MUA1 (2006 PC release): run above 1080p60Hz

Started by Tony Stark, May 29, 2019, 04:24PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 29, 2019, 04:24PM Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:33PM by Tony Stark
Hey everyone, I've found a way to run MUA1 above 1080p and 60Hz (60 FPS) on the original PC release! Before, that was the max limit. This uses a program called dgVoodoo2, which acts as a wrapper for DirectX 1-9 and 3DFx/Glide based games to wrap them into DirectX 11. (MUA uses DX9.)

Here's how you do it:

• In MUA, make sure your resolution is set to 1920x1080, so it uses the right aspect ratio.
  • Go here, and download the latest stable dgVoodoo2 version: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
  • In the download, go into the "MS/x86" folder and copy all the DLL files into the same location as your MUA installation's Game.exe. Then, copy over the dgVoodooCpl.exe file to the same place.
  • From the game install directory, run dgVoodooCpl.exe and it'll open a control panel.
  • In the panel window, click the little button near the top marked ".\" to add this game into the list of wrapped games.
  • In the General tab, under Appearance, select the "Windowed" option, and set the Scaling Mode dropdown to "Stretched".
  • Go over to the DirectX tab, and under Videocard, set VRAM to 1024MB. If you want anisotropic filtering, under Texturing set Filtering to "Force anisotropic 16x". Set Resolution to the resolution of your monitor. Under Behavior, uncheck "Application-controlled fullscreen/windowed state". Under Miscellaneous, uncheck "dgVoodoo Watermark"
  • Hit the Apply button, then hit OK.
  • Now you can launch the game, and it should run at your high resolution and refresh rate!

As a note, there is a drawback to resolutions above 1080p (I think this happens whether or not you use this), the Keyboard & Mouse UI is broken, with everything being small and moved up into the upper left, and things become tough to click on. I would recommend just using a controller, the game's controller UI works fine.

I hope this helps you guys play our favorite 14-year-old game on a modern PC! Unlike the remastered Steam version, you can use this to play at high res/refresh rates AND use all the mods you want!

Here's a video of the game running at 1440p120Hz (although YouTube cut the video framerate down to 60Hz, but the game was running at 120Hz when I captured it!): https://youtu.be/kmHuL8e3_Vk

Wow! Well done, this is something I've wanted for a while. Will be trying this out.

Quote from: superaceman34 on May 30, 2019, 12:28PM
Wow! Well done, this is something I've wanted for a while. Will be trying this out.

Thanks! Let me know how it goes for you, I want to make sure my instructions are clear enough that it works for everyone.

Awesome! Is there any chance to get a video capture of this? Sort of "Proof of Concept" kinda thing?

^^view MelloMods' Mods^^

Quote from: MelloMods on June 03, 2019, 04:45PM
Awesome! Is there any chance to get a video capture of this? Sort of "Proof of Concept" kinda thing?

I tried posting a video to YouTube but it's stuck at 360p. Here's the link, in case it updates to 1440p120Hz at some point: https://youtu.be/kmHuL8e3_Vk

Edit: now it's at 1080p60Hz, but that's already something the game has.

Edit 2: Working now, kind of! Turns out YouTube doesn't go above 60Hz, but it is at 1440p!

I finally got this to work in 4k today, and wanted to say "Thanks".
It's.. so beautiful... *sobs*..all the texture detail is visible even from far away, I can see Tigra's fur on the character select screen even before they are selected.
I did have to experiment a bit to get it to work on my setup:
on the general tab I used :full screen/unspecified scaling
on the directX tab I used 2048 Vram/ 3840x2160 resand unchecked everything else.
I did force anisotropic 16X just for the hell of it, but I'm not 100% sure it makes much difference.

Anyway, this has given a new lease of life to one of my old favourites, so again Thank You for finding it, and to the people who made it.

Quote from: thetommyboy2002 on October 28, 2019, 04:38AM
I finally got this to work in 4k today, and wanted to say "Thanks".
It's.. so beautiful... *sobs*..all the texture detail is visible even from far away, I can see Tigra's fur on the character select screen even before they are selected.
I did have to experiment a bit to get it to work on my setup:
on the general tab I used :full screen/unspecified scaling
on the directX tab I used 2048 Vram/ 3840x2160 resand unchecked everything else.
I did force anisotropic 16X just for the hell of it, but I'm not 100% sure it makes much difference.

Anyway, this has given a new lease of life to one of my old favourites, so again Thank You for finding it, and to the people who made it.

That's great! Hopefully this makes the game even more enjoyable!