Emma Frost Release (Updates in XML1 release thread)

Started by DJay Saint, March 06, 2007, 07:06PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 06, 2007, 07:06PM Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:33PM by Burning Rage
Here is the Emma Frost I have said I have been working on.  After a few bug fixes, I'm throwing out the files for people to play with.  It is by no means 100% done, but it is very playable.  The purpose of releasing it now is to get feedback on bugs and anything else someone finds wrong with Emma.  For now, you can download her here:

Alpha Version
Beta v1.2
Beta v1.3 (Most up to date).

Compilation of known bugs:

1.  When entering a new section of the story, Emma seems to lose her power list.  For now, just go to an Xtraction point, and go to the change team menu.  Her powers will show up again.  I do not know why this is, and am trying to figure out a way to prevent this from happening.  FIXED.  I forgot the hero_xml pkgb...  :P

2.  Icons display improperly.  FIXED.  I just goofed on a powerstyle definition, putting the same icon in twice.

3.  Emma's Mind Control is buhroken.  FIXED.  I upped the cost so it can't be used 30 times a second, changed the AI reuse time, and changed the conversion to chance.

EDIT:  Note this is in the XML2 forum because as of right now, this mod is only for XML2, not MUA.  This will be converted for MUA eventually.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Did you overwrite another char, or put her in that elusive 21st slot? If it is choice no. 2, then that may be the cause of the power issue: the other slots are defined in the .exe.

Thanks, BTW!

/goes to add Emma to his game :P

March 06, 2007, 07:41PM #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:44PM by Burning Rage
I added her to that elusive 21st slot.  Everything is working great except for the disappearing powers act.  I numbered everything 121.  I'll have to see if I can't hack the .exe then (if possible).  Otherwise, I guess I'll have to deal with going to an Xtraction point every time I enter a new level.  :D   I'm in the works of putting the rest of her powers in (just a matter of copy and paste).  Once I finish the icons for those, I'll release an updated Talent, Powerstyle, and Icons.

Ah! Trouble! Fury was 121! This'll phuck up the Sentinel level, for sure.  :-X

(psst... you coulda just numbered her 90, then you wouldn't have to duplicate that 1 costume 2x; plus, you wouldn't have had to make your own dialogue head  :D)

March 06, 2007, 07:51PM #4 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:54PM by Burning Rage
Huh?  0.o   I don't see a 121 for Fury at all in my Actors folder, which is why I stuck her in slot 121.  The next best thing that resembles it is 0121, which is far from 12103.  And I didn't make my own dialogue head...  I just copied the one already in the game.  ;)  (Emma's NPC is 90, so if I had named the playable to 90, I thought it would phuck her up during the mission she runs around with you?)  That dupe costume was a placeholder, as I was originally using 12101 for the X-box skin to compare/contrast.

March 06, 2007, 07:57PM #5 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:01PM by BliZZ
So long as her NAME isn't the same, it won't phuck it up. (check out how Raven did Pyro/Toothy) And there is no 121 in Actors b/c Fury don't have a skin, he has an hud_head/npc char.

EDIT: PS, I MAY have found the source of the power issue: your pkgs link to ps_frost, NOT ps_emmafrost, as they should.

Meh...  I'll change that when I release the updated talent/powerstyle.  Is the defaultman slot free game (no adverse effects if I torch him or anything in favor of someone else?)?  If so, that's the slot I'm going to use for Psyloche when I get around to doing her.

March 06, 2007, 08:07PM #7 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:26PM by BliZZ
No, overwrite defaultman and whoever is at the bottom *cough*Emma*cough* will be dropped. When I say 21 char limit, I mean 21 char limit. Unless we can change where that is defined (which we likely can't), that means dropping a char. Personally, I'd ditch the Prof for Betsy (and IronMan/Deadpool (who aren't X-Men!) for Beast/Jubes, but that's a story for another day :P)

EDIT: Quick Icon Problem:

As you can see, the in-game icon for her 2nd attack is off.

EDIT2: After playing for a second, I suggest that you change her 'Mind Control' to a percent chance to convert, not a 'will convert'. While she was AI controlled, she spammed it 3 times in a row and a whole room was allies/unkillable  :o

March 07, 2007, 08:02AM #8 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:24AM by Burning Rage
Just a powerstyle definition.  I declared both icons the same on accident.  As for the mind control, I'll up the power usage since it's kind of broken (hence testing), change to percentage, and will modify the AI reuse time so she doesn't use it 3 times in a row.  :P  The new talent files are done, and I just have to finish the powerstyle for the talents.  Once that is done, I'll redefine the icon locations.  Should be done later today.  Oh, and where in the .exe are the slots defined?  I opened it up with a resource hacker and have not found anything useful yet...  and I have no idea what to look for with the hex editor.

QuoteEDIT: PS, I MAY have found the source of the power issue: your pkgs link to ps_frost, NOT ps_emmafrost, as they should.

A DEFINITE oversight...  I have not modified the pkgs since I first started the mod, and decided I would rename her power style to ps_emmafrost, because the NPC is linked to ps_frost...  I'm glad someone else is paying attention, because apparantly I'm not...  :D  Will change that and get it out pronto.

QuoteOh, and where in the .exe are the slots defined?
If we knew THAT, do you think we'd be <censored>ing around with the NPCSTAT substitution? MUA and XML2 share this problem in all respects :D

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Woohoo. Looks like I'm gonna have to break out the XML2 and re-install. It'll be great to play with Emma. Looking forward to Psylocke too. Perhaps someday I'll learn how to do this stuff, I have too much free time on my hands these days...

The pack only contains one skin while the herostat lists three skins, where can i get the other two.

In the XML skin megapack, I assume. They're PS2 skins, so despite the fact that the pack is formatted for MUA, these two will work in XML2.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

March 07, 2007, 12:53PM #13 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:56PM by Burning Rage
I was using two skins to compare differences between the x-box skin and the ps2 skin.  The third one was Emma's NPC skin used in the game, which I just copied and renamed.  It's skin 9001 or something like that.  For now the herostat definitions are just placeholders until I get time to make more.  When that time comes, I'll just throw them in the actors folder and not worry about having to define them in Herostat, since they are already done now.

Quote from: BliZZEDIT: PS, I MAY have found the source of the power issue: your pkgs link to ps_frost, NOT ps_emmafrost, as they should.

After updating the references in the pkgs, I've come to the conclusion that it didn't even matter.  The power issue is still there.  *shrugs*

After moving her to slot 90 and adding _hero to her skelie/talent/pkgs (ala pyro/toothy), I can tell you that that works perfectly. You don't even need to rename her ps (unless you really want to)

PS: If you want help with Betsy, I'd be willing to convert her effects; which would leave you with just talent/ps/ent files to do :P