Disney Buys Marvel

Started by Dihan, August 31, 2009, 07:34AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dihan on August 31, 2009, 01:25PM
I'm more worried about the future of Marvel Mods, to be honest. Now that Disney will come to own all of Marvel's characters, will they take it upon themselves to get the site shut-down?
That's my main concern too. I don't think they will influence Marvel's editorial, big companies tend to not do that... all the time. But they do have tendencies to be more protective on their trademarks, and the money they can make with them.

lol hannah montana/ x-men XD X-Mentana right?

Why would Disney have to worry about income if they have enough to buy Marvel?

Big companies like throwing their weight around. It's as simple as that.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

Quote from: Dihan on August 31, 2009, 01:56PM
Big companies like throwing their weight around. It's as simple as that.

and they have more resources to go after the littlest things.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

I really think some people are making to big a deal of this. The worst disney will do is make new comic books for disney characters. They won't tamper with any of the regular books.

Quote from: marvelfan12345 on August 31, 2009, 03:05PM
I really think some people are making to big a deal of this. The worst disney will do is make new comic books for disney characters. They won't tamper with any of the regular books.

No one knows if that will be the worst disney will do, we cant really say what they will do.  Disney has been known to mess with stuff to make it more family friendly.  Having said that, Disney is still a business company and i dont think they will mess with something that is working/selling.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

For now it doesnt sound bad but sooner or later they will want they'r grubby hands on marvel characters

What the f? how the heck could marvel agree to this?

Quote from: nodnerg on August 31, 2009, 03:36PM
For now it doesnt sound bad but sooner or later they will want they'r grubby hands on marvel characters
yeah! what will happen to fan favorite antiheros (and heroes) like wolverine, punisher and deadpool just to name a few.

I dont think we'll be seeing R rated wolverine, deadpool or punisher movies anytime soon. People have brought up the point that studios owned by disney already have but I think this is differant because they are being very public about it and they see marvels characters as a reflection on disney, but who knows time will tell

Okay this really isn't that bad. It's actually pretty great once you think about it. I mean Disney is not some stupid company; they're making billions of dollars cause they're great at marketing. They're not dumb enough to tamper with the actual comic book side of Marvel simply because that is not their territory. From this deal I see many more video games, movies, shows, and toys coming along. Disney has a movie come out every month or so and each one gets a pretty fun game too so I see this as a positive since they will definitely want to use Marvel characters now. Besides Disney isn't completely into the age appropriate theme. They OWN ABC and ESPN and those networks run some things inappropriate for certain age groups. They could so whip together a live action X-Men show to compete with NBC's Heroes. Disney likes to give their shows like 48353545355435354 episodes per season so the cartoons are going to feature more episodes. They also don't wait for special occasions, like movie releases, to put together a new video game so I see more marvel characters getting games a lot more frequently. And I'll admit some will probably be kiddy but not all. If you do some research you will be VERY surprised on what Disney releases, they just never directly put THEIR stamp on it. Marvel is in great hands, by next year I'm sure Marvel will be buzzing with various new products that we will all love!

This makes me very nervous. Disney has a nasty habit of turning things into asexual morally righteous tweenies boppers. And a even nastier habit of getting rid of everything that is not in that mold. If they start to mess up the x-men then im going to be mounting a mouse head on my well very soon.

August 31, 2009, 08:46PM #27 Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:09PM by Nowhere Man
I really think these are great news. you guys have such an stereotypical view of disney. the reality is that the current CEO of disney - Bob Iger - was given by the disney board the job of making disney a good name again and respecting the artistic freedom of the artists. Disney bought Pixar a few years back and they're doing great together. one of the reasons why disney bought pixar was because it had lost all the integrity in their movies because of studio interference. The Eisner era was financially great. in 20 years he incrased disney's value in 4000%. If disney was still such a yuppie company they would have never fired eisner.

BUT Roy Disney Jr. (walt's nephew)& co didn't want disney to be just a company, as they thought of disney as being so much more than that. that's why they hired iger and he's been doing a fantastic job at getting disney's "soul" back. they bought pixar so that they could use their know-how to make good movies with great messages and artistic integrity and now they're using this know-how to go back to tradicional 2-D animation (the frog princess and rapunzel seem like they're gonna be great!). John Lassater became the head of the entire animation department (2 and 3d) and he's an animation genious. Iger also improved the working conditions at the parks and increased the workers salaries in general well above inflation.

to be honest, I think the last time the world had such a great duo (an artist and an entrepreneur) was Walt and Roy Disney, and look what they have accomplished together.

several good news for the future:

- the quality of the cartoons will increase.
- imagine that marvel can have an animated universe and all the characters can have crossovers all the time and live in the same planet with the same rules.
- the movies can come out a lot faster cause there's a 55 billion company to back them up.
- instead of a few rides in the universal parks, marvel will very likely have a theme park of its own inside Disneyworld.
- the action figures will be better too, cause disney definitly know how to make toys.
- marvel will have a distributor for all their movies without spending a single penny.
- no delays in comics distribution, they will always have means to release everything in time.

this is good news people. don't worry, you won't see a crossover between uncle scrooge and tony stark or captain boing with captain america. at least not as long as iger is the ceo, marvel is in good hands. well, maybe howard the duck would be a great adult parody to the disney characters ^^.

just imagine how warner/dc is feeling right now. marvel alone while public was beating the crap out of DC in almost every way with a lot less money, now that they have disney on their side...wow!

and remember people, disney is not just about cartoons, they own miramax, touchstone, the history channel, abc and espn (like angel mentioned). they have already claimed that they don't plan to change marvel to be more disney-like. after all, marvel was doing pretty well on its own, they don't want to change it, they just want to make this profit pizza bigger and then take a huge slice.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

My worry is nothing comes without a price, especially when disney is involved. My question is what is the price marvel will have to pay?

30 dolars plus 0.745 share of walt disney inc to every shareholder of Marvel...not a bad deal at all =P

man, now that marvel bought marvelman and DC lost the rights to superman's origin...marvel's gonna kick ass!
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."