OpenHeroSelect (Includes support for XML2 and the MUA 36 & 50 Character Mods!)

Started by Tony Stark, June 09, 2019, 03:59PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's finally here! A new HeroSelect that supports the default 27 characters, but also supports the 28, 33, 36 (both versions), and 50 character hacks! And supports both Marvel: Ultimate Alliance AND X-Men Legends II!

It's easy to use, way more convenient than dealing with every stat with xmlbcui every time, and very extensible!

Remember to make a backup before trying it out, and leave feedback here in case you run into trouble!

FAQ
How do I run this?
Just run OpenHeroSelect.exe and it'll prompt you to enter your info, and convert everything for you automatically! It's that easy! (If you're on Windows 10, it acts weird, so you might have to right-click and run OpenHeroSelect.exe as Administrator to make it work right.)

Using the default characters from the OC pack? Just run OpenHeroSelect.exe and you're good to go!

Got your own roster you want to use? No problem, it's really easy to set up your roster, and if you've got an old herostat.cfg you have just right from the old HeroSelect or the old OpenHeroSelect, it's really easy to convert! Just change a few lines and run the splitter (it's all in the included help files)!

Great, what makes this so much better than the old one?
Unlike the old HeroSelect, OpenHeroSelect supports more than just the default 27 characters. You could theoretically use any setup of menulocations and any number of characters you want, no programming knowledge required! All you'd have to do is generate a new menulocations cfg file. Not to mention, this one's open source!

This doesn't look anything the old HeroSelect, how do I use it?
Converting to the new format is easy, instructions are provided with the program.

There are already options included for the 28, 33, 36, and 50-character hacks in addition to the 27-character default. Just tell OpenHeroSelect which one you want to use. Like the default, they all work from left to right in the order the names are listed in the roster file.

If you really want to, you can even go in and make a new menulocations cfg file to support different menulocations and arrangements, just be careful to use the right numbers for what you have.

You keep saying open, what's so "open" about this?
This project is open source! The source code is also linked up above. I put the source code out so the project can be extended even further by others if there's a need.

Why is my antivirus flagging json2xmlb.exe/xml2json.exe as a virus?
This is a known issue with PyInstaller and certain antivirus/antimalware software. Rest assured, these are simple Python scripts and Python runtimes, and are completely safe (you can audit the source code yourself, after all). The best thing to do is report the file to your antivirus software's maker as a false positive.
References:

Special Thanks
Sagap - various improvements in the v2 version.
BaconWizard17 - xml to json converter script in v3+, and testing for X-Men Legends II support.
nikita488 - json to xmlb converter script in v3+.
ak2yny - OCP v2.4 character stats and roster, performance enhancements

Interesting. I might check this out! More characters is a must for me, thanks a ton!

Tony, I am a loyal user of Heroselect, and my first tutorials on YouTube were dedicated to teaching to everybody how to use it and even solve errors, so on behalf of all my subscribers who enjoy using heroselect I thank you and congratulate you on this,  your initiative. I'm very anxious to test all the latest news from our forum. Congratulations on your great idea!

Excellent work, Stark. I won't be able to try it out just yet, but Anderson and others who use Heroselect on the regular -- feel free to inform everyone how it performs when you try it out.

June 10, 2019, 07:29AM #5 Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:32AM by andersonbrazil
Great job really Tony!
I tried it here.
I'm using 33 RH. After reading the instructions, I made the changes in herostat.cfg to it adapt to the herostat of my game.

Very easy to handle, very practical. The numbering of the menulocation, separated in that cfg file, it helps a lot to organize the characters in the most appropriate places. Very good indeed. I liked. I do not know if you have already closed the project, but would like to propose the inclusion of a feature that you surely have already thought of in it. If possible, the inclusion of a new graphic map of the places in the menulocation would, in my view, be a great outcome for this project. To organize the places of each character I used the menulocation.cfg file but I had to use an image of the menulocation, used in the 33RH topic to put me on screen. If you could include a map, with vertical view, as it is in the application of heroselect would aid in a rapid organization of characters in menulocation. I point this proposal just to try to contribute a little with your project that is already fantastic, but if this is not possible, know that I have already been very pleased to have this new tool in hand and that from now I'll  to make this it, the official method of modification in MUA, in my game. Depending on what you decide I will wait or not because I want create a new video tutorial on my channel, about it.
Congratulations Tony! I really enjoyed the OpenHeroselect tool!                                                                       

Quote from: andersonbrazil on June 10, 2019, 07:29AM
Great job really Tony!
I tried it here.
I'm using 33 RH. After reading the instructions, I made the changes in herostat.cfg to adapt to the herostat of my game.

Very easy to handle, very practical. The numbering of the menulocation, separated in that cfg file, it helps a lot to organize the characters in the most appropriate places. Very good indeed. I liked. I do not know if you have already closed the project, but would like to propose the inclusion of a feature that you surely have already thought of in it. If possible, the inclusion of a new graphic map of the places in the menulocation would, in my view, be a great outcome for this project. To organize the places of each character I used the menulocation.cfg file but I had to use an image of the menulocation, used in the 33RH topic to put me on screen. If you could include a map, with vertical view, as it is in the application of heroselect would aid in a rapid organization of characters in menulocation. I point this proposal just to try to contribute a little with your project that is already fantastic, but if this is not possible, know that I have already been very pleased to have this new tool in hand and that from now I'll  to make this it, the official method of modification in MUA, in my game. Depending on what you decide I will wait or not because I want create a new video tutorial on my channel, about it.
Congratulations Tony! I really enjoyed the OpenHeroselect tool!                                                                       

Thanks! So the problem with the map is that this application isn't graphical, it's 100% text based. It would certainly be possible to write an application to do that, but it would require another full rewrite (or actually more easily it could theoretically be another application altogether). Right now the project isn't structured to do anything more than take in and put out text, but I would welcome a companion project that can rearrange the names in herostat.cfg and show the numbers based on the memulocations.cfg. Also you would need an image for every individual menulocation.cfg version, and would somehow need to specify the location of each number inside the image. I think it would be a full project to do it, but if someone else is willing to do it, I'm happy to include it.

hallelujah the 33 heroselect, thanks man

Quote from: Username on June 11, 2019, 07:30AM
hallelujah the 33 heroselect, thanks man

Let me know how it works for you! Hopefully it works as well as it did for Anderson.

Someday, 36 heroselect. Someday.
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

Quote from: LarsAlexandersson on June 13, 2019, 06:18AM
Someday, 36 heroselect. Someday.

It'll be very easy to make! All you'll have to do is copy menulocations.cfg and add the new spots.

Only problem needs to be taken care of first before new heroselect are regarding of mlm_team_back slot location via 3DS Max 4 - 5 (Old Alchemy) & 4 - 2013 (32-bit Alchemy 5.0)), & team_back selection coding
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

Well, if the game's memory can be somehow increased, having 36 or more on the roster would indeed be more possible. It would likely fix the "last 5" issues with the 33 Roster Hack. So far though, Krisan Thyme hasn't had any luck in doing so. I suspect that because he plays multiple games, he may not be completely focused on MUA though.

Hearing good things about this OpenHeroselect (OHS) program so far... I'll try it myself when I get a chance, but in the meantime, I'll be paying attention to the reviews. Well done.

this does not work for me sorry, i installed it, set the correct path for it to find the herostat.xml in the data folder, made sure the path double backslashes and it did not work for me, not sure why it will not work, but i have given up for now, if you need to know more i can provide screenshots in discord if you like.

anyway there's a..."tool" like the old heroselect? i mean the progam that opens and you can add,select,etc the characters you want. i feel really good with that method...because i can't understand well how to use the characters i want with this one "open"