For those of you that would like to know.....!

Started by cable2099, August 21, 2007, 07:53AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just wanted everyone to know that I have sent several emails to Activision about the DLC for the other platforms. I have been going rounds with them for about three days and it has made me a little tense so if I offended anyone than I apologize. I dont know what good I did but I hope that I did some good. They basically told me that my comments have been noted and will be given to the project head. If this will really happen is unknown. Of course, they did not give me specific answers.

since it may be doubtful that they will release the DLC for other platforms, you could always try to contribute (here or on your own) to make the game more enjoyable. if you arent satisfied with the characters released here you could always try to figure out what would make them better for you, etc.

Unfortunately emails never work.  I've been a PC gamer and modder for 10+ years and have never seen anything come of it.  The thought was good though.  Hopefully you can put that energy to use and pump out some cool mods or something too. :D

Well, one could only hope that the message gets to the devs. All you need is hope and faith. BTW I am not really an artist and my mods would consist of stick figures or just blob patches.:)

See that's the thing: Raven Software is actually really cool about releasing mod tools and assets and stuff.  It's Marvel and Activision that are holding us back.  Raven released tools for Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, the Hexen series, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Quake IV.  If it was up to Raven we'd probably have lots of unused models, (like the New X-Men costumes that never got used), mod tools, etc.  Look at it like a NASCAR team.  You're the driver.  You get to have the fun.  Raven are the mechanics and fabricators.  They fix and create cars.  But Activision (and Marvel in this case) are the team owners.  Only they get to say what sort of features go into your car.  As much as the mechanics might say "doing this will make the car better" it's up to the owners.

Than maybe we should boycott Activision until they get their heads on straight. When they start losing alot money than they will listen to us. We, the consumer, control their fate. They do not control us. We spend our money on their products just to get screwed in the end. This is America for goodness sakes we need to stand up for what we believe in. We just need to ask people to stop buying their products and give them reasons. We have freedom of the press and power of the press also. But I think people are too afraid to want to try to make a difference so they sit down and be silent.

:laola:

Ha. A boycott.

PS: How does freedom of the press correlate to this situation?

August 21, 2007, 01:24PM #7 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:29PM by Teancum
Quote from: cable2099 on August 21, 2007, 12:55PM
Than maybe we should boycott Activision until they get their heads on straight. When they start losing alot money than they will listen to us. We, the consumer, control their fate.

For that kind of boycott to work you'd need a 1/4 of a million people bare minimum, which will never happen.

Face it man, they are here to make games, but the can't put everything in that we want.  1) At some point you've spent to long developing and the project will go over-budget (developers get fined bigtime for this), 2) They leave characters out so that they've got some good main characters in other games, and 3) they only get paid so much money.  Doing stuff like what we want would mean putting in lots of extra hours -- and these guys don't get paid by the hour, they're salary.  So whether you work 40 hours or 70 you get paid the same.  They've got families and lives.  Heck, I feel for em'.

Frankly I'm supremely happy with what we were given.  It's bar none one of the best games of 2006, AND they left us a few 'extras' (models, scripts) as presents in both XML2PC and MUAPC.  They don't owe us a single thing.  Frankly, I think consumers (particularly gamers, as many of them are quite young) have this retarded sense of entitlement.  As if because we bought their game we should get extra stuff.  In reality, extra stuff should cost extra money.  The 'extra stuff' we do here is different, because we're making it.

On top of all of that, I'd never boycott a game.  Being a modder for 10+ years and being project lead in several projects has taught me that even as a hobbyist modder you can't give everyone what they want and still have a life.  You just have to do the best you can then move on to the next project.

These guys want to make the best game out there.  They do.  But there's way to many other influences that you don't understand.  You're painting Activision out to be evil.  They're not.  They've brought us hundreds of amazing games over the years -- Guitar Hero, XML/MUA.  The list goes on.

August 21, 2007, 02:11PM #8 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:14PM by cable2099
I never said that Activision is evil. Besides the ends dont justify the means. I am 32 years old and I also have a family to support. Do you think it is fair that if I want to have more characters that are over the limit of 27 for the actual game that I have to spend $400 on a X-Box ($50 for game, $350 for system) to play those extra characters? I understand you guys here do these mods here but are only limited to the 27 characters and I am sorry but I want to keep all of my characters because I like them. The PC was already screwed out of Colossus and Moon Knight and the bonus missions. If it was not for people understanding how to unlock them than I would never have gotten to play them. Those 2 characters plus the other 8 for the DLC that is 10 characters total that they did not put with the PC. All I am saying is that Activision only cares about the money and not about the love of the games. If we want to put the blame on the DLC lets do it on Microsoft because why was their system the only one for the DLC? Because the 360 is not selling as well as they wanted, so they make a deal with Activision to release 360 only DLC so that us consumers that want to play those extra characters that dont have a X-Box have to buy it to play it and get the extra characters. I could understand if they did for all other platforms and not for the PC but they only did for the 360. So tell me what exactly is fair in this situation? If MUA was only released for the 360 than fine they can release what thy want but they did this to all platforms. I love this game and want the extras, is that too much to ask for? I am not asking for every game just for this one. I can not afford to spend $400 on this game but I guess I will have to if I want to get the extras. If I am wrong than prove me wrong.
           "People lie but the evidence never does!"

August 21, 2007, 02:23PM #9 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:27PM by Teancum
Yeah, I'm 28, supporting a family, going to school, and only make about 20 grand a year.  All I have is my PC and a modded Xbox, where I have my MUA mods.  Can I afford 400 bucks?  No.  But it's no crime that the 360 is the only one to get the DLC.  That's the way the cookie crumbles.  In fact, I 100%, positively, absolutely guarantee that you'll never see the DLC released on any other platforms besides the rare possibility of the Wii and PS3.  That's how business is.  They get paid more money to do exclusive content, all companies do.  I don't worry about it.  I just live without it.

So to be blunt, your $400 whine means nothing.  I don't have the money either.  I just enjoy what I have.

Oh, and (my opinion only), I seriously doubt you're 32.  Adults have much better grammar.

August 21, 2007, 02:30PM #10 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:33PM by cable2099
So basically what your saying is that this country is the way it is and your not going to worry about it and not do anything about it just let it be the way it is. So try telling those people out there trying to make a difference that it is the way the cookie crumbles. So we cant change this country or the fact that we cant change a company's mind? Just sit back and do nothing and that is why your making only 20,000 a year and only 28 years old.I am 32 and making 30,000 a year. Good example!

Please. Stop. The majority of devs do not release mod tools, they will literally laugh at you if you boycott.

And this would NOT be "making a difference".

August 21, 2007, 02:43PM #12 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:47PM by cable2099
They can laugh all they want. I dont care what they think. How many times have people been laughed at for trying to make a difference and then they did make a difference? Can I name examples or does everyone understand what I am saying?

This is not "making a difference".  Making a difference would be helping the homeless, volunteering in some sort of needed manner, etc.  What you're talking about is nothing more than whining about not getting everything you want.  On the 'big deal scale' getting the same content as the Xbox 360 is like number 1,000,000 of 1,000.  If you only make 30,000 you shouldn't be able to get a Xbox 360 and MUA Gold.  At that point you have a family to take care of, so you sacrifice for them.  I don't like being a jerk, but if you're 32 with a family then you need to get your priorities straight.  By your non-contributing, never-satisfied attitude I'd say you need to put your focus back where it should be and forget about petty things like this.

Yes, I said petty.  A man who puts his family first would realize that even though he loves video games stuff like this doesn't matter -->  Leading to the thought that there's no need to "make a difference" with boycotting and crap like that.  I know lots of young husbands and dads, and none of them, even the hardcore gamers, would ever do this.