Settings to lock characters

Started by fox456, January 20, 2010, 09:36PM

Previous topic - Next topic
To try something different, I decided I wanted to lock some of the characters so that I wouldn't know all of them that I was going to be able to use during the game.  I was under the impression that deleting the settings.dat file in the Save folder would reset the game so some characters would once again be locked.  So, I deleted it and started a new game with 27 randomly selected characters (through Heroselect).

When I started playing, the Stepford Cuckoos were TWO of my heroes, along with Captain America and Spider-Man.  The Cuckoos just stood around in a T-formation and also had no icons.  If I clicked on the area where their "heads" should be to select a hero, I could get access to them but do nothing with them.  Captain America seemed unusually strong and Spidey was normal.

Then, when I got to the first opportunity to change the team, I found that I only had 5 characters available.  Elektra, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Colossus and Cyclops.

Seems like some weird things were going on but maybe there are explanations.  My main question right now is this:

Is it possible to unlock 22 characters?  If so, how?
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927

You'd need to add every character you want to unlock to all the scripts that are associated with the specific point at which you want to unlock them. I don't really know the specifics though - just that scripts are involved.

The thing with the Cuckoos means that Thor and Wolverine weren't in your team so they were replaced with the Default which is always the first herostat entry. You'd have to edit the charinfo file (I think) with the characters you want to start with.
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

Thanks for the reply.  That sounds quite complex.  I thought if I simply deleted my old settings.dat file that the game would be "reset" -- meaning that there would be 7 (I think) slots that would be locked to begin the game (Daredevil, Black Panter, Silver Surfer, Blade, Dr. Strange, etc.).  I could then unlock these same slots once I collected the required Daredevil statues or freed Blade, etc.  I assumed that the hero who now took Daredevil or Blade or whomever's slot due to their  random "Heroselection" placement would appear as unlocked.  I guess it wasn't that simple!
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927