PSP - Gambit mod help!!

Started by KaiserBreath, June 16, 2007, 10:26PM

Previous topic - Next topic
what do you mean? Anyway I can help?

Basically the PSP is using some special format for animations and models.  So I need the PSP XML2 version of Gambit (or whatever you guys were using that worked earlier) so that I can build a proper PSP-specific version.  Actually, I probably just need the PSP Gambit models, but whatever you can do (they would be under gambit_1301.fb, etc).

Excellent.  Be thinking of other XML2 characters you'd like to put in MUA as well.  Any of them that were on PSP (besides the PSP exclusives, they don't work on PC so there's never been a really good mod done).

Mods have been done for the following characters, so they'll be much easier:
-Juggernaut
-Cyclops
-Jubilee (only one skin is available however)
-Beast
-Magneto
-Sunfire
-Scarlet Witch

For now just plan on putting one of those characters in.

wow. lets try on gambit first.

Teancum -

I have a copy of the PSP version of XML2, so if there is anything specific from that version we need for this process just let me know and I'll upload it.

I agree with Kaiser - we need to get Gambit nailed first, once we figure out the quirks with him the others should be cake to import once we get the bugs worked out.

Isn't there a Psylocke done as well that wasn't on the list?

If so I'd like to load her next after Gambit and then either Beast, Cyclops or Sunfire. 

Yeah, Psylocke was done, but what matters is that we have four PSP skins for a character.  So technically only Cyclops, Magneto & Juggernaut would work.  Everyone else have too few skins. 

Choosing between Cyclops, Mangeto and Juggernaut I'd personally choose Juggy.  Why?  He'd be a PSP exclusive character.  360 has Cyc and Magneto.  Having another PSP exclusive would get more downloads to your mod.

Makes sense :)  But I thought the Psylocke one had 4 skins or were they still working on a 4th?

Any updates on the Gambit files you got earlier - if you need me to check anything out or work on a specific section - please let me know.

There's lots of skins for Psylocke, but only PSP models/skins work on the PSP.  It has a really weird texture format and nobody knows how to crack it.  That's why we have to stick to characters that are in XML2 and have 4 skins or more.

June 19, 2007, 03:06PM #39 Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:25PM by Teancum
So long as we're talking about it I'd like to explain some console/portable related stuff:

A playable character is defined in two files:  (technically 3, see below)
charactername_####.fb (this is when you're actually controlling the character)
charactername_####_nc.fb (this is for the character select menu only)

(note I'm not trying to make anyone feel dumb, I'm just explaining)
With consoles you'll see files in /packages/generated/powerstyles.  You can ignore them.  The powerstyles are stored in that character's two FB files mentioned above.

charactername_mc_#####.fb are motion capture files for the cutscenes.  You'll probably never need to edit these

charactername_xml.fb and charactername_fightstyles.fb do the same thing, it's just that XML2 uses _xml.fb and MUA uses _fightstyles.fb.  Also, the contents inside were updated/changed for MUA.  These are the characters moves and powers packaged alone, and helps the game remember the powers when you move to a new area of the game.

That being said all I'm really doing is updating the PSP files you gave my by inserting the MUA version of & ps_gambit.engb, talents.engb (both by BliZZ).  Then I'm renaming the _xml package to _fightstyles and updating ps_gambit and talents in there as well.  Oh, and I'm adding more MUA moves.  Basically I'm using the XML2 PSP fbs and just updating and adding what's needed.

Okay, I'm sure that was long, boring and pointless, but now you know. :D

*EDIT*

I also need Iceman's fb from MUA: iceman_0801.fb.  That way I can be sure that I use all PSP stuff to keep anything from crashing.

Thank you for explaining!  I don't know about Kaiser - but I don't know a whole lot on doing mods and just begun literally this week with Colossus, MK and Gambit.

So any information regarding modding is GREATLY appreciated, I know you're not making anyone feel dumb lol - I know that I need to learn a ton and welcome any input.  It would be awesome if a veteran modder has any video footage of them actually modifying files with hex editors so I know what they're doing and can see how they interpret and edit the files.  If that makes sense :P  Especially in regards to you updating Gambit from the _xml.fb to fightstyles.fb for the PSP - seeing how you edit that in a hex editor.

Quick question Teancum on the characters in XML2 w/ four skins.  Are Juggernaut, Cyclops and Magneto the only ones w/ 4?  How many do Rogue, Nightcrawler, Sunfire and Bishop have?  Those would be great to add later on to the PSP as well.

I'll upload that when I get home from work - that is if Kaiser doesn't beat me to it :P

June 19, 2007, 04:08PM #42 Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:13PM by Teancum
Rogue has 3, Sunfire has 3 and Bishop has 3.  Nightcrawler has 5 (I think).  But *if* I built Nightcrawler (which I'm working on) I would make it so you had to rescue him from Mephisto.  You should be able to check though since you have a copy of XML2.  If Cable or Cannonball had four skins I'd almost be willing to do them, but I don't know as I can't find any info on how many skins they had on PSP.

*edit*

Looks like Cable, X-Man and Cannonball only have 3.

Teancum,

Here is the iceman file you requested - sorry it took me longer than expected to upload, wife and I had to run a few errands after work tonight.

Let me know if you need anything else for Gambit or any of the other XML2 characters from the PSP ISO.

iceman_0801.fb link:  http://www.mediafire.com/?1drn0ehybte

Thanks, should get to work on it tomorrow and Thursday night.