Overrated and Underrated x-men characters.

Started by tman97, August 18, 2012, 12:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 18, 2012, 12:29PM Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:04PM by tman97
EVERYONE! Make a list of characters who you believe are overrated and some characters who deserve to be in the spotlight more often....

Here are mine

Overrated:

- Wolverine
- Cyclops
- Jean Grey
- Pyro
- Nightcrawler
- Gambit
- Shadowcat
- Colossus
- Magneto
- Havok

Underrated:

- Pixie
- Hellion
- Husk
- Magma
- Morph
- Blink
- Iceman
- Marrow
- Darwin
- Northstar
- The Vanisher
- X-Man

Overrated:

1) Wolverine
2) Jean Grey
3) Hope
4) Storm
5) Rogue

Underrated:

1) Cypher
2) Iceman
3) Husk
4) Elixir
5) Hellion
Please do not contact me for any help in modding-related matters.
It is likely that you'll find what you need by searching the forum.

Overrated:
1. Wolverine
2. Jean Grey
3. Storm
4. Emma Frost
5. Shadowcat

Underrated:
1. Iceman
2. Northstar
3. Polaris
4. Cannonball
5. Colossus
6. Warpath
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927

Overrated:
1. Phoenix
2. Jean Grey
3. Dark Phoenix
4. Dark Jean Grey
5. Jean Grey as Phoenix

Underrated:
1. Apocalypse

Idk I don't read comics.

Overrated:
1) Phoenix: Overplayed plot device. Just let Rachel keep it or something simple like that :p
2) Wolverine: He's one of marvel's flagship characters but he kind of just shows up a bit too much for my tastes
3) Cyclops: what the hell is he even doing alive anymore? He's way too outdated and gotten way to boring of a character. He's turned into the new Professor X/Magneto.
4) Generation Hope: Hope herself is fine but I didn't really get her team. Their powers are weird and gimmicky and the characters themselves are overplayed caricatures of overplayed caricatures.

Underrated:
1) Jean Grey: Phoenix is a big NO, but Jean herself is a pretty damn interesting character that gets way too much Chocolate egg for being used as a Phoenixy-avatar-whatever-the-fuck. That's why I'm excited that they're reintroducing her as a pre-phoenix teenager with this All-New X-Men deal.
3) Hellion: He needs to stop being the guy writers go to for taking Chocolate egg. And he need's to be shown as something more than just a bully/minor rabble-rouser.
4) Young Loki: He's a really interesting character and I don't get why so many people complain about him. Plus he wore a V mask AND he's super adorable!
5) Magneto: He's been getting more attention but somebody just needs to make him king of the mutants already. He's possibly one of the coolest reformed villains out there ^-^
6) Maggot! loljkno.

Overated:
1. Wolverine
2. Wolverine
3. Wolverine
4... I think you get the point. Plus, he annoys me cause you see him everywhere and on everything -_- (Like he's the X-Men leader or somethin, do these people realize how many X-Men there are!? Seriously... Lets grow a brain, shall we?)

Underrated:
1. X-Man (I know he's had his own comic, he's come back from the dead, blah blah blah, but I personally feel he should have more of a story, especially now.)
2. Banshee (I just love him, I think it's the whole being Irish thing, and same with him as X-Man.)
3. Iceman (I know he's been with the X-Men and he's always on every page, pretty much, but I'd like to see his own story in his own comic.)
4. Northstar (cause I think they can do more with him on his own story as well)
5.   >_>    <_<    Rogue...(Yes I said it, i don't care, it's my girl and I don't want them to stop giving her the spotlight :P lol.)

August 20, 2012, 12:52PM #6 Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:14PM by MarvelFan12345
Overrated
1) Phoenix - everywhere....unfortunately. Writers feel like they can take a piece of the pie called the Dark Phoenix Saga, by introducing new storylines but honestly it just makes continuity more convoluted. The original story barely has any emotion to it anymore. Avengers vs X-Men is an awful event and honestly the only productive thing coming out of it, is the annullment of Ororo and T'Challa's marriage. Otherwise the event is completely one-sided and definitely pointed to the Avengers as coming out as the main heroes. The few respectable X-Heroes (like Storm for example) have already defected. Only the major players of the X-Men, who fans have been waiting for to get thrown off their pedastal, are left :D The Phoenix is just there to provide rhyme and reason for this clash.

2) Wolverine - does anyone really even need to point him out? He's been the major player of the X-Men for years and the films only magnified his presence by about 10 XD. Wolverine and the X-Men indeed.

3) Cyclops - has anyone actually liked him in recent years? If so, I have no more business to discuss with you ;) Honestly I've seen fans everywhere clamoring for his downfall, exile, or death. He's become the new Magneto and not even an interesting one at that. Unfortunately it looks like he will survive AvX but from the looks of it, very few people in the MU will be happy about this. The writers of Marvel seem to love him so I'm still expecting him to be a major player in the MU (they already clarified this with the first Marvel NOW! poster) but at least he won't be all high and mighty amongst everyone else.

4) Emma Frost - honestly this cow needs to just be put down. She's been everywhere and while she has some good points, the writers only like her because she's their personal sex toy. Notice how the vixens of the MU seem to rule the female ground. Luckily Emma looks like she's about to be toppled from her "throne" and so far, unlike Cyclops, it doesn't seem like she will have a cushion to fall on. Most seem to believe she will be the final casualty in AvX. I certainly hope so but I don't want to jinx it especially with Professor X as a likely candidate. It's been hard to like her in recent years and I do think that a break would be good for her.

5) Namor - another character who has hardly done anything in the MU despite his connections and status. Yet he joins the X-Men and suddenly pops up everywhere! How many people even care for this character? Wasn't his series cancelled after a couple of issues? Haven't seem anything of him in AvX either so here's hoping! Honestly each of the Phoenix Five need a bullet in their head.

Underrated
1) Jean Grey - pretty much everything the others have been saying. Nuff said...

2) Elixir - this guy has been in writer's limbo since Necrosha. No one has heard of him or mentioned him since. I can understand why because he's a solution to pretty much every problem, hence why he's constantly fainting or getting knocked out (he gives TAS Jean a run for her money!) Still, he has potential imo.

3) Polaris - she's constantly getting pushed over for Magneto or Havok. And the writers have no interest in her except as a temporary replacement for Jean Grey or the Scarlet Witch. I agree that she certainly has many similarities but she also has a LOT of material that could be worked with. She's being wasted as a character.

4) Iceman - I'm not so sure about putting Iceman in here. He's been an important character in Wolverine and the X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. Not to mention him "unlocking" his potential, so-to-say, and "relationship" with Kitty Pryde. The writers have him started off, they just need to keep working on him and he's good to go.

5) New/Young X-Men - they hardly have a role anymore. WATXM uses a select few of these characters (Idie, Quentin, Broo, Kid Gladiator) but most of the "classic" new generation of X-Men have been reduced to wallpaper, if even that. I feel like they need to either be relevant again or killed off.

6) Magma - she hardly matters, even in the New Mutants, which is saying something. Everytime New Mutants gets a "shake-up," most people have this feeling Magma will be killed off since she hasn't done anything relevant and probably never will. Not to mention her powerset is one of the most redundant in the MU (behind the flying brick)

Overrated:
1. Wolverine
2. Emma
3. Phoenix
4. Cyclops
5. Hope

Underrated:
1. Sabretooth ( I haven't seen much of him )
2. Polaris
3. Jean Grey ( I agree with DeeDooo, I like how they are bringing the old Jean back )
4. Banshee/Siryn
5. Magma

August 20, 2012, 05:41PM #8 Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:44PM by midnightphoenix123
Overrated:
Wolverine, he is everywhere, and it gets kind of annoying.
Cyclops, he pops up all the time, and seems to think he knows what is best for the X-Men.
Emma Frost, she has become far to overrated, and is quit the annoyance now.
Namor, I feel like he was a character that never really seemed to pop up much any more, and now he is all over the place and getting all up on Emma.
The Phoenix Force, no Jean Grey, the phoenix force. It was so simple when it first possessed Jean Grey, then it just kept coming back, and it totally destroyed Jean Grey as a character (I believe) Now all of the sudden anybody can just get the Phoenix out of the blew, and every time it shows up it wrecks havoc and you know if Jean is involved with it's return it means bad news for Jean and everyone else, and the whole Phoenix plot is just so overused. Either give it to Jean and leave it simple, no craziness, or just get rid of it. And no getting rid of it for it to turn up again some time down the road, unless the write knows what they are doing.

Underrated:
Jean Grey I say this because she doesn't even appear in the comics any more. The only reason she is "overrated" is because of, no offence, the annoying fans. I love Jean, but I don't whine and complain every time anything comes out suggesting a character will be returning and its not her, a lot of Jean fans just seriously go out of control and bash the writers every chance they get. She is finally coming back in over how many years.
Shadowcat, she is one of my favorite characters, and I think she really doesn't get to shine very much any more. And any time she does shine its like for short bursts of extremely craziness, and then she loses her touch again.
Storm, she hasn't really been around as much as she used to be either, and could really take over the X-Men and show them some new light.
And then the obvious people who don't really appear to much, blah blah blah.

MY SKINS                                                                                               MY MODS

Overated
WOVERINE!!! Do I really need to explain??
Phoenix Force: They gave it to Jean, Maddie, Rachel, Emma, Hope, Professor X, did I forget anyone? Well, it was awesome untill the end of the dark phoenix saga. Then they just started ressurecting and killing Jean because of this annoying firebird. Not to say that now the writters think: "Ok, this character has nothing to do here. I think I'll make him the next host of the Phoenix!" Oh, please!
Hope Summers: The newest copy of Jean. C'mon, if you want Jean back, ressurect her and don't kill her anymore! We are tired of her clones! Not to say that besides the Phoenix, she can copy every mutant power on the plannet. Is she marvel's Superman??
Cyclops: he was one of my favorite characters and now, he's the new Magneto/Professor X, In my opinion he's becoming a villain, not a hero anymore.
Magneto: I don't know if he is overrated, it's just that I much preffer him as a villain.

Underrated:
Jean: I'd love to see her again. And she doesn't even appear on teh comics anymore. She's the only one of the first Class who's dead.
Scarlett Witch
Psylocke
Polaris
Storm

I am not going to speak about comics cuz I read very little comics so I am gonna focus on the entertainment department of Marvel...

OVERRATED!!!

1. Do I even need to say? Wolverine ofc! I must be honest to say that I like him especially in games hes always on my team... but come on I get it that Marvel makes good money from him but I think I had just about enough of him like everybody else! There are tons of!!!

2. Storm. Althou she deserves more shes put everywhere and basically just stands there whit a line or 2, if she would use her tounge and do something she would definitely not be on this list but since shes just there doing nothing then STOP USING HER! She used to be my fave char now I am like yea Wolverine and Storm we get it Hes all awesome she is silent.....

3. Phoenix. I never liked her tbh I loved Jean before I knew she was the Phoenix she was my fave char untill I discovered something that made me hate her but thats not for the forum xD. But phoenix story line is getting overly boring nowdays when I see an X-MEN Show before even watching it if I see Wolverine I know there is going to be something about his past, Rogue something about her powers and Jean ofc shes at one point becoming the Phoenix... and I am sick of it

4. Prof X. Just 1 thing die already I hate u I dont wanna see ur boldness ever ever again!

5. Magneto. We get it ur uber powerfull move along, go to ur Genosha and play pretend king there idc.

underrated.

1. Emma Frost. I like her and shes an interesting character I want more of her, not just shes an anti hero with double standards!

2. Psylocke. To me Psylocke has big potential to be one of the most popular characters of the Century I am sad that when I type Psylocke on google images I only get her pics from the 90's she rox and she needs to be explored more.

3. Pixie. I like her I want her!!!

4. Jean Grey. Famke made her awesome in 1st 2 movies but it would be cool to see once again Evolution Jean somewhere not just some weak pathetic excuse whos obviously on the team because ppl are doing that thing when they see her!!!

5. Polaris. definetly needs to be more put on the screen she is awesome!

Overrated:

1. Wolverine (i'm tired of seeing him)

2. Cyclops (i just don't like him, let Storm lead again)

3. Emma Frost (can't except her being an X-Man, she's no replacement for Jean)

4. Gambit (has made it to way to much media outside the comics, while characters like Banshee, Quick Silver or Polaris still struggle in those areas... especially games)

5. Deadpool (yeah, i know he's everybodies favorite... i just don't know why?)

Underrated:

1. Colossus (with this guys honor bound characteristic's, awesome look & amazing mutant/Juggernaut abilities... i'm really surprised he's not the new poster boy of Marvel's X-Men yet?)

2. Polaris (she has so much potential but is hardly ever focused on)

3. Banshee (this man gets NO luv... well, maybe by Moira) no focus in the comics... in just 1 film

4. Dazzler (what ever happened to her?)

5. Thunderbird (yeah, i said it... how come everybody in the comics can return from death but this guy?)

@ Kano9:

I agree with you about Deadpool.  And regarding Thunderbird, do you think he is overlooked since they sort of  "reincarnated" him with Warpath?
Use this poll to tell everyone where you are from:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg73927.html#msg73927

Reading Deadpool in UXF, I have gained a liking for him but I don't see why there is SO much buzz about him.

I think Warpath is the sole reason Thunderbird hasn't been resurrected. Even Warpath is bit obselete in the X-Universe and hardly looked at anymore so I can't imagine Marvel bringing his brother back. In fact, he was killed because he was considered to similar to other characters like Colossus and Wolverine.

Quote from: fox456 on September 06, 2012, 04:37PM
@ Kano9:

I agree with you about Deadpool.  And regarding Thunderbird, do you think he is overlooked since they sort of  "reincarnated" him with Warpath?

^ Definitely! ... but there is still things that can be done with this character. Let him be resurrected as Darkbird (who now hates those he once cared for) or let him be an apparition only Warpath can see which is slowly taking over his mind... hell, there are all sorts of possibilities.