Official Characters -- Beta v3 RELEASED (Mar 21, 2008)

Started by Teancum, March 21, 2008, 05:55AM

Previous topic - Next topic
boys in the hotfix there is only dr.doom and there isn't nightcrawler why? the hotfix is 976kb not 1,67mb...

Hi, I'm a definite newbie at modding this game so I hope you folks will bear with me! I just started trying to add this mod but can't figure this herostat or Heroselect stuff  out. Here's a few of the questions I have:

Once I install the mod and the hotfix, there's a new herostat.cfg in both my base MUA folder AND in my heroselect folder. Which do I use?

I added the xmlb-compile program to windows and tried to decompile the herostat.engb file with no luck. Then I used the XMLCUI program and got the XML file I was supposed to. Now what? Am I to edit something, or isn't Heroselect supposed to do that?

Looking at the Heroselect program, how am I supposed to know what character is replacing whom in that grid of numbers?

The Heroselect.pdf makes a reference to copying over files from the ui/menus directory into the directory where Heroselect is installed, or else using more than 27 characters isn't possible. Is that correct?

Please be kind to a noob, if you would... I'm having trouble going through all these pages and trying to sort out what to do. I just want to give this great looking mod a go! I do apologize for any questions you find obvious or repetitive but they aren't to me. Thanks very much in advance!

Quote from: dmc01 on October 23, 2008, 12:54AM
Once I install the mod and the hotfix, there's a new herostat.cfg in both my base MUA folder AND in my heroselect folder. Which do I use?
Use the one in the heroselect folder

Looking at the Heroselect program, how am I supposed to know what character is replacing whom in that grid of numbers?
You'll know who is in your roster by who you add, so that is how you know who you are replacing. There is a picture floating around the forum that shows which number corresponds to the default character. You can also use this one to help:

I added the xmlb-compile program to windows and tried to decompile the herostat.engb file with no luck. Then I used the XMLCUI program and got the XML file I was supposed to. Now what? Am I to edit something, or isn't Heroselect supposed to do that?
You can edit it manually or use Heroselect.

The Heroselect.pdf makes a reference to copying over files from the ui/menus directory into the directory where Heroselect is installed, or else using more than 27 characters isn't possible. Is that correct?
The version of Heroselect that comes with this mod does not have these menu files in the heroselect directory because they already come with the mod in the appropriate directories. So you can ignore that. You will be able to use 27 characters if you have installed this mod

Nice picture Radd. It's Hawkeye in his XBOX 360 slot:91. But yep, his right.

Thanks for the tips, Norrin Radd! I'm still having some newbie problems though. When you say to edit the xml file, what do I put in it, then? I noticed that there's nothing on Venom in there... is there info on Venom and perhaps other characters I'm supposed to put in there? Then what, do I change it back to an engb file with the compile program and then put it in the data directory??

Sorry, but I'm just having a lot of trouble with this. In any case, when I run the Heroselect it starts the game but no changes I make stay in effect.

I truly appreciate any patient help or tips you can give.  :)

Well, I thought I had it straight finally... I decompiled the herostat.engb and made an xml file, then edited it  with the new values from the new herostat.cfg containing the new character data... then recompiled it into an .engb file and tried using the Heroselect then. Obviously I did something wrong again, as the game showed the initial MUA screen (with the pics of a few characters in dull gray in the background), then crashed to the desktop stating a problem with game.exe.

What could I have done wrong? Was that not how I was to edit the file?

If you add the information to the xml directly and recompile it, there is no need to use Heroselect. Heroselect is just an option if you don't want to do it manually, and it is a way of storing all your mods information.

The fact that it crashed is sort of good, because it means you were able to modify the engb file. When you are swapping characters be sure to follow these instructions:
http://marvelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=43

October 24, 2008, 04:25AM #247 Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:27AM by Power Cosmic
dmc, which 2 DLC slot would you liked to used. There's:
95:Magneto
96:Venom
26:Hulk
91:Hawkeye
92:Cyclops

They are the only slot which is non-buged. see mlm_team_back file.

October 24, 2008, 07:03PM #248 Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:37PM by ragincajun
Please bear with me, since i'm new and this is probably and stupid question.

I've downloaded the mod and Moon Knight, Colossus, Hulk, and Hawkeye work fine, but I can't figure out how to get the other characters into the game.  Any help that can be given would be nice and appreciated.  Thanks

Quote from: Norrin Radd on October 24, 2008, 04:14AM
If you add the information to the xml directly and recompile it, there is no need to use Heroselect. Heroselect is just an option if you don't want to do it manually, and it is a way of storing all your mods information.
But since I don't see the name of the character of Venom (and perhaps others) in Heroselect, doesn't that mean I have to edit the XML regardless?

Quote from: Norrin Radd on October 24, 2008, 04:14AM
The fact that it crashed is sort of good, because it means you were able to modify the engb file. When you are swapping characters be sure to follow these instructions:
http://marvelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=43
I've been reading that and other pages several times but unfortunately I just have been getting more confused rather than helped, because I believe I follow the instructions and things don't seem to work as intended.

When I edited the XML file (the .engb I compiled that crashed the game), I basically copied the contents of the .cfg file to it and omitted the character names from each section as the .engb file didn't have those. So my finished file had the original characters plus the new, added ones. What could my mistake have been there?

If you're doing it manually you need to put the menulocations

Quote from: Gevth on October 25, 2008, 02:19PM
Look into the folder called "heroselect" for "heroselect_readme", then read it.

Yes, Yes, I did that.  I thought I followed all of the instructions, but still won't work.

First I would like to say this program is simply awesome! I am perplexed on one thing though. I am trying to resize Thor as I think he should be taller, but I can't seem to figure out how. I used to just use XMLBCUI to compile/decompile herostat.engb but if I do that the changes do not take effect. When I try to edit the herostat.cfg I get wacky results such as two Wolverines, one of which replaces Thor in the start of the game. How can I edit the characters now?

can this work on pc or does it just work on the consoles listed?