Wii/PS2 (n-Space's version) talk and Official News

Started by Teancum, September 10, 2009, 05:23AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, the new scientist models are fun to look at. But their voiceovers are hideously falling into the "voices recorded by professional programmers" category for which Russian pirated games were legendary when our pirates decided they could (and should) re-dub the games they pirated into Russian.
Heck, the same goes for all the non-Nick-Fury voices in the Rykers/Negative Zone act.
Once Goliath fell, the whole thing started feeling like a fangame in the worst possible sense, there are bossfights with no banter, there are illogical absences of exposition (f.e. the Thor-Clone storyline was obviously dropped to make Thor playable, but his killing Goliath is somehow cut TOO, etc., etc.) and there are virtually no unique mooks. Seriously, the only time I saw mooks with extra abilities that were not generic for a specific group of mooks (namely, the Altered Genetics trait, or the Increased Speed trait - only saw these two! Where did Regeneration, Increased Damage, XXX Resistant, Vulnerable to XXX (which appears ONLY in the combo tutorial), etc. go?) was in Castle Doom. That's the Prologue, yes, and I'm near the end of Act 3 now.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I've gone up to Wakanda but I have no intention of playing and finishing the game for a while.

i have played through you dont have to go much farther

Wakanda is... weird. Yes, finally there are shielded characters (i.e. "use combo XOX to win"), but the partner AI is TOO DUMB TO LIVE REALIZE IT and keeps attacking them with powers, making the Radioactive Man bossfight somewhat of a nuisance.
NPC Black Panther as a teammate is passable (though I weep over his unplayableness, in MUA1 he was badass), and late-stage character progression makes me wonder whether there was ANY playtesting done.

Deadpool is broken (Teleport Flurry, when maxed out, lets him take out a crowd of mooks in two uses... if it manages to LOCK ON to the mooks, as it often ignores bruiser-types completely); Miss Marvel is overpowered (the Prism Beam power, the one copycatted from Cyclops from XML2, is so insanely strong, two non-maxed out shots pound most mooks into very fine powder); Cyclops is so-so (he has no real strong attacks save for the variable radius beam, but it's stronger than Ms Marvel's equivalent and his power-boosting passives are also stronger, so...). Psylocke is a surefire winner on low levels, but is sorta useless on higher levels. Her only saving grace is the insane basic attack damage boosts and crazy dodge chance she gets when you max out her passives. And I only half-wayed them, hoping for her powers to gain at least SOME damage efficiency.

That was my main team for my first playthrough. Other impressions include...

Jean Grey is also so-so. Some of her powers are strong, some are not, her powerset is a weird mixture of powers from OTHER characters, and her TK is now not a power, but an ability (used instead of the charge attack, wow). Iron Man is Iron Man, his MUA1 powerset has been transferred mostly intact (I didn't see a Radiation attack, though).
The Hulk follows his MUA1 version, with the grab-enemy attack and a Rage mechanic that essentialy blows down to a simplistic tactic of Hulk Smash! Yes, it is passable, but something feels wildly off. Still can't figure out what.
Spider-Man is MUA Spider-Man. His powerlist is so constricting, I don't actually enjoy playing as him, weird as it may sound.
Cap is badass. Just like in MUA1, he can easily solo the game - probably one of a precious few characters of this rendition of MUA2 (or maybe I need to make more fiddly builds, I don't know) that can do this.

Stay tuned, folks, I still haven't figured out how to get my hands on any of the Thunderbolts.

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I liked Cap aswell. He is one great Character, but it was boring, that mostly everything was reused. :)

yeah to bad it just felt like new characeters were mods

Yes. Can't wait for the other version, it will be more new to me :)

Wakanda is over (thank goodness, the Man-Ape fight is incredibly drawn-out because of an abundance of mandatory QTEs), and I'm into the Nanite base. This is where the balance dies, apparently. XML2's act 5 provided enemies that were still challenging, the same goes for MUA's act 4. Here, most mooks die after two or three shots of a maxed-out power (granted, I'm using gold boost medals at this point) and bosses need a fusion or two to cut them down to size.

Swapped out Psylocke for Gambit - he does enough megadamage to warrant a need to dispose of her unkillability. His powers are slightly tweaked adaptations of his XML2 powers - the staff attack is ultrastrong, 52 pickup is now a radial attack a-la Deadpool's grenades and his card toss is a tappable shooting spree that barely eats energy, but is apparently the fastest in the whole game and despite its small per-card damage, can mow down enemies in a jiffy with sheer numbers of cards involved. Can't say I like the voice acting though, the XML2 one was way better.

The whole team is around level 52 now, and I'm feeling that it's way too damn easy.

Crimson Dynamo says:

I think the PS2 version were too short and too easy. There isn't any real challenge.

Finished my first playthrough. Fury was surprisingly easy to beat, actually, of the whole Nanite episode, the really difficult stuff was the trivia questions (most of which are so crazy obscure, I was really really confuzzled) and the final hacking sequence (which is a NIGHTMARE and resets if you pause the game to visit the loo or scratch your nose). Um, yeah.

Crimson Dynamo says:

If you would have to give a score to this version between 1 and 10, what would you give?

7. I have seen better roguelikes, but by Arioch, I've seen much worse too. It still retains enough fun left over from the original concept to be very playable.

Crimson Dynamo says:

I think the thing with the PS2/PSP/Wii version isn't really the 'core' of the game, but just that it needed a longer development time.  From what I've played it doesn't feel broken, it just doesn't feel polished.  Other than not having multiple costumes to choose from I have no complaints with how the game plays overall, it just needed that extra time to make it great.