Women in Refrigerators

Started by Nox, October 13, 2009, 11:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Those familiar with comics probably already know this concept, those that don't, go here:

http://www.comicvine.com/women-in-refrigerators/12-43763/

Anyway, I was reading Ultimate Spider-Man and just finished the Carnage arc, and guess what?Gwen's dead, again.
She's like a poster child for this concept and one of the few characters that stay dead.
What's your opinion on this, do comics need this concept or not?

Well personally I like to keep my milk and lunch meat in the fridge but that's just me.  I haven't thought of putting my girlfriend in there, but now that you mention it...
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

If I would've done that to my girlfriend, her haters finally would call her cool. Though a fridge might cool her off when she's angry at me. Sometimes she can be cold.

Pun intended.

I know the concept, though I think it's unfair, specially in Marvel comics. they're not getting treated differently than men. ALL kinds characters die frequently and have a lot of tragedy on their lives in the comics or fall by the wayside for years. It's not just women.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 13, 2009, 04:24PM
I know the concept, though I think it's unfair, specially in Marvel comics. they're not getting treated differently than men.

So, you want females to get treated differently? I thought people always wanted guys and gals to be treated equally. :P

QuoteALL kinds characters die frequently and have a lot of tragedy on their lives in the comics or fall by the wayside for years. It's not just women.

I think too many comic characters have died and come back from the dead too easily nowadays.

What I meant is that the concept of women in refrigerators is unfair cause they are being treated just like men. The correct term would be PEOPLE in refrigerators =P That's the unfair part.

and agreed on the deaths and ressurection thing. it's like I said here http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3061.0

That's true, Marvel does tend to keep things even, which is why this whole concept came from DC, Green Lantern if I remember right.
Can you name many of Men in Refrigerators though?
True, there's more male hero comics so it's only natural that this concept would be about women.

sure I can name hundreds of men in refrigerators, but I'm gonna do just 5 as examples:

Bucky: died, memory erased, manipulated into being an assassin, ressurected after 40 years in limbo.

Cyclops: died, girlfriend died countless times, merged with Apocalypse, came back unemotional.

Spider-Man: Parents died, uncle died, girlfriend died (partially his fault), marriage erased from reality, cloned twice. tricked into thinking he was a clone. lost unborn child.

Vision: lost his children, was destroyed several times, struggles with apathy, died, came back as another vision and nobody seems do care, wife gone insane.

Hawkeye: wife died, he died, was ressurected, died again in the following month and ressurected yet again the month after that.

Seriously, I could go on forever.

Agreed. My top 5 women who have badly been twisted

Rogue - can't touch anyone, betrayed by mystique and shot by her, power changes often

Jean - died too many times, husband cheated on her, replaced by cosmic entity (although she is that cosmic entity now), power changes, framed for killing billions

Wanda - nervous breakdown, insanity caused her to kill her friends and husband, father used her, powers out of control, children who are not real

Psylocke - power switches, lost eyes, raped, mauled by Sabretooth, deaths, kidnapped and brainwashed and the X-Men don't care even though they know about it, body switch

Mockingbird - raped, husband takes rapist's side, replaced by skrulls

I'd give honorable mentions to Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, and Elektra

Rogue also got raped.

@Nowhere Man: heh, do you notice something there m8?

Cyclops: girlfriend died countless times

Spider-Man: girlfriend died (partially his fault)

Vision:  wife gone insane.

Hawkeye: wife died

Seems all the guys on your list had women in refrigerators.Save for Bucky, but he's most likely gay anyway.

well, same thing could be said the other way around:

jean: husband died

mockingbird: husband died

scarlet witch: husband destroyed, boyfriend died

shadowcat: boyfriend died

sharon carter: boyfriend died

vindicator: husband died

everybody dies in comics, there's no preference for women. as far as I know, every character of both marvel and DC are in refrigerators.

That's a doubtful assertion - her de-powered stint in Genoshan jail (waaay back when it was still a racist haven) had several implied rapes, which was the actual reason for Ms Marvel's personality surfacing in her and effecting her joint escape with Wolverine.
"I'm Patch, she's Ace and we're blowing this joint!"
Then again, Ms Marvel's vague reference as to why SHE'S in control may have simply meant Rogue was manhandled and beaten, something she also hadn't had to experience in a looooong time.
Don't forget about her stuck-in-crazy-drug-parellel-whatchamacallit biological parents.

Deadpool died three times, his ex-girlfriend took his appearance and beat up his then-girlfriend, leaving him scorned by the X-Men ever since, said ex later died on his hands bleeding to death courtesy of Sabertooth, he lost his powers several times, lost his mind more than usual several times, had a crazy killer take the appearance of aforementioned then-not-yet-girlfriend and have sex with him , revealing this to him only afterwards... There's a reason this guy's crazy seven ways to Sunday even if you DON'T include his relationship with Death and Thanos and Killebrew. And if you DO...

Doug Ramsey and Warlock also went through a funny ordeal, what with their deaths and joint resurrection as a new entity that shared their memories and appearances and thought for a while he was one despite being the other (until an Uncanny Valley-style visit to Doug Ramsey's GRAVE with Shadowcat, which left her throwing up all over the cemetery).

Karma, on the other hand, is a walking refrigerator. Killed her twin brother, is a lesbian mutant (double ostracism, yay!), has two younger siblings to take care of, who were abducted several times, one of which ended with Spiral TURNING THEM INTO KILLER CYBERNETIC MONSTERS.

Spiral, who exists in a crazy timeloop of having effected her own transformation into Spiral. Seriously, look at her origin.

Remember Xavier, with all his deaths and resurrections, being betrayed and betraying others himself. He's the epicentre of half the fridge incidents mutantity has ever had! Magneto is responsible for half of the remaining half, what with his own monstrous biography that ranges from Auschwitz to living alone in a dead city ON SEVERAL SEPARATE OCCASIONS for UP TO SEVERAL YEARS AT A TIME because he was depowered/shamed/exiled/marooned/take your pick. Don't even try to remember that he, too, was cloned and no good came out of it for both him and Rogue and their weird weird love.

Kylun the Barbarian is also a notable male example, by the way.

I could go on for hours with this =)

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Good post, you'll forgive me for skipping Deadpool I have yet to read the comics, didn't want spoilers.
I wonder though, if you made a top 5 People in Refrigerators, how many would be men and who would be no.1?

Mister Immortal has had at least 18 rather gruesome deaths and he keeps on coming back in a bad mood. His girlfriend, Dinah Soar, was also killed.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.