Modding rundown: Sound

Started by Noelemahc, December 05, 2006, 11:53PM

Previous topic - Next topic
My own unintentional discovery: for my machine at least, if you have more than two heroes using this process for their sounds (let's say cyclops, sabertooth, and gambit), only two of them will actually work. The third (in my case, it was Gambit) apparently stays silent. Does that happen for anyone, or just me?

No. After reading your post, I went to go check: Cyclops, Gambit, Cable, and Cannonball all simultaneously work. Then I figured that maybe it was non-PSP chars; so I checked Cyclops, Gambit, Juggernaut, and Bishop, and they all worked. Don't know how your problem would have come about.

I have no idea either. Especially since my problem was Cyclops, Gambit, Cable. So...who know. It works with Cyclops, Gambit, and Phoenix, but Cable makes things screwy. Weird. Also, weird thing I found-

If you copy both sound files for a character (ex. char_m and char_v), and define their sounds as char_m, you still get their char_v responses, plus their jump sounds, etc which were for me previously missing also seem to apply. Weird. Too bad it doesn't help their power sounds work better, though hopefully we can find a way to pop that through too...(and be we, I mean probably not me, unless I get uberlucky...)

Umm.... that's prolly yer problem. I have them all herostat defined as _m and I get ALL their power sounds working, as well as the _v. The _v is meant to be secondary, as evidenced by official MUA chars.

Power sounds have ALWAYS worked for the ones I make.....

Hmmm...that's....pretty fricked up, actually. Good to know that my computer is actually so out of what that it won't do little things like access those power sounds.

So, seriously, when a power references like phoenx p1begin, it'll actually play that?

I so love my screwed up computer...

Try downloading my newest version of Cyc (from the 1st post of the converted chars thread), then pull this _v trick. ALL sounds (except menu callout/menu break, but that's an entirely different matter) should play. If not, then it must be yer comp.

When I play as cyc, I still run my old mod as a test. Actually, the problem was the usual: I needed to start a brand new game before any of the power sounds would play.

So all we really need to crack are the menu callout and break (which I dont' see happening soon). Good job breaking this much though. It helps a lot.

I don't see it happening at all :D

They are built into the same file (x_voice), and replacing MUA's x_voice results in them working (for Storm, Wolvy, Big C, Bobby, DP, and Stark too) for all XML2 chars, but then MUA's char callout/breaks are gone. And I already tried changing the filext of one (one zss, one zsm), to see if that would help (it didn't ;)) Which means we would need to figure out the formatting of the files first, then merge the 2. And figuring out the formatting of the files is something Noel worked on for a LONG time, sadly to no avail.

March 08, 2007, 09:40PM #68 Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:43PM by Noelemahc
Okay, for those who feel too lazy to read the first page of this thread:
The X-BOX sound format and the PC games ARE NOT FRIENDS. They don't cooperate none. Period. The best you can hope for is that the game won't crash when you activate them, though it most probably will, believe you me.

I CAN rip the sounds from ANY version, and convert them into the format of any version, but I CANNOT compile those back into ZSS/ZSMs for the game to use.

Brilliant call on char_v though, BliZZ. :D

QuoteI know the file is huge as hell, but I don't suppose only hexing out the playables you want from XML2 and saving it as it's own file would work, would it?  Or do you think the game would not recognize the new file?
Theoretically, it might work. The problem is, the moment you start removing something, you'll have to correct the hashes or the game will pretend the file isn't there... Instant hemorrhoids :D Feel free to try if you want to, though.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

<~ (No expertise in programming)

Wouldn't towav.exe have the algorithm we need buried somewhere deep in the program?

Nope. Decoding the format is something I can already do, the program just makes it easier. It doesn't need the hashes to get the sound OUT, after all. But the game needs those to get the sound IN. Which is my gripe with most extractors out there - they stop at the point where they can get something out and stop :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

BliZZ - Let me see if I grock what you are saying...  You copied the XML2 sounds (incl. PSPers) into the appropriate MUA directory then referenced them in herostat and shabang they work?  How did you copy off the PSPers sounds?  I'd love to check out a WiP Cannonball.  If it's just a matter of copying out his (sound) files off the PSP I should be able to do that myself, I have the USB-PSP cable.  If there's more to it than that, I'll need a little direction.  Would like to get Cable's actual voice as well.  Love the progress! 

As was pointed out several times, the VOICES (but not the power sounds) of the XML2PSPers are already included in the XML2PC x_voice.zss file, you just gotta label it right.
Quotegrock
What was the name of that book? "Stranger in a strange land"?

Crimson Dynamo says:

How different is the sound format between the XML1 PS2 and the X-box?  I might try screwing around with the PS2 sounds if it's plausible.  Otherwise I'd like to look at the x-box sounds if you wouldn't mind upping the file (assuming it isn't too big to upload...  I have no access to the X-box files, or I'd rip them myself).
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Vastly. All X-Box versions use the XBADPCM codec (which is a derivative of Microsoft ADPCM, but of slightly higher sound quality) while the PS2 uses a generic PCM-compressed format.

Tell me which files you need (as upping all 130+ megs is beyond my reach ATM) and I will see what can be done :D

Crimson Dynamo says: