances to certain damage types, that are not listed on their stats page?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help me out with this question.

I believe that "all resistances" refers to only special damage types. In X-Men Legends 2, any passives that say they raise all resistances show only special damage types, so I'm assuming that the same holds true for Ultimate Alliance. I'm not sure if characters have innate resistances, but if they do, it's most likely coupled with one of the stats on the stat page.

All Resistances includes all of the damage types, including dmg_physical (the code for Physical Dmg). If you open the game's .exe file with a hex-editor and search for dmg_ you can find all of the game's damage types. There's only one damage type that's no included in resist_all (the code for All Resistances), which is dmg_special, but as far as I know it is not used by anyone (yet... *evil laugh*).

However, Luke Cage's All Resistances passive does not work because the values are messed up, but other characters' (Deadpool's, Iron Man's etc) works. I will fix it in my upcoming Maegawa's Patch mod, along with many other unnoticed flaws... you can check details about it at my workbench.

I don't know if it reduces precisely what it says, but I can assure you it does decrease incoming damage...

About innate resistances, aside from the immunitites certain characters have, Ms. Marvel and Storm both have an innate 10% resistance to dmg_elemental, which if I recall correctly includes dmg_fire, dmg_cold, dmg_wind and possibly dmg_electricity & dmg_radiation.

Here you can find the tool to open most of the game's files.

Feel free to ask further questions regarding the game's coding, it's always a pleasure to help!
Click here for my releases.
And here for my workbench.

Quote from: Maegawa on December 30, 2017, 11:23PM
There's only one damage type that's no included in resist_all (the code for All Resistances), which is dmg_special, but as far as I know it is not used by anyone (yet... *evil laugh*).

:king: (evil laugh)

Funny you mentioned that... "dmg_special" is actually used by my newest mod, Jennifer Kale, who may be the first mod to use it. I used "dmg_special" to cover magic (which means I may have to change Zatanna and other magic characters to that damage type). With her, I was testing the various damage types, including uncommon types like dmg_magnetic, dmg_direct, and dmg_metal. Those don't appear to do anything unique.

Quote from: Outsider on December 31, 2017, 04:34AM
:king: (evil laugh)

Funny you mentioned that... "dmg_special" is actually used by my newest mod, Jennifer Kale, who may be the first mod to use it. I used "dmg_special" to cover magic (which means I may have to change Zatanna and other magic characters to that damage type). With her, I was testing the various damage types, including uncommon types like dmg_magnetic, dmg_direct, and dmg_metal. Those don't appear to do anything unique.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's thought about it, I'll use it to cover Dr. Strange's magic powers in my patch as well...

The damage types you mentioned are actually variations of existing damage types (in a similar way to how dmg_blade is actually dmg_physical), dmg_magnetic is recognized as dmg_energy, and I think dmg_direct and dmg_metal may fit in as dmg_physical.

It appears that only dmg_special is, well, special lol
Click here for my releases.
And here for my workbench.

January 03, 2018, 01:48PM #5 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:50PM by jmmiller33
Quote from: Maegawa on December 30, 2017, 11:23PM
All Resistances includes all of the damage types, including dmg_physical (the code for Physical Dmg). If you open the game's .exe file with a hex-editor and search for dmg_ you can find all of the game's damage types. There's only one damage type that's no included in resist_all (the code for All Resistances), which is dmg_special, but as far as I know it is not used by anyone (yet... *evil laugh*).

However, Luke Cage's All Resistances passive does not work because the values are messed up, but other characters' (Deadpool's, Iron Man's etc) works. I will fix it in my upcoming Maegawa's Patch mod, along with many other unnoticed flaws... you can check details about it at my workbench.

I don't know if it reduces precisely what it says, but I can assure you it does decrease incoming damage...

About innate resistances, aside from the immunitites certain characters have, Ms. Marvel and Storm both have an innate 10% resistance to dmg_elemental, which if I recall correctly includes dmg_fire, dmg_cold, dmg_wind and possibly dmg_electricity & dmg_radiation.

Here you can find the tool to open most of the game's files.

Feel free to ask further questions regarding the game's coding, it's always a pleasure to help!

Thanks very much for the detailed reply!

If I understand you correctly, 10% resist all (resist_all) would be more-or-less equivalent to 10% damage reduction, and 50% resist all would be equivalent to 50% damage reduction.

Thanks for the link to the tool that allows reading of the files as text.  Am I correct in saying that this tool would also allow a person to mod the game (ie, by changing the text and then re-compiling the file)?

The reason I ask is that I have no modding experience whatsoever, but I would love to buy the PC version of Ultimate Alliance and start making simple mods to the game.

By 'simple' mods I mean mods that don't involve making new characters, or changing skins.  I just want to do things like change the damage of certain powers, or move around passives from one costume to another, or change the effects of certain equipment, or re-name equipment.

Can the tool you linked help me to do things like that?  In other words, is it for modding and not only for reading the files?

EDIT: I read the thing more carefully, and it is clearly for modding.  One question, though: what kind of computer specs does someone need to properly run (a) the PC version of Ultimate Alliance, and (b) this modding tool?  Thanks for your help!

This game is very good game. With the MarvelMods community, it is an Awesome game! 12 years later and it still gets (unofficial) DLC (by way of mods). A few things you should note.

The newest Re-Mastered (steam) version of this game is not nearly as accessible as the original. I'd suggest getting an original copy of the game from eBay or something. It'll probably run you about $20-$30, if that.

you can check if your computer will run it w/ this website: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
You'll be asked to d/l an exe to run on your computer and you'll enter the name of the game in the search box. From there, it'll scan your system and determine if your computer/graphics card will run the game.

XMLBCUI - takes nothing to run. Remember to make copies (backup) of the file you wish to edit and decompile/compile them from the desktop.

Get to know this section: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html of the forum. You'll have more than enough information to get started there!

Good Luck!!

^^view MelloMods' Mods^^

Quote from: MelloMods on January 03, 2018, 04:38PM
This game is very good game. With the MarvelMods community, it is an Awesome game! 12 years later and it still gets (unofficial) DLC (by way of mods). A few things you should note.

The newest Re-Mastered (steam) version of this game is not nearly as accessible as the original. I'd suggest getting an original copy of the game from eBay or something. It'll probably run you about $20-$30, if that.

you can check if your computer will run it w/ this website: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
You'll be asked to d/l an exe to run on your computer and you'll enter the name of the game in the search box. From there, it'll scan your system and determine if your computer/graphics card will run the game.

XMLBCUI - takes nothing to run. Remember to make copies (backup) of the file you wish to edit and decompile/compile them from the desktop.

Get to know this section: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html of the forum. You'll have more than enough information to get started there!

Good Luck!!

Thanks for this information, very helpful!