the problems of marvel comics

Started by Nowhere Man, March 10, 2009, 08:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: piutebob on March 11, 2009, 04:42PM
I have to add something: Why on Earth (or should I say, why on Asgard:rofl:) did they do Norse gods and Goddesses? Why? Why! That is un-origanal, like you say about other heroes, Nowhere Man.

I saw once an interview where Stan Lee explained how he and Kirby created Thor. They wanted a character that was stronger than Hulk, but Hulk was supposed to be the strongest man there is. So they decided to go with a god. They went with Asgardians because they had a mythology as deep as Romans or Greeks, but weren't as known.

Also, keep in mind that Thor was one of the first (if not the first) god/superhero. At the time it was probably hailed as the craziest and most original idea ever. You know how in the old myths, the god's came down and meddle with mortal affairs? Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were the first people to bring them back in modern times. As far as I know, every prior literary work that included old gods was set in the ancient times (think Midsummer Night's Dream, for example). That, my friends, is something that just someone really talented could come up with. And I say that with all my (non-existant) degrees in literature and ancient history.

Also, I wouldn't disregard the possibility that Norse mythology is much better known now because of Marvel's Thor!

March 16, 2009, 01:10AM #16 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:03AM by Shauny7488
Quote from: Gevth on March 15, 2009, 09:37PM
I saw once an interview where Stan Lee explained how he and Kirby created Thor. They wanted a character that was stronger than Hulk, but Hulk was supposed to be the strongest man there is. So they decided to go with a god. They went with Asgardians because they had a mythology as deep as Romans or Greeks, but weren't as known.

Also, keep in mind that Thor was one of the first (if not the first) god/superhero. At the time it was probably hailed as the craziest and most original idea ever. You know how in the old myths, the god's came down and meddle with mortal affairs? Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were the first people to bring them back in modern times. As far as I know, every prior literary work that included old gods was set in the ancient times (think Midsummer Night's Dream, for example). That, my friends, is something that just someone really talented could come up with. And I say that with all my (non-existant) degrees in literature and ancient history.

Also, I wouldn't disregard the possibility that Norse mythology is much better known now because of Marvel's Thor!

not to mention that stories have been re-told for millions of years, Thor is just Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's re-telling of Norse mythology

Quote from: Shauny7488 on March 16, 2009, 01:10AM
not to mention that stories have been re-told for millions of years, Thor is just Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's re-telling of Norse mythology

Millions of years??? Ah. Well, Marvel could be a little more decent. Other then that, they do fine!

Millions? Mon ami, now your over-exaggerating this whole thing.

March 16, 2009, 09:22PM #19 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:42PM by Shauny7488
cavemen told stories no? thats millions of years...

since when did this thread turn into a debate about prehistory? even if you think i got my history wrong you get what my point is.

Please stay on topic.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

My apologies.  Back on topic then.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but if it is just a re-telling, its a pretty good one.

it's more than re-telling, it's different and more elaborate than the actuall norse mythology. if you research it you'll see that most norse mythology stories are very confusing and have had several interpretations. Marvels norse mythology is a lot more organized and considering that dozens of people have been writing it for almost fifty years, i'd say there's already a lot more to it.

PS: the norse civilization only started existing around the 8th century, so stories about Thor & company aren't much older than that. But if you consider the earlier deities that later became knows as gods with different names in different mythologies (like Thor, Zeus, Ukko...) they might be originated at the same time as modern humans. Still it's only about 200.000 years, not millions.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 17, 2009, 01:22PMUkko...

Holy batpole. You really have researched. At least norse mythology makes more interesting comics than Kalevala and old finnish gods ("Ukko" rose to our skies sometime around 2400BC) ever would, hehe.

March 19, 2009, 06:59AM #24 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:01AM by rodrigols
First of all, I must say that I registered recently, but I've been using the mods for more than an year.
Second of all, english is not my first language so I apologize for any misspelling or gramatical errors.

On topic:

1. 100% agreed.

2. Same as nodoubt_jr. I only mind if there's too much team comics coming out

3. I agree with the "same powers" part, but not with the rest.

4. I'm completely OK with power changes, as long as it is well explained or at least there's a plot revolving around someone's sudden mystery change of powers..

5. I would say that the problem is a little wider. I think it's too cheap to just throw in a bunch of characters saying "I'm from a distant future/alternate reality and I came here to keep my reality from happening".

6. Agreed.

7. The Young Avengers are really cheap. As I said on 5, I don't care for different time/reality heroes.

8. Now that you mentioned it, they ARE exagerating a bit..

"Thor's problem". As Gevth mentioned, at the time it was pretty original so I don't have a problem with that.

PS: Dihan, I love your mods. They made me return to the MUA(modding) world after a couple of months of absence :D

Quote5. I would say that the problem is a little wider. I think it's too cheap to just throw in a bunch of characters saying "I'm from a distant future/alternate reality and I came here to keep my reality from happening".

VERY well said!!!
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

what do u mean by
the Young Avengers are cheap..

One thing that drives me crazy is that, like with Blade, he has all the cool abilities of a vampire, but none of their weaknesses. He should have to deal with something that makes things difficult, like staying out of the sun cause he'll melt, or something.

What about the fact that they think they are too good for everyone else? (Thor is especially Pompous [I like to pick on Thor, it seems])

I don't like how they create characters and then kill them off in a way which seems random.

1) Dust was "killed" because of her glass arm. She was brought back by Ink, though.
2) Hellion and Surge had been teleported away after being injected with something, supposedly to blow up or something. Survival is doubtful.
3) Meltdown was killed by the Sapien League
4) Pixie is now a demon in Limbo
5) Shadowcat is in that stupid bullet thing

I like the New X-Men. I don't want any more to be killed off!

Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.