Cyclops [ Icons added, *BUG FIX* Last Update: January 05, 2007 ]

Started by Charlie_Murphy, December 23, 2006, 06:43PM

Previous topic - Next topic
------------------------------------------
Update: January 05, 2007

Main files needed to play as Cyclops:
http://www.box.net/public/q87mij9v76

Updat to ps_cyclops.engb file(credit BliZZ)
http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=70ee5ec997277f83384a15445999817f

The above causes has a bug that crashes the game if you select Ironmans 2nd outfit. Here is a file that fixes that bug (updated herostat.engb):
http://www.box.net/public/rus6i0p69y

Icons for the power menu:
http://www.box.net/public/sye3ma3u0n
copy file to:
\Program Files\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\textures\ui

If I'm not a lazy bastard, I may put all those links into one zip file :P

------------------------------------------

Original Post:

Hello all.

I'm new to the whole modding thing but I've been working on my own Cyclops mod the past few hours. I should make a thread and keep it updated with my progress.

At the moment, I'm working on his moveset - importing stats from XML2 files.

These are the moves I am giving him:
- A "normal" beam
- A wide beam with knockback
- Radial beam move (shoots floor, beam spreads in circle), causes stun
- A melee throwing move (import from Nick fury).
- Boost 1 - uses combat knowledge to organize allies, decreasing damage taken
- Boost 2 - uses combat tactics to increase all stats
- Optic Rage (Extreme)

All are imported from XML2 files, except nick furys move of course.

At the moment, most moves "work". I'm having trouble with the boosts activating, and some animations don't match the move.

From another thread :-
Quote from: darkmythology on December 20, 2006, 10:17PM
I haven't had any success getting the beams to come out of the visor. They all seem to originate outside the body. I have no earthly clue how to alter that. Hopefully one of the other modders can help.

I got the beams coming out of his head. The following line should be under "trigger" {}

beambolt = Bip01 Head ;

Quote from: Charlie_Murphy on December 23, 2006, 06:43PM
These are the moves I am giving him:
- A "normal" beam
- A wide beam with knockback
- Radial beam move (shoots floor, beam spreads in circle), causes stun
- A melee throwing move (import from Nick fury).
- Boost 1 - uses combat knowledge to organize allies, decreasing damage taken
- Boost 2 - uses combat tactics to increase all stats
- Optic Rage (Extreme)

If I might make a suggestion: add a fifth move in, his Split into three beams beam, similar to Ms Marvel's Prism. It might even be easier to use her Prism and change the sprites, as the numbers all work. But, barring that, great work!!

And as far as his costumes go, darkmythology made an 'Ultimate'; tommyboy made an 'Original' and a Jim Lee era (which should be called 'Classic'). So that means we just to need to unscramble the XML2 'Astonishing' skin, and we have our four costumes.
The only problem as far as costumes go is the lack of a mannequin. Maybe, if we ask real nice, tommyboy will re-release his Jim Lee costume sans black spots and with a simple animation, so he can be a mannequin.

December 23, 2006, 08:47PM #2 Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:11PM by Charlie_Murphy
Great suggestion. I'll try and import his splitting beam from XML2. Theres one problem with that though - it is an 'extension' of his piercing beam, which means I will need to import both the piercing beam, and the splitting beam. I could make the piercing beam power-1 in place of his 'stock' optic beam, since both moves pretty much look the same.

I'll check out those skins once I get the moves working. Thanks again.

UPDATE: I got his tactics boost working. Unfortunately damage seems to be tripled when the boost is active. I have a bit of work to do.  :o

UPDATE2: Good news. Tactics Boost now increases the defense stat. Thus decreasing damage taken by the team. Only a couple moves to 'fix', then get the correct animations. The rest is up to the skinners.

awesome, please do. Cyclops is my favorite.  :) oh, are you doing the mod as an overwrite or as a stand alone character?

Quote from: spectre_lance151 on December 23, 2006, 09:09PM
awesome, please do. Cyclops is my favorite.  :) oh, are you doing the mod as an overwrite or as a stand alone character?

At the moment it is an overwrite. When I figure out how to add extra characters I will do so. I just want to get all the moves functioning correctly before I try anything else.

What passives do you guys think I should use for his 4 outfits? At the moment it is something along the lines of:

Ultimate
+-- max energy
+-- max health
+-- defense

Classic
+-- Visor Upgrade (increase beam damage)
+-- leadership (combo damage & XP)
+-- defense

Astonishing
+-- experience (increases rate of XP gained)
+-- critical hit?
+-- defense

X-Factor or Age of Apocalypse?
+-- ??
+-- ??
+-- defense

??? ???

December 23, 2006, 09:19PM #5 Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:33PM by BliZZ
Quote from: Charlie_Murphy on December 23, 2006, 08:47PMThe rest is up to the skinners.
Actually, as I already stated, 3 out of 4 are done. All that one needs to do is convert the RGB 'Astonishing' skin to 'BGR'. There was an explanation somewhere on the forums, I'll try to find it.

And, links to the other three Cyclopses (Cyclopi?)

Original:
http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=545d18d7ec2e598d5dbbc309b1a51540

Classic:
http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=d9226f84178c8068c89a61d5ef804c05

Ultimate:
http://www.box.net/public/jf9zmqpm9g

As I stated in my first post, tommyboy made the first two and darkmythology the last one.

EDIT: For Cylops' costumes: Give Astonishing '+ Bleed damage chance to all beam attacks 'and 'melee damage'; and make the 4th one 'Original' with Energy Regen. and critical beam

Ugh sorry I didn't see that. Brain is fried from all the modding.

Thanks for that, and thanks tommyboy and darkmythology.

Here's an updated Cyclops skin I made, based off of the Ultimate Cyclops from earlier (which was in turn made from the dark cyclops skin). It's based off of the colouring of the 90's Cyclops costume, and does a pretty effective job of getting the point across aside from the tubings being not wholly authentic. It has the advantage of the bump-mapping, etc, from the MUA skins. It needs a little refinement, but it's not bad for about a 1/2 hours work.

http://www.box.net/public/lvrux8vsai

Update: After tearing some hair out of my head trying to figure out why my animations aren't matching my moves, I decided to try darkmythology's mod in this thread. I then replaced his move files (cyclops.engb & ps_cyclops.engb) with my own files.

Here is the result:

Getting very close to the final product now. Hopefully other XML2 characters will be much easier.  8)

Quote from: darkmythology on December 24, 2006, 12:05AM
Here's an updated Cyclops skin I made, based off of the Ultimate Cyclops from earlier (which was in turn made from the dark cyclops skin). It's based off of the colouring of the 90's Cyclops costume, and does a pretty effective job of getting the point across aside from the tubings being not wholly authentic. It has the advantage of the bump-mapping, etc, from the MUA skins. It needs a little refinement, but it's not bad for about a 1/2 hours work.

http://www.box.net/public/lvrux8vsai

Very nice work. It looks great!

Is he his own character or does he still replace Iceman?

Cyclops can definitely use Point Blank. not many characters have an outfit that will boost damage twice--maybe do something like Point Blank and Visor Upgrade for a great combo.

Any way this is compatible with the Ronin/Hawkeye mod?

December 27, 2006, 05:13PM #12 Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 05:17PM by Charlie_Murphy
Quote from: boreman on December 27, 2006, 02:11PM
Any way this is compatible with the Ronin/Hawkeye mod?

Might have to do with the entries in the herostat file. If so, it can easily be fixed.

Quote from: BliZZ on December 27, 2006, 07:39AM
Is he his own character or does he still replace Iceman?

Unfortunately it is a replacement at this point, as I expanded on Darkmythologys mod in the other Cyclops thread. I don't know how to fix that problem yet. I will read through the Extra Slots thread and see what I can do about this.

Quote from: kfcrispy on December 27, 2006, 10:25AM
Cyclops can definitely use Point Blank. not many characters have an outfit that will boost damage twice--maybe do something like Point Blank and Visor Upgrade for a great combo.

That will make the game too easy though :D

------

I also noticed that his energy costs are a little high compared to other characters. Especially in the early levels. I will fix that and post a new talents file later in the day.

I was actually able to give Cyclops his own separate set, then replace fury with him. I just went through all the packages and all the filenames and replaced every instance of '08' with '204'. Yes, it was tedious, and yes, it took a WHILE. I can up it if someone wants it. The only problem I have is the icons weren't inclded in that pack. Did anyone make a pack of Cyclops icon (including namebar), or should I get to work on one?

You should work on one as I haven't heard of any progress in that direction. Don't forget to ask dark, as he's also been working in this direction, he might've done this but not yet mentioned it.

I would figure this'd be easy, using a MUA char's iconlist as base and just pasting in and resizing the pics to fit. You can use the XML2 load screens for the namebar too.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.