Templates for XML1, XML2, and MUA (for Mod Creators)

Started by BaconWizard17, July 16, 2019, 08:27AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 16, 2019, 08:27AM Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:28PM by Outsider

Common Template Files for XML2 and MUA

Links to my other projects and releases

These are common templates for different XML1, XML2, and MUA1 files. Files are available in PNG8 and DXT1 textures. Each item describes the preferred version

Download Here!

Necessary blank .dds files for MUAPS2Skinner

• Add these to your MUAPS2Skinner to make sure you can decompile the textures

This pack currently includes:

• Cross-Compatible Conversation HUD/Portrait

• PNG8 format preferred (only use DXT1 for GameCube and Wii)

• No need to RGB-BGR swap for MUA1 PC
    • Works in XML1, XML2, and MUA1
    • 3 sizes:

• Console: 64x64. Ideal for console modding, like PS2, PSP, and GameCube
      • Standard Definition (SD): 128x128. MUA default size, looks good most of the time
      • High Definition (HD): 256x256. Only needed if you're using a very large image
    • For hex editing, the internal number is 11101
    • Includes templates for MUA1 (courtesy of Maegawa) and XML2 (courtesy of BaconWizard17)

• Cross-Compatible Loading Screen (4:3 Aspect Ratio)

• DXT1 format preferred (only use PNG8 for PS2)

• PNG8 Compression is too harsh on large textures
    • Works in XML1, XML2, and MUA1 Consoles

• Will get stretched on MUA1 PC and PSP. Use the 16:9 template for MUA1 PC and PSP
    • 3 sizes:

• Console: 512x512. Ideal for console modding, like PS2, PSP, and GameCube
      • Standard Definition (SD): 1024x1024. MUA default size, looks good most of the time
      • High Definition (HD): 2048x2048. Only needed if you're using a very large image

• No PNG8 HD file, as it was over 4mb in size
    • Includes templates (courtesy of BaconWizard17)

• Cross-Compatible Loading Screen (16:9 Aspect Ratio)

• DXT1 format preferred (only use PNG8 for PSP)

• PNG8 Compression is too harsh on large textures
      • Will need RGB-BGR swap for MUA1 PC
    • works in MUA1 PC and PSP

• Will get squashed on other consoles and XML1/XML2. Use this template only for MUA1 PC and PSP
    • 3 sizes:

• Console: 1024x512. Ideal for console modding, like PSP
      • Standard Definition (SD): 2048x1024. MUA default size, looks good most of the time
      • High Definition (HD): 4096x2048. Only needed if you're using a very large image

• No PNG8 SD or HD file, as they would be too big for the PSP anyways
    • Includes templates (courtesy of BaconWizard17)

• X-Men Legends II Character Selection Portrait

• PNG8 format preferred (only use DXT1 for GameCube)
    • Works in XML2 only (theoretically works in XML1)
    • 3 sizes:

• Console: 64x64. Ideal for console modding, like PS2, PSP, and GameCube
      • Standard Definition (SD): 128x128. Looks good most of the time
      • High Definition (HD): 256x256. Only needed if you're using a very large image

• Be sure to hex edit for your character for this to work
    • Includes offsets. No template necessary, since the image is square

• X-Men Legends II Power Icons

• PNG8 format preferred (only use DXT1 for GameCube)
    • Works in XML2 only (theoretically in XML1 as well)
    • 3 sizes:

• Console: 128x128. Ideal for console modding, like PS2, PSP, and GameCube
      • Standard Definition (SD): 256x256. Looks good most of the time
      • High Definition (HD): 512x512. Only needed if you're using very large icons

• Icons above Console resolution only show up correctly in the character select screen
        • To get higher resolution icons to work, name you Console icons "character_icons1.igb," and your higher res icons "character_icons2.igb." Set all icon references in the powerstyle (ps_character.engb) to "character_icons1.igb," and all icon references in the talents (character.engb) to "character_icons2.igb."
    • Inlcudes templates by BaconWizard17

• Ultimate Alliance Power Icons

• This is a default file, just uploading here for convenience. It's not possible to use other resolutions.
    • 1 Size:

• Standard Definition (SD): 256x256. Looks good most of the time
    • Inlcudes templates

Credits:
- BaconWizard17: Texture application, offset finding, hex editing, compiling, other templates
- Maegawa: MUA HUD template
- Nikita488: MUA Conversation portrait .max file
- UltraMegaMagnus: Other .max files, general help and assistance

September 05, 2019, 06:06PM #1 Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:28AM by BaconWizard17
Not sure why, but the offsets for these files don't work, even though I've checked them several times in texturefinder. Compiling back just doesn't seem to work, and the files crash the game. I'll try to look into it, and if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated

Edit: fixed

Tested all on wii but had to change them to dxt1

Only change it because the only reads dxt1

What I mean to say is that the png8 format (at least how I'm doing it) doesn't seem to be exactly the same as the format that the skinning programs support. Not sure why

September 18, 2019, 01:42PM #8 Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:28PM by BaconWizard17
Figured out what was wrong with the files. When I exported the texture that I applied to the model in 3DSMax, the png texture had 255 colors instead of the needed 256. I will fix that error on all the files and re-upload them. I'll also work on the XML2 power icon templates and the load screen templates

September 22, 2019, 03:19PM #9 Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:22PM by BaconWizard17
The HUDs have been updated. They should be true PS2 format now. Offsets have been tested and confirmed to work. If anyone could test them on console, that would be appreciated. I removed character select portraits for now, since they need to be re-done. They'll be back soon, along with remaining content

Templates have been updated to include X-Men Legends II Character Select Portraits!

Templates have been given a complete overhaul! I've finally added common load screens and XML2 power icons, and re-exported the other files to ensure they're in the proper format

Each item now includes a PNG8 version and a DXT1 version. Be sure to use the preferred version if you can. All offsets have been tested and should work, but let me know if there are any problems

I've also included all the necessary files that need to be added to MUAPS2Skinner, so that you can properly decompile your textures.

Templates have been given one (hopefully final) overhaul for maximum compatibility! I've added a 16:9 loading screen (for use with MUA1 PC and PSP), as well as a copy of the default MUA1 power icons for PC (it's not possible to make new ones as far as we know, at least not in a different size). I've also included the MUA1 power icon texture template, both as a .psd and .xcf file. Lastly, I added all the offsets into one convenient file, and also added the offsets in SkinnerUI format